Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i don't think there is one.....there are Orthodox evolutionists and Orthodox creationists.....and there are Orthodox who probably don't even think about it.....it doesn't really have anything to do with your salvation so the Church doesn't really take a stance on it.....as far as I know....

Upvote 0

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
To Life Immortal

Umm, I dont know the Orthodox view. My personal view is that God created the Universe out of Chaos. I believe in micro-evolution within species.

How did you get that bloke next to your name like that?

Peace and Long Life

Babochka

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NewToLife

Senior Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
London
✟11,839.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Orthodox do not really have a firm view for or against evolution, it is enough that creation is God's work.

What is important for Orthodox isnt so much the mechanics of creation anyway but rather the nature of it's relationship to Man, it is Man, as a conscious being that gives creation meaning and in turn it is God as a higher consciousness that gives Man meaning.

The important note is that if Man seeks meaning in creation then he is doomed to fail, his meaning can be found only in God. The secondary point of note is that Man assumes responsibility for creation because it finds it's meaning in him. This responsibility is modelled on the way in which God assumes responsibility for us through Christ, as such it is not power over but concern for creation that Man is called upon to show.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I personally (though i'm not yet Orthodox) believe that the early Apostles, their followers and the teaching since Moses is the only correct origin of life view, that the earth is 6,000-12,000 years old and God created the Earth and didn't evolve us from one common species/organism.

Evolution didn't exist till the latter 1800s and can't be correct since it arose as an opposition to God and is against everything we have stood for since the days of Moses.

In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

And later he formed man out of the dust of the earth and woman out of the man's rib. Not out of some organism or another animal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
88Devin07 said:
Evolution didn't exist till the latter 1800s and can't be correct since it arose as an opposition to God and is against everything we have stood for since the days of Moses.
Actually Darwinistic Evolution didn't exist till the latter 1800s. There were other evolution theories further back. I however believe in a literal Genesis. :)

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

What do you base this bolded part on? It was mostly in the States where we made it a battle between God and Science. WE turned it into that. I just wonder how many people we have turned off to Christianity because they were falsely told "if you believe in evolution, you can't be a Chrsitian". Such as statement irks me. This is still the running sentiment in much of America whereas in Europe it seems that most religious people (I've met and talked to) don't seem to care that much.

John

PS: Devin... it's not your statement that irks me at all. You hold a very firm belief in a literal 6 day creation and that is completely Orthodox. That's fine and I am certainly not going to challenge you on that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.