what is the right way of getting baptized?

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The right baptism is by immersion in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Nothing else is needed. Also remember that baptism is a testimony of your faith and obedience. Baptism does not, by itself, save.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a paper that may help:

AN OVERVIEW OF BAPTISM
This subject is presented here in brief to simply set forth fundamentals, and we hope thereby to not lose the truth of it. While it speaks of a relationship with the Lord, it is not associated with salvation as some people think. More thorough papers have been written.

A. Baptism literally means to be whelmed (Greek-baptizo), and so in the several uses in the Bible we see an overwhelming by water, by fire, or by the Holy Spirit.

B. Baptism by water is ordained by God as a testimony, whereby one might choose to be awash and take a stand for the Lord in separation from the unbelieving world; and it at least speaks of a desire to please and honor God, and is not the redemptive work of the Holy Spirit. It is "into the water" for immersion (Acts 8:38; Mk. 1:5). It needs to be viewed also as essential for assembly gathering.

C. Baptism by water does not save the soul ---give the new birth, ensure heaven, but it brings blessing; for God honors and blesses people who take a stand and honor Him (I Sam.2:30; Acts 10:35; Matt.25). Baptism in the gospels (e.g. Mark 16:16) says that one who continues to believe and is baptized will be preserved or kept, and also one who believes not is condemned. It refers to faithfulness in life, not the "new birth" and eternal life (see also Matt.28:19). Eternal life comes ONLY by fully believing on Christ, not by works of men (John 3:16; 1 Jn.5:11-13).

D. Baptism by water seems to also be a SYMBOLIC cleansing from sins and the old life (Acts 22:16) ---properly rendered: "…be baptized, AND have thy sins washed away calling on the Name of the Lord" –JND New Translation.It is a testimony by one of their repentance and decision to change ---see also it is "...a good conscience toward God" (I Pet.3:21). The recipient is taking a stand to honor the Lord (see section B above).

E. Baptism by water is viewed in several ways:

1. Baptism of repentance which John, the Baptist, and others did for believers, was
a symbol of identification or association with the coming truth of redemption. John preached the coming of the anointed One of God and the hope of the world, and God-fearing people were stirred to confess their sins, wash, and do right before God (see Matt.3:11; Acts 19:1-5). That time has passed.

2. Christian baptism is unto Jesus Christ (as also compared in Acts 19). This is the truth of all baptism today.
a) For one who is mature, it is at least confessing Him as the Son of God, and is a
personal desire to be faithful, as noted above. It is standing apart from the
unbelieving world, and association with Christ's death for sin and resurrection to
new life (Rom.6:3-4), whether or not one fully comprehends. The one performing
the baptism ought to feel satisfied with the sincerity of the desire (Acts 10:44-48).
God alone knows the heart and our weakness.

b) Household baptism refers to Christians dedicating their children unto the Lord
(like unto circumcision Gen.17: 12-13; Ex.12:48-49), and as owning God's word to
save (keep) their house and bless (Acts 11:14; Acts 16:15,31). When the child who
is baptized is older they should be helped by parents to appreciate what their
baptism represents and live for the Lord. This baptism is not the same as what
some call "infant baptism", which is non-believers baptizing all infants for salvation.

One should understand that water baptism speaks only of desire, but places one under responsibility to at least seek to honor the Lord. It is explained in Romans 6:3-4 & 11 (both kingdom of heaven and kingdom of God). See also Matt.28:19 (kingdom of heaven -profession).

F. Baptism of the Holy Spirit refers to the collective new work of the Spirit of God on the day of Pentecost (Matt.3:11; Acts 2; Acts 10:44), when the church was formed; and to the collective work in the church thereafter (I Cor.12:13). It is not used in connection with individuals, probably to avoid confusion with water baptism.

G. Baptism of fire (Matt.3:11) refers to searching judgment and purifying.

H. Baptism of suffering was the cross of Christ (Mark 10:38).
- R.L.D., from biblecounsel.net

One will hear teaching and diverse ministry along our pathway from many sources . One should always test it by the Word of God (see John 5:39; Acts 17:11; II Tim.2:15; II Tim.3:16; Titus 1:9). Whether it is profitable often depends, too, on our state of soul. This paper is prepared with much care and prayer to be a help and honor the Lord. Comments and questions are welcome.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
is it truth reading the acts? after the receiving the holy spirit and how do i hear god? i have schizophrenia
Through His Word the Holy Scriptures. Most people do not hear an audible voice.

The last church I went to before I moved had a member and friend who had schizophrenia. He was a Bible tract handing out machine and super fervent for the Lord. The kind of guy people are all like "Your fire is going to burn out" But keeps going, and going, and going. He is like the energizer bunny with gospel tracts. He goes through hundreds of those things and I don't know how he dose it.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think being immersed in water is a more meaningful style of baptism. It better represents what Jesus did for us through his death and resurrection.
Not to mention that is how they did it in Scripture. Jesus was baptized via full water immersion so I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Baptists where originally called Anabaptists as an insult. Well really anyone who believed that one should as it says in scripture "believe" AND THEN be baptized was persecuted and called a Anabaptist. Anabaptists (from Neo-Latin anabaptista, from the Greek ἀναβαπτισμός: ἀνά- "over again" and βαπτισμός "baptism") The word was ment to mock those that didn't believe in infant baptism. The term basically means rebaptist. This was around the time of the inquisition. If you were caught with a copy of the Bible in the common tongues (English, Dutch, ect. ect.) you could have been killed. A lay person quoting scripture could be in danger as would be anyone teaching that one must believe, and then be baptized.

There is an out of print book called In Editha's Days which documents such persecutions. It reads like a Christian version of the diary of Ann Frank only it is set during the Inquisition. A local church currently prints the book under the title (The Bible Makes us Baptists) It can be picked up from local church Bible publishers for $8. I recommend it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums