• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is insulin resistance?

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She mentions that the insulin receptors are locked, but she never fully explains what's gumming up the locks.
Because of the glucose in the blood and the constant signaling of insulin the cell just says no more. The cell becomes desensitized to insulin and requires more insulin to force the receptor to open. This hyperinsulinemia results in many diseases.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because of the glucose in the blood and the constant signaling of insulin the cell just says no more. The cell becomes desensitized to insulin and requires more insulin to force the receptor to open. This hyperinsulinemia results in many diseases.
Check out the video I linked, I think you'll find it interesting. It's Intramyocellular lipids that cause the cell receptors to not respond to insulin. It's like gumming up a lock.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Intramyocellular lipids
Thank you for the video. We all know too much-saturated fat is harmful or too much of anything is bad. Poly and Mono fats are beneficial to the body. With the typical American diet, we consume more carbs than we can burn which then turns into fat. I've lived with low fat diet for 40 years and yet we have an epidemic of obesity. Activity plays a big role in burning energy.

"Although human populations have thrived on diets with widely varying macronutrient ratios, the recent influx of rapidly digestible, high GI carbohydrates in developed nations has contributed to the epidemics of obesity and cardiometabolic disease."

In the past, I didn't exercise much but when I stopped eating carbs the fat melted away. My body turned to fat as a fuel source or some would say fat-adapted. I reduced my A1C from 7.9 to 6.2 before long I will not be considered type 2 diabetic. I am still insulin-resistant but working on my sensitivity.

Upvote 0