What is the best Bible Translation for Memorization

BeccaCheria

Aug 31, 2011
✟15,187.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In reading and studying I use the King James Version Bible, with the Amplified Bible. I need to begin memorizing bible verses but not too sure if I should continue to use the KJV to memorize. Some people have suggested the English Standard Version for memorization saying it is easier to memorize...what do you use for memorization?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use the Holman Christian Standard Bible and it is wonderful. Alot prefer the KJV because the poetic style of English seems easier to remember. What I teach others the keys to memorizing scripture are: 1) Ask the One who inspired the scriptures, the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:21) to help you. 2) if you have a hard time remembering words, try to remember key words from the verse, those will help fill in the rest of scripture. I think the important thing about "hiding God's word in your heart" is this, not to pressure yourself into knowing every single verb, adverb, etc about the scriptures, BECAUSE EACH TRANSLATION WILL INTERPRET THE ORIGINAL DIFFERENTLY, so if you memorize in KJV, the word will be different in the NIV, ESV, etc. I think as long as you understand the thought of God, the attitude, the purpose you'll be ok.

Upvote 0
P

PeterAV

King James is the only true Bible, so there should not be any here playing "I PREFER"
with the true words of God.
All the other versions are hyper corrupted.
NIV? Don't deceave yourself about that one.
Try memorizing Acts 8:37 and all the other verses they ripped out of the Bible.
We are to be held accountable to God and his pure word.
But today, each has their own "PREFERENCE" and sit in judgment against the very words of God.
For shame, Church. Grow up.
PeterAV
Every word of God is pure:
Not in any other modern fake versions, with purposeful errors and omissions.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PeterAV, you realize that the KJV is itself just an "impure" translation of the original word of God right? No way could any English vocabulary suffice to fully express God's intent and purpose with His word. The English can come close, but only with the Holy Spirit teaching and instructing through the Word of God can a person truly know the thoughts of the Lord. So people like yourself who claim KJV superiority, or the KJV is the only authorized scripture and all others are perverted, are yourselfs guilty of a greater crime against the word. Who are you to judge another believer because the NIV, NKJV, or any other translation speaks to them? You realize when the KJV first was printed no one liked it. Said it was too modern and rejected it? And in your last post in this thread you said even the New King James is corrupt. Apparently, you have no idea that the NKJV was translated from the exact same manuscripts as the King James Version. So if the NKJV is corrupt then so is the KJV. What do you say to that? You should back your claims up if you are so sure that you are correct. I'll pray for the Lord to enlighten you to His truth, not to some tradition. God bless you.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I believe the KJV is the 'most pure' if you will ... for sure ... the persons who translated it acknowledge very carefully what they did and what they didn't know, etc. ... it's obvious if someone was to read the Word who spoke anything other than Greek or Hebrew it would have to be translated ... and a lot of other stufff that in the long run is just more diversion ... diversion keeping our eyes off the Lord ...

I believe God is perfectly capable of speaking to whomever He chooses through whichever bible He chooses ... He certainly doesn't even need a Bible to speak through, if He so chooses ...

maybe the accountability isn't always with the the reader ... maybe it's with the one who changed the Word ...

have no idea why others wouldn't choose to know the closest thing to Truth they could ... but, it's just not my business ... can't understand a teacher or pastor using a different version, but, again ... not my business ...

also believe He will lead those He chooses into all Truth ... and if one is seeking Him He will eventually show them what is sorely lacking in the versions 'worked over' ... and it's not a few scriptures ... it's many and VERY crucial ones that have been changed ... that actually change the very meaning ...

I agree we have no business 'judging' His Word ... and that includes the 'bad' books ... a fine line between discernment and judgement ...

I discern the one we should use is KJV for sure ...
I don't judge others if they don't ...
and I darn sure don't judge God's interpretation of the whole thing ...

God will inspire us to knowledge how He chooses ... not us ...

would like to add if you're choosing another than KJV it would be wise to research the issue with the one you use ... so that you make an informed choice ... based upon what the Lord speaks to you personally ...

all that said ... for me it's like which church you should go to ... God takes us where He needs us ... not where we think He should have us ... I would never tell anyone which church to go to ... and I wouldn't tell anyone which Bible to use ... they should be good with the Lord on that ... not me ... or any man ... only the Lord ...

it concerns me a great deal that many may be discouraged from reading the Word at all because it's become such an overwhelming 'problem' of what's right and who to believe that they might not be equipped to discern ...

it would seem we should remember there are different levels of understanding ... does it really matter to the one who hasn't accepted the Lord and just wants to know God ... whether they know Lucifer's name was removed ... or the verses that tell us God is against those that teach His children to fly to save their lives ... does it really matter if they don't even know who the Lord is ... I don't know ... I just know I hope they start reading something about Him before it's just too late ... and I don't want to be the one who turns them 'off' to reading because they're scared of getting in trouble for not reading the right one ...

