What is your favorite Bible parallel or reversal?

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you again.

May I ask a bit more about this? I found the canons - complete I think. It's a 77 page PDF.
If anyone is interested: http://www.saintjonah.org/services/greatcanon_sts.pdf

I was wondering about the Paschal homily? I found this:
On the Passover - Melito of Sardis - Kerux 4:1 (May 1989)

And just wondered if that's all of it?

Thanks so much again!

That's them! And full versions. Good finds. :thumbsup:

I'm partial to the SVS translation of the Paschal Homily just because of the poetics (it favors style over literalism), so if you come across a favorite passage from Melito let me know and I'll check my version to see what it looks like.

ALSO - totally forgot these - but anything by St. Romanos the Melodist (his Kontakia) is absolute gold for this. They can be really long, but are worth meditating on and chewing on. St. Ephrem the Syrian's poetry too. Fantastic stuff.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, that's soooo cool! I hadn't thought of or heard that before! Thank you for sharing this!

Isn't there also a Resurrection Gospel where Mary Magdalene mistakes the Resurrected Christ for a gardener? That would mean his tomb was in a garden, and that Christ is the fulfillment of Adam (the former gardener who failed in his garden).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's them! And full versions. Good finds. :thumbsup:

I'm partial to the SVS translation of the Paschal Homily just because of the poetics (it favors style over literalism), so if you come across a favorite passage from Melito let me know and I'll check my version to see what it looks like.

ALSO - totally forgot these - but anything by St. Romanos the Melodist (his Kontakia) is absolute gold for this. They can be really long, but are worth meditating on and chewing on. St. Ephrem the Syrian's poetry too. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks very much Macarius. :)

I am always thankful to find what I'm looking for online. :)

Of course, I forget that there can be different translations. ;). Thanks so much for the offer. I'm working on some catechism books at the moment, but hopefully I'll get to these soon. I have the feeling they may be more the sort of thing I'd like to work through slowly. I may be getting back to you and take you up on that. :)

Thanks again!

Reactions: Macarius
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's another one that came to mind:

In Genesis 11:1-9 the people are full of pride and arrogance, and division results with them all speaking different tongues.

There is a recapitulation in Acts 2:4-8 in which the Holy Spirit at Pentecost comes. Rather than pride and individuality, there is instead unity in diversity of tongues.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

In Genesis 11:1-9 the people are full of pride and arrogance, and division results with them all speaking different tongues.

There is a recapitulation in Acts 2:4-8 in which the Holy Spirit at Pentecost comes. Rather than pride and individuality, there is instead unity in diversity of tongues.

plus in the tower of Babel, it was man trying to rise up to God. at Pentecost, it was God who came down and filled man.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

:thumbsup: The kontakion of Pentecost:

When the most High came down and confused the tongues, / He divided the nations; / But when he distributed the tongues of fire / He called all to unity. / Therefore, with one voice, we glorify the All-holy Spirit!

Mary

Upvote 0