What is the best way to define a "kind"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the best way to define a "kind" (as in animals)?

This should be a hard boundary that has not been observed to be crossed.

I'm wondering if it can be defined by DNA, but I don't know enough about DNA to know.

I believe the following have been observed for particular DNA sequences:

Cross breeding causing variations from a pool of possibilities (Mendellian variation?)

Copying of a particular sequence (polyploidy?)

Degradation in a given sequence (typically mutation?)

Have any other variations been observed? In particular entirely new DNA sequences resulting in changed morphology?

For my TE brothers and sisters - consider this a thought experiment. If you WERE to try to define a "kind" -- how would YOU do it?

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
What you are looking for is some kind of a barrier to mutation.
Literally something which will not allow mutation past a certain point.

The problem is that mutation involves things as large as polyploidy to as small as single nucleotide substitutions. There are two major lines of thinking that make me believe that no such barriers or boundaries exist.

The first is that retrovirus' swap genes from very different creatures. We can get pig RT carrying porcine genes into the human genome (big issue in xenotransplantation). There seems to be no barrier to swapping genes via RT's.

The second is the universality of the genetic code, ie triplet nucleotide to tRNA encoding. IMHO, this is the perfect place for God to have signed life. Give each kind it's own code and poof, no evolution possible between kinds.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think 'kind' just means different sorts of animals with no biological definition other than the different types of animals that could be distinguished by Neolithic or early Bronze Age man. There is no suggestion of fixity of species or animals 'reproducing according to kind'.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know if there is any definition more consistent than this:

A "created kind" ... is whatever my neo-creationist brethren think it is.

Because the idea of "created kinds" certainly has little, if any, relevance outside neo-creationism.

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:

Well, there is the problem. Creationists are trying for a definition, NOT based on what it is, but rather on what it isn't. So every time the evidence shows further "crossing," the definition is changed, not to conform to the biology but rather to conform to the politics of creationism. It is a dishonest fudge factor.

I'm wondering if it can be defined by DNA, but I don't know enough about DNA to know.

Cross breeding causing variations from a pool of possibilities (Mendellian variation?)

Have any other variations been observed? In particular entirely new DNA sequences resulting in changed morphology?
Sure they have. Mutations have resulted in duplications and changes of gene sequences, expanding on the genome of a species. F.ex., have you ever heard of the "tin-man gene"? A mutation in the esophagus/stomach defining genes of a roundworm (I think that was it, anyway, AFAIR) with a few mutational changes did end up resulting in an extra tubular system in some roundworms. This then evolved into a circulatory system instead and allowed for growth in the size of organisms, as they suddenly could pump nutrients and wastes around in their bodies instead of relying on simple diffusion through their outer surface. All animals that split off at that point have the duplicated system in some form or another. Others don't and continued to be roundworms.

And we certainly have seen duplication errors during mitosis leading to doubling of Chromosome numbers. It is actually rather common in plants, which never evolved the correctional mechanisms to deal with that.

For my TE brothers and sisters - consider this a thought experiment. If you WERE to try to define a "kind" -- how would YOU do it?
As a species. Certainly not as creationists do it, which is all over the place, talking about some as species (ie. dogs and cats) and others as entire phyla (ie. insects, a group of possibly 10 mill species.).

But if you want a "kind" to fit what you talked about above, then it would have to be something that encompassed the entire biota as all life on Earth shares the same components and are related. So I would probably have to use the very existence of the standard DNA base pairs as the barrier and conclude that all life on Earth of any type is one "kind." That would be the only way this could work.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
steen said:
F.ex., have you ever heard of the "tin-man gene"? A mutation in the esophagus/stomach defining genes of a roundworm (I think that was it, anyway, AFAIR) with a few mutational changes did end up resulting in an extra tubular system in some roundworms. This then evolved into a circulatory system instead and allowed for growth in the size of organisms, as they suddenly could pump nutrients and wastes around in their bodies instead of relying on simple diffusion through their outer surface. All animals that split off at that point have the duplicated system in some form or another. Others don't and continued to be roundworms.
I'm not sure it was the tinman gene. Googling that talked about a cool gene that appears to be responsible for helping cells differentiate into heart cells. Do you have any links for the roundworm development you mention? It sounds interesting.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
laptoppop said:

One of the difficulties in communication between creationists and evolutionists is that they use a different set of vocabulary and concepts.

