Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What would you say are the DISTINCTIVE characteristics of Lutheranism? What makes Lutheranism, Lutheranism?

Okay, we can talk about cute girls, lime jello and the inability to clap during a worship service, but I'm thinking primarily of theology. And I'm looking for what generally applies across the board - among the 60 million Lutherans (as much as possible), historically and currently.

If a Hindu ask you, "What makes Lutheranism distinctive among the many Christian groups," what would be YOUR reply?

Thank you!

Pax

- Josiah

RevCowboy

Lutheran Pastor in small town Alberta
Dec 12, 2007
Spruce Grove
Visit site
✟16,024.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think there are several particularities that distinguish us.

Some of the most is our particular theology, and in fact no one comes close to doing theology like Lutherans have done. Almost all theologians of other denominations must look to Lutherans when the pursue a deeper theology. And all of greatest theologians of at least the last century, and perhaps the last 500 have been Lutherans or particularly concerned with Luther.

I think that Luther's Theology of the Cross is at once the most comforting and detestable of theologies. Its proclamation of the God hidden in plain sight on the cross forces Christians to recognize within themselves a great capacity for Sin and great need for God and this is the detestable part. The part of great comfort is that the Theology of Cross truly deals with they way we experience the world, a world that contains both wonderful joy and despicable evil, profound love and deep hate. And the Theology of the Cross proclaims a certain Grace and Love of God that is not matched in any other way of describing God, at least that I know.

But what probably distinguishes Lutheran's most visibly is our preaching and proclamation of the Theology of Cross. We perhaps look and worship similarly to Roman Catholics and Anglicans (and often they do liturgy better than we do, but not always), we can sound like evangelicals or other protestants, we seem to have a little bit of everyone else in us, or everyone else has a little bit of Lutheranism in them.

But still our theology of preaching Law and Gospel is unique. Again, the theologians of homiletics of other denominations must often take up our our theology of preaching when they seek a deeper and biblically founded preaching. In even the least of Lutheran sermons there is often a foundation of Law and Gospel that can be missing in what would be considered the best preaching of others.

Lutherans recognize the simplicity of the Gospel and shear complexity. To proclaim that the Law kills and that Grace brings New Life can be like trying to catch a greased pig, as soon as you have it slips from your grasp. It should be easy to proclaim that God alone saves, but it is even easier and more often the case in too many churches of all stripes and brands that it is preached that we save ourselves.

I am sure there is more that is distinctly Lutheran, but these strike me as some of the most important.

Reactions: LutheranMafia
Upvote 0

RadMan

Aug 22, 2007
Missouri
✟5,227.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good summation RevCowboy. Lutherans fall between the cracks of modern day religions. We don't fit into the "protestant" category even though Luther was the first portestor. And we don't fall into the RCC, EO niche. It's like where what everyone is looking for but can't or won't find. Mostly because the protestant movement is about what God can do for me. They are the center of their religion and not God. Whereas the RCC and EO go the opposite way and want to be God like. Actually now that I say that it sounds a lot like the protestants. It's all about me.........again. Maybe Lutherans are more selfless and know that no matter what we do we cannot advance ourselves one iota towards our salvation.

Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think that Luther's Theology of the Cross is at once the most comforting and detestable of theologies.
Comforting in a way that is utterly and completely unfathomable to those of a purely materialist mind, and yet profoundly comforting to those of us who understand the spirit of things far better than anything that an atheist could possibly fathom. It is the peace that passeth understanding.

[…]

Lutherans recognize the simplicity of the Gospel and sheer complexity. To proclaim that the Law kills and that Grace brings New Life can be like trying to catch a greased pig, as soon as you have it slips from your grasp. It should be easy to proclaim that God alone saves, but it is even easier and more often the case in too many churches of all stripes and brands that it is preached that we save ourselves.
Like trying to catch a greased pig, while that actions that are a reflection of our faith will indeed by our salvation or damnation, it is the character of our faith that dictates our actions, so to focus on actions rather than faith is a path to damnation, “the road to Hell is paved with good intentions”. The road to salvation is to focus on God in a selfless way, and to realize how ultimately selfless God Himself is.