jmho
lilmiss

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the arguments about modern scholarship and manuscripts aside (although that is a discussion worth having, but not here) I have nothing against the KJV. I do own a couple, even bought a 400 yr anniversary edition which is stellar to say the least. My thing with it is this, the language is so outdated. Is it not appropriate to encourage people to use a translation that is modern in language and vocabulary? I would rather read the HCSB (my preferred) anyday than the KJV just because the language is modern. Now I'm not casting fingers at anyone who prefers the KJV, I only wish those who say the KJV is the only authorized and then condemn others for not using it would get their facts straight. It is not a perfect translation of the original Greek documents, no English translation could be. It is a good one though, as stated in my last post and lilmissmontana's the Holy Spirit will guide the believer into God's truth through whatever translation He will. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In reading and studying I use the King James Version Bible, with the Amplified Bible. I need to begin memorizing bible verses but not too sure if I should continue to use the KJV to memorize. Some people have suggested the English Standard Version for memorization saying it is easier to memorize...what do you use for memorization?

I'd go with KJV. The older archaic style sticks in my head better. Using language to memorize, that I don't use in everyday conversation seems to help me keep it clear in my memory.

But that's just me, personally.

Upvote 0

Laura Phillips

Laura Phillips
Mar 5, 2012
Heaven
✟8,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
It would be easiest to memorize your favorite. Which is a good way to make the decision because if it is easy to do, you can do even more of it.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
...would like to add if you're choosing another than KJV it would be wise to research the issue with the one you use ... so that you make an informed choice ... based upon what the Lord speaks to you personally ...
I’m not so sure that this would be such a great idea if you have a strong liking for the peculiarities of the KJV. To my knowledge there is virtually no contemporary Greek or Hebrew scholar who would give his support to the text of the KJV though they will certainly give it credit when it faithfully follows the Greek text as against another specific version; of course there are some who give their support to the Majority Text but this is still not the KJV.

Allegiance to the KJV is essentially based on sentiment and tradition so if anyone wants to maintain their commitment to this version then they would be well advised not to research the topic.

After I became a believer in 1972 it did not take me all that long to work out who used the KJV; they were usually the speakers who would ask “Who’s got an Amplified with them?” What I quickly realised that there were many so called “faithful” King James users who were frequently stumped by the obscure and dated English that it employed; at least the Amplified allowed them to quote another source and as it was a paraphrase and not a Bible it allowed them to sort of remain true to their trusty and “reliable” version. There were certainly many thousands of King James users who were very excited when the New King James came out as it allowed them to quickly discard their old “faithful and true” edition; too bad that the NKJV was based on the Majority Text and not with the Received Text of the KJV – so much for true loyalty!

Even though it is becoming uncommon to hear anyone speak from the KJV within my circles, when it does happen it’s not hard to notice how they struggle with word pronunciation and they also regularly seem to struggle with the KJV English word order for the Greek.

During the 80's I used to run a sizable Christian bookshop in our church and one day the senior minister came up to me and asked why I was promoting the NASB as against his trusty old KJV. I simply told him that he was my best salesman as he was always referring to the Amplified which convinced most people that it was time to change. If this supposedly well seasoned individual who was raised on the KJV was always struggling with it (as were many other speakers) then obviously it was time for a change.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Even though it is becoming uncommon to hear anyone speak from the KJV within my circles, when it does happen it’s not hard to notice how they struggle with word pronunciation and they also regularly seem to struggle with the KJV English word order for the Greek.

I don't have a problem understanding ... have never come to this conclusion ... and don't know anyone who has ever noticed or said this ...

as I said, I believe the Lord is perfectly capable of speaking through any version ... and I stand by everything I said ...

feel to add ... there is such a thing as taking the Bible and 'educating' oneself until the Holy Spirit gets overlooked ...

a thought ocurred to me while reading all this ... nothing more than food for thought ...

we live in a time when morality and common sense and all such things are headed straight out the window ... about the time man got 'educated' ...

I choose to believe the Lord is bigger than all our 'versions' ...

Upvote 0

TheCharismaticOne

Charismatic Pentecostal
Feb 7, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟7,657.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
King James is the only true Bible, so there should not be any here playing "I PREFER"
If the king james was the only bible that existed there would be far fewer youthful Christians. It is hard to read and understand.

Anyway, the bible I would use to memorize is the NASB or NKJV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel411

Still a Newbie
Jan 15, 2012
✟15,406.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
feel to add ... there is such a thing as taking the Bible and 'educating' oneself until the Holy Spirit gets overlooked ...

a thought ocurred to me while reading all this ... nothing more than food for thought ...

we live in a time when morality and common sense and all such things are headed straight out the window ... about the time man got 'educated' ...

I choose to believe the Lord is bigger than all our 'versions' ...

Amen :thumbsup:

Upvote 0