Creationists typically think of evolution--especially macro-evolution--as crossing a "kind barrier". But, as you say, such a barrier ought to be a hard boundary that cannot be crossed.

The scientific vision of evolution is not one of crossing barriers, but one of establishing barriers where there were none before. As we go back in time, we see these barriers between species becoming thinner, fuzzier and eventually melting away.

Here and now we see many breeds of domestic dogs, as well as many hybrids of these breeds, but we visualize these as all variants on an original dog-species. We also see wild populations of dogs, wolves, coyotes, etc. and even a YECist sees these as all variants of a single original dog-kind. How did that original dog-kind become many different species and sub-species? By the introduction of barriers between separate populations of the original dog-kind, that resulted in the morphological differences between them.

The same occurs in bears. Today we never see a bear that is just a bear: we see brown bears, black bears, polar bears, Asian bears, etc. There are barriers between these populations that did not exist when there was a single ancestral population of bear-kind.

Now what the scientists see is that just as the current divisions within "kinds" melt away as we move back in time, we also see the current divisions between "kinds" melting away. The original dog-kind population was not the beginning of dogs. Nor was the original bear-kind population the beginning of bears. Before there were bears and dogs, there were populations of bear-dogs. So that dog and bear are each variants of the ancestral bear-dogs, just as black bears and polar bears are variants of the ancestral bear, and foxes and wolves are variants of the ancestral dog.

Go back still futher, and the current barriers between all mammalian carnivores melt away and you find nothing you can call dog, bear, cat or seal, but rather a primitive mammalian carnivore with generalized characteristics, rather than the specialized features which mark different carnivore families today.

Run this track in reverse, and you see no crossing of boundaries but rather the erection of boundaries as populations become more diverse and can be distinguished one from another by their special features.

No crossing of boundaries occurs in evolution, but rather new groups are formed within established groups. That is why we are able to classify living forms in a nested hierarchy, with the largest and most inclusive nest being life itself.

Definitely not. Some DNA sequences are almost identical in function across an immense range of species. The tinman gene which regulates heart development has already been mentioned. The pax-6 gene regulates eye development in species as diverse as fruit flies and mice. You can take the pax-6 gene from a mouse embryo and insert it in a fruit fly embryo and it will produce eye tissue. Even more amazing it produces fruit fly eye tissue, not mouse eye tissue, even though it came from a mouse embryo.

The more we study DNA, the more we see the fundamental unity of all life forms.

Generally speaking hybridization or cross-breeding only works when the parents of the hybrid are closely related--breeds of the same species or closely related species of the same genus. So from a YEC perspective they would already be of the same kind. When the parents are not closely related the hybrid is often infertile or inviable.

Right. Polyploidy is the term used when a whole chromosome or set of chromosomes is duplicated resulting in a new chromosome number. But smaller sequences, genes, triplets or single nucleotide bases can also be duplicated.

This is another case where creationist vocabulary simply does not jibe with scientific terminology, so it is difficult to know the meaning of the term. "Degradation" is not a defined term. Perhaps what you are referring to is a non-functional gene or pseudogene. For example, all mammals have a gene whose function is to produce Vitamin C. Because Vitamin C is produced internally, most mammal species do not need to ingest it via their food. This gene exists in humans, but it includes a mutation that makes it non-functional. It does not produce Vitamin C. This is also true of the living species most closely related to humans: the other species in the hominid family. This group of mammals must get their Vitamin C from their environment. Only one other mammal is not capable of producing Vitamin C. And for the same reason. It has the gene, but there is a mutation in the gene that has rendered it non-functional. Not the same mutation as found in the hominid group, but the end result is the same.

Is that an example of what you mean by degradation?