Upvote 0

RevCowboy

Lutheran Pastor in small town Alberta
Dec 12, 2007
Spruce Grove
Visit site
✟16,024.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Comforting in a way that is utterly and completely unfathomable to those of a purely materialist mind, and yet profoundly comforting to those of us who understand the spirit of things far better than anything that an atheist could possibly fathom. It is the peace that passeth understanding.

Like trying to catch a greased pig, while that actions that are a reflection of our faith will indeed by our salvation or damnation, it is the character of our faith that dictates our actions, so to focus on actions rather than faith is a path to damnation, “the road to Hell is paved with good intentions”. The road to salvation is to focus on God in a selfless way, and to realize how ultimately selfless God Himself is.

As my confessions prof explain to us, living at the foot of the cross is to always be discovering and rediscovering the depth of our need of Christ. Instead of advancing ourselves towards salvation, we only live more deeply in beneath Christ's feet finding out just how much grace is undeserved and how badly we are in need of it.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Things I'D note, together....
These aren't necessarily completely UNIQUE to Lutheranism, but together and as practice, I think they help to define it

1. Epistemology. Lutherans strongly embrace Sola Scriptura with much humility. But they ALSO embrace Tradition with a strong sense of community and embrace of the communion of saints. They place that Tradition below God's Holy Scriptures, of course, but they embrace it as a people who are both Scrptural and Confessional. Lutherans embrace the Eucumenical Creeds, they study the ECF and church history - but they firstly study God's Scripture.

2. The Theology of the Cross. The one who "gets it" understands the essense of Lutheranism. It is to Lutheranism what TULIP is the Calvinism. It expresses the heart, the spirit of Lutheranism and reveals the fundamental humility toward self and focus on God.

3. Sola Gratia/Solus Christus/Sola Fide/Soli Deo Gloria. This is a distinctive we largely share with Calvinism and IMHO is the essense of all Protestantism. Lutherans, however, approach all this from the perspective of God's LOVE/GRACE/MERCY rather than God's soverignty - making for just a bit of a different emphasis. A LOT of Lutherans falls into line when this theology is understood and seen as foundational. BTW, for Lutherans, this is one doctrine - inseparable.

4. Law/Gospel Distinction. This is not an easy thing to "get" (I'm still working on it myself, lol) but it is one of the greatest contributions of Lutheranism to Christiandom. Many of the issues that once puzzeled me (OSAS, for example) become clear when this distinction is made. I wish the learned Lutherans here at CF would speak of this FAR more often - it is a GREAT insight.

5. Vocatio. This may be a minor thing, but it's one that I rejoice in. In contrast to Jewish and Calvinistic "work is a four-letter word, a result of the FALL, a duty;" in contrast to the Protestant Work Ethic; in contrast to the Catholic sacred/secular distinction, Luther saw work as ministry, service - something flowing from "tilling the garden' and thus from BEFORE the fall. We serve God by serving others - primarily in our vocation. I think this is a theology that our society needs to hear!

That's MY one cent, off the top of my head....

Replies?

Thanks!

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I'd break this up into two categories:

Themes of Lutheran identity and theology:

The Theology of the Cross
Law and Gospel
At Once Justified and Sinner
The incarnational-sacramental, or Means of Grace
Word and Sacrament
Two Kingdoms

Specifics of Lutheran doctrine:

Sola Scriptura, but without without despising historic church traditions
Justification by grace alone through faith alone
Universal atonement without universalism or salvation by free choice
Single predestination and the objective-subjection justification distinction
Real presence in the Eucharist
Infant baptism and baptismal regeneration
Priesthood of all believers
Liturgy of gospel and not law (sacramental, not sacrificial)

Fill in those terms and phrases however you'd like.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From a friendly Presbyterean: the beer.

