What is intelligence?

FordPrefect

WWADGD
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟788.00
Faith
Atheist
In this&nbsp;thread, XmagickaX&nbsp;states that "Right...this is called <I>adaptation </I>and can be seen in most animals. But even as you pointed out, they forget quickly, so they have not actually LEARNED anything!"&nbsp;

Which causes me to ask is intelligence related to long-term memory retention? Am I&nbsp;intelligent because I can remember what I learn (most of the time), or am I intelligent because I can learn? Or am I intelligent for another reason?

XmagickaX&nbsp;also states "I hope you didn't seriously mean that. Dolphins cannot create buildings, design cars etc...what gives man this intelligence but not animals?"

My only response is for XmagickaX to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

Originally posted by FordPrefect
Which causes me to ask is intelligence related to long-term memory retention? Am I&nbsp;intelligent because I can remember what I learn (most of the time), or am I intelligent because I can learn? Or am I intelligent for another reason?

What makes you think you're intelligent?

Upvote 0

FordPrefect

WWADGD
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟788.00
Faith
Atheist
I am assuming, npetreley, you mean that philosophically, rather than insultorally ;)

And that is how i will answer that question... Which is important because it requires a definition of what intelligence is.
I think there can be many levels/degrees/facets of intelligence, for instance; I think the ability to learn is very important, as is understanding cause and effect. Although one does not have to realize what the abstract term "cause and effect" mean, but only to be aware, like a dog, that if it chews up its master's shoe, it will get a swat.

I also think that that higher forms of intelligence require self-awareness, the ability to think abstractly (in mature and healthy specimens of a species).

There are many more attributes that I attach to intelligence, and I think I fit the bill for all of them, to one degree or another. But is intelligence related to memory?

And right back at ya, why do you think you are intelligent?

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Um....42!

Oh sorry wrong question...I think intelligence is the ability to learn and to pass knowledge on (teach I guess), so language or communication is important.

Dolphins have an incredibly rich language and social structure...if they had opposable thumbs I think they'd kick out behinds ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I read a book recently that suggested that maybe it is time we became homo sapiens ("wise man") ...

I think intelligence is difficult to define. That is why SETI is such a difficult project - they have to make huge assuptions about the nature of what might be out there. These huge assumptions could well cause us to miss&nbsp;an intelligent species. Unfortunately, the assumptions have to made or we would never get past searching the first planet we have come across - Earth.

Memory and the ability to learn are the two crucial ones. This is helped tremendously by language, art, music and so forth.

Upvote 0

Hewitt

God's little drummer boy
Apr 20, 2002
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟3,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, in my thinking, intelligence is based upon the standards of the society in which it applies. While we may think all dogs are "unintelligent" there are probably some out there who are dog geniuses and we just don't know it. For humans we generally tend to look at the quantity, quality, and ability to retain information when measuring intelligence. I am currently in high school and many consider me "intelligent" just because I can memorize a few things quite easily but in my mind there is more to it than that.

Like mentioned before, I feel that there are many other factors to intelligence than the basic knowledge.

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Originally posted by FordPrefect
Then what is wisdom?
And what makes it superior to intelligence?

The Biblical sense of wisdom lays emphasis on sound judgment, based on knowledge and understanding; the ability to use knowledge and understanding successfully to solve problems, avoid or avert dangers, attain certain goals, or counsel others in doing so. It is the opposite of foolishness, stupidity, and madness, with which it is often contrasted.—De 32:6; Pr 11:29; Ec 6:8.

Firstly I have nothing against intellect. Man has used his intellect to do amazing things for mans wellbeing but, he has also used it to make things like weapons of mass destruction. These are all products of intellegent men or women but not all are wise. The application of true wisdom may have prevented the mistakes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FordPrefect

WWADGD
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟788.00
Faith
Atheist
Sooo, what you are saying is that wisdom is higher intellect guided by societal and moral restraint, to solve problems and bring about a positive change?

But we are not dealing with the question I asked. "Intelligence" does not equal "book smarts", or "wisdom", or "whatever." Intellect does, but intelligence, not IQ, does not.

For instance, dogs can learn tricks, they understand cause and effect, they remember, they have a primitive (as far as we know) language, they can set up small "tribal" social structures, etc. These abilities indicate some level of intelligence, however they do not possess the ability to create art, nor do they build structures, nor do they subjegate smaller species, etc. Does this mean they do not have intelligence? No, it doesn't.

That onion article is great. My favourite line concerning dolphins comes from HHGttG, where it says
< paraphrasing badly >
Humanity thought it was the most intelligent species on the planet because of cities, cars, factories, war, etc. Dolphins always thought they were the most intelligent species on the planet for exactly the same reason.
</paraphrasing badly>

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by LadyShea
Dolphins have been found to have the ability to anticipate (which cannot be instinctual by definition) and have an extremely complex language...how is this not intelligence?

intelligence

Cambridge Dictionary gives as definition
'the ability to understand and learn and make judgments or have opinions that are based on reason'

Sure anticipation is not acting on instinct, what exactly has been shown that dolphins anticipated?

I think animals are intelligent to a certain extend, where our intelligence is unlimited, well if you use your brain that is. :)

Upvote 0