✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Thes 3:14-16:
14If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. 15Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
Romans 14:9-11:
9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written: “ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.’ ”[a]

It seems often on these fora, I read a brother or sister in Christ justifying strong and critical remarks by saying that they are only speaking "the truth." and then they say they are required to do so in order to save them or correct them, or somthing like that.
Usually (no--always), this is in dealing with an area of doctrine or theology that is not related to accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior of our lives, but an issue that is debated within the Christian faith.
What is our responsibility and is it always the same in every situation? Are we to speak up and "correct" a brother or sister when we think their beliefs are in error? Or are we to simply love them and accpet them as fellow brothers and sisters in the faith?

bloodofthelamb12

...i'm just trying to stay afloat...
Jan 29, 2004
Ft Hood, TX
✟716.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly, we as Christians often forget one very simple fact: the truth can kill if not tempered with Christian kindness. I, for one, have hurt many when I, genius :doh: that I am, open my mouth and insert both feet to the knee.

It is our moral obligation not merely to speak Truth, but also to speak Love; to speak wisely; being at all times careful to fill our mouths with the same constructive, hopeful words as Christ speaks into our hearts.

Upvote 0

fluffy_rainbow

I've Got a Secret ;-)
Oct 20, 2004
Georgia, USA
✟2,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

Proverbs 12:1 "Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish."

Proverbs 15:10 "Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die."

I think it is safe to say that the Word of God is our tool to correct our Brothers and Sisters in love and truth. Not for the sake of puffing ourselves up or to condemn them, but to point them in the right direction.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fluffy_rainbow said:
2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

Proverbs 12:1 "Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish."

Proverbs 15:10 "Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die."

I think it is safe to say that the Word of God is our tool to correct our Brothers and Sisters in love and truth. Not for the sake of puffing ourselves up or to condemn them, but to point them in the right direction.

I think these are good scriptures to post. Now how do we reconcile it with the Romans quote above?

Upvote 0

fluffy_rainbow

I've Got a Secret ;-)
Oct 20, 2004
Georgia, USA
✟2,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
herev said:
I think these are good scriptures to post. Now how do we reconcile it with the Romans quote above?

Good question. There's always the cliche, "love the sinner, hate the sin". I tend to believe that there's a difference between correction and condemnation. For example:

Scenario #1: A sister in Christ and I go to the mall and she's wearing a tube top and skimpy shorts. I would be doing to loving thing by pointed out the verses of Scripture that illustrate the importance of modest dress.

Scenario #2: Same situation only instead of pointing out the Scriptures I yell at her, "why do you always dress like a harlot? God doesn't like that, you know?"

In scenario 1 I am using the Bible to lovingly point my sister in Christ in the right direction. In scenario 2 I am making myself out to be self-righteous by flaming her and not offering up any sound Biblical alternatives to her actions.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fluffy_rainbow said:
Good question. There's always the cliche, "love the sinner, hate the sin". I tend to believe that there's a difference between correction and condemnation. For example:

Scenario #1: A sister in Christ and I go to the mall and she's wearing a tube top and skimpy shorts. I would be doing to loving thing by pointed out the verses of Scripture that illustrate the importance of modest dress.

Scenario #2: Same situation only instead of pointing out the Scriptures I yell at her, "why do you always dress like a harlot? God doesn't like that, you know?"

In scenario 1 I am using the Bible to lovingly point my sister in Christ in the right direction. In scenario 2 I am making myself out to be self-righteous by flaming her and not offering up any sound Biblical alternatives to her actions.
:amen:

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks herev.
Many times here on CF, it boils down to worldview issues at the very basis and interpretation issues at a level somewhat above that. I say tomato you say tomato....well on paper it looks the same to me, but it most likely is different.

Had a discussion last night with a fellow church member about eschatology. We agreed to go our seperate ways because our interpretations were so incredibly different....but we went our seperate ways in love and peace. It is one thing to challenge one another on doctrine....it is another thing to demand that I have all of the answers and that my interpretation (in an area of the non-essentials...which could also be open to interpretation) is the 100% correct one. Hell hath no fury like a dogmatist scorned.

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
ClementofRome said:
Hell hath no fury like a dogmatist scorned.

Hahaha..that's a nice little saying. :)

I think it is the danger of certainty too. When we become so proud that we feel we alone have God's truth at our fingertips then we have lost our humility. I'm strongly in favour of God doing the convicting and pretty much leave that in his hands. It's when we are weak that God is strong. When we seek to change others we stand in the way of God changing them. If we admit our own weakness and in humility simply love the person, then love breaks down those barriers. We can communicate so much more effectively we are not contending with each other. Leadership is by example too, and living the example is far more effective than leadership by command alone. As Christ is our leader, so we should do as he did and take the judgement of man to the Cross with us. Christ said, to paraphrase, "If you do not believe the words that I tell you, I do not judge you." He spoke more of not judging than he ever did of judging. In a forum such as this we see the real worth of this teaching. All around us we have differences in doctrine, but we have unity in the love of Christ, or at least we should. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

1 Cor 13:4-7
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.