We drink wine, you beer and the Baptists claim not to drink Moonshine. But as to getting really drunk, the Pentecostals get REALLY filled with the Spirit. The Romans drink just about anything in error, but blame it an "accident" and not the real substance.

Guys, this is a joke, a friendly joke, OK?

JR

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a Hindu ask you, "What makes Lutheranism distinctive among the many Christian groups," what would be YOUR reply?

Thank you!

Pax

- Josiah

It's all about what Spirit you imbibe (see my post on that).

After explaining that I would ask back "So, what kind of Hindu are you, the type that drinks water from the polluted Ganges daily or, as a former Hindu Prime Minister of India recommended, your own urine?"

As to the Muslim, he only drinks spirits while abroad criticizing the liberalism of the country that hosts him. And then the Muslim drinks to such excess it is little wonder he blows up!

OK, now, I am clearly pushing this joke to the edge. Just say the word and I'll delete it....and yet, there's some truth in these jokes.

JR

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
3. Sola Gratia/Solus Christus/Sola Fide/Soli Deo Gloria. This is a distinctive we largely share with Calvinism and IMHO is the essense of all Protestantism. Lutherans, however, approach all this from the perspective of God's LOVE/GRACE/MERCY rather than God's soverignty - making for just a bit of a different emphasis. A LOT of Lutherans falls into line when this theology is understood and seen as foundational. BTW, for Lutherans, this is one doctrine - inseparable.
I think the primary distinction between Lutherans and Calvinists should be noted.
Unlike Calvinists we believe that Christ died for all and we also believe that a person could resist God's call in a context of resisting Holy Spirit.

I absolutely agree with your last point, simply because it escapes some people.
Lutherans start with a premise that God loves all and many of the sermons are revolved aroung this foundation.
Many protestant denominations start off with a premise that a man is a sinner and many of their sermons revolve around that while the love of God is somehow moved to the back row.

I could not pinpoint for some time why I liked Lutheran sermons so much more than the Baptist ones (presuming the speakers are equally effective in ther presentation).
It took me a couple of years to realize that the Lutherans emphasize the love of God and Baptist emphasize the sinfulness of man.

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We drink wine, you beer and the Baptists claim not to drink Moonshine. But as to getting really drunk, the Pentecostals get REALLY filled with the Spirit. The Romans drink just about anything in error, but blame it an "accident" and not the real substance.

JR
One should never joke about beer in this forum.

We take beer seriously ... :liturgy::thumbsup::)

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

JR
Haven't seen you around here for a while.....how have you been, JR?? :wave::)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

2. The Theology of the Cross. The one who "gets it" understands the essense of Lutheranism. It is to Lutheranism what TULIP is the Calvinism. It expresses the heart, the spirit of Lutheranism and reveals the fundamental humility toward self and focus on God.

Good list!

I do perhaps have one caveat to #2:

Somebody once (I've forgotten who) pointed out to me that in the Heidelberg Disputation (where Luther perhaps most definitively talks about the theology of the cross vs. the theology of glory), Luther talks about what it means to be a "theologian of the cross" as opposed to a "theologian of glory." He does not systematically lay out what the theology of the cross is, compared to how Calvin systematically laid out TULIP. Accordingly, I suspect Luther would caution against anyone ever thinking that they really "get" the theology of the cross. But certainly, there are certain traits of theologians of the cross that he lists in the HD.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave:
Haven't seen you around here for a while.....how have you been, JR?? :wave::)

I have been hyperbusy. As a solo physician my practice sometimes goes from busy to insanity in a difficult to predict manner. It has been a very profitable time in terms of money, but little time to attend to the task of irritating y'all.

I did spend the night pondering the central question of this thread further.

Certainly the Muslims drink so heavily abroad they often blow themselves up, but what do they drink at home? Intellectual Kool-Aid.

As to the Jews, they drink water that is turned into wine, but they refuse to give Him the credit.

yada, yada, yada :wave:

JR

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.