What do you mean by entirely new DNA sequences? Remember DNA is a quasi-alphabetic system. A DNA sequence is a sequence of nucleotide bases, and there are only four of them. These get translated via the universal DNA code into a signalling system for assembling amino acids. There are 64 possible arrangements of nucleotide bases in the code, and 20 amino acids used to build proteins. So there is even redundancy built in, such that up to six different DNA sequences can signify the same amino acid.

Twenty amino acids are not much fewer than the 26 letters of the English alphabet. And just as the alphabet can be arranged in millions of sequences, so can amino acids, to form all the variety of proteins needed to carry out the functions of the cell.

Now within this framework, what possible sequences of DNA could be identified as "entirely new"? Just what standard of "newness" are we looking for? A new "spelling", a new gene, a new protein? All of these have been observed.

We also see a whole lot of cooptation, that is the reusing of an existing structure for a new purpose. The ASPM gene in mice was named for its function in regulating the formation of the spindle when the cell is dividing. But in humans, a variation of the same gene seems to be involved in the growth of the brain. When this gene is damaged, the child is born with an abnormally small head (microcephaly) and brain, and often a degree of mental retardation.

Much morphological change is developed through coopting existing structures rather than inventing totally new ones.

I would define it just as Linnaeus did: species.

"Species" is derived from the Latin translation of the Hebrew "min" which in English is translated as "kind". Since scholarly work in Linnaeus day (both scientific and theological) was done in Latin, I think it obvious that when he referred to "species" he identified them with the Hebrew "min" i.e. "kind".

Historically, it was not until the late 19th century that it was proposed that "kind" referred to a group of related species instead of each species separately.

Reactions: steen
Upvote 0

Marshall Janzen

Formerly known as Mercury
Jun 2, 2004
BC, Canada
Visit site
✟8,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, excellent post Gluadys. I'd rep you if I could.

And laptoppop, kudos for starting a thread to ask these kinds of definitional questions. Too often they seem to be ignored.

Also, count me as another TE who would define kind as species.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
steen said:
F.ex., have you ever heard of the "tin-man gene"? A mutation in the esophagus/stomach defining genes of a roundworm (I think that was it, anyway, AFAIR) with a few mutational changes did end up resulting in an extra tubular system in some roundworms. This then evolved into a circulatory system instead and allowed for growth in the size of organisms, as they suddenly could pump nutrients and wastes around in their bodies instead of relying on simple diffusion through their outer surface. All animals that split off at that point have the duplicated system in some form or another. Others don't and continued to be roundworms.
As I re-read this, I wonder if you are talking about an observed mutational sequence or a possible sequence. Is there specific evidence for this chain of events, or laboratory confirmation?
Thanks,
-lee-

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-Mercury- said:
And laptoppop, kudos for starting a thread to ask these kinds of definitional questions. Too often they seem to be ignored.
Its not my job, or life pursuit, but I really have an interest in this stuff, and I want my views to be able to stand up to any level of honest examination. If they don't stand up - time to change them.
-lee-

Reactions: Mallon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the post Gluadys. Seems like the science of DNA / RNA/ etc. has exploded our biological knowledge -- and that it remains a rich mine for future understanding as well.

Your post makes me wonder -- what is the Biblical support for "kinds" being inviolate? Gotta crack open the Book tonight. I seem to remember a verse in Deut. that talks about not mating across kinds -- why would that be there unless it were possible? Time for more research!
-lee-

Upvote 0

XTE

Jun 27, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟3,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
laptoppop said:
Its not my job, or life pursuit, but I really have an interest in this stuff, and I want my views to be able to stand up to any level of honest examination. If they don't stand up - time to change them.
-lee-

One of the greatest things a person can do is admit when they are wrong. Do it for your family and watch their faces smile bigger than you've ever seen. They start to cry most of the time because even they know how hard a thing it is to simply say, "I was wrong." Then and there they know you love them more than the world.

It's so hard to utter 3 words as a human being.

I did it once and it didn't start with my switch from YEC to TE, but it did happen with my YEC to TE switch and it continues today as the most solid tool to making me wiser. Self-doubt. .....instead of self-praise. :)

Reactions: I_Love_Cheese
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.