Visit site
✟1,515,515.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How would it affect your life, everything if you found out there was no heaven and you would never see your loved ones again?
Honestly, I'm not sure it would affect much, at least right now. For me, the primary point of a faithful life isn't being reunited with loved ones in heaven, it's about the reign of God bringing fulness of life in the present.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,745,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks.

No, and honestly I doubt it will happen this side of Christmas. My preparatory paperwork is due in a couple of weeks, but I can't see any panel meeting in December. We'll see!
I can’t see them not giving you a good evaluation with what I have seen here on this board. I for one, think you are pretty marvelous in your interactions here.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,515,515.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Michie, that really means a very great deal.

The biggest issue, I think, is just that fundamentally the job I'm doing is too big for one person, and so I am constantly having to cut corners or decide which thing to neglect today. And no matter how careful and thoughtful and prayerful I try to be in that, someone is always unhappy or thinks you should be doing more or better. I find that very stressful, and I think the parish finds it difficult too. But there are no easy solutions!

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,745,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, Michie, that really means a very great deal.

The biggest issue, I think, is just that fundamentally the job I'm doing is too big for one person, and so I am constantly having to cut corners or decide which thing to neglect today. And no matter how careful and thoughtful and prayerful I try to be in that, someone is always unhappy or thinks you should be doing more or better. I find that very stressful, and I think the parish finds it difficult too. But there are no easy solutions!
Honestly… it sounds like a no win situation. And I hope those in your review realize that. Sometimes I wonder if the Lord does not try to teach us in these situations as far as laity goes. Most really have no idea on what it takes to shepherd a Church.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,515,515.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I wonder if the Lord does not try to teach us in these situations as far as laity goes. Most really have no idea on what it takes to shepherd a Church.
I think - speaking for my tradition, but I suspect it may be true to some degree in yours too - we have in recent decades talked a lot about how everyone has gifts and a part to play, how the mission of the church belongs to all its members, and so on, and on one level we believe it; but on another level, we deep down really believe much of the work of the church belongs to the "experts."

So, for example, I'll have someone who's doing a very good job visiting a housebound person, get upset because I haven't been to visit said housebound person. Why? I'm not bringing anything the lay person isn't; but somehow it's not as good if it's not the priest. Now that's nonsense, but it's really deeply culturally embedded.

That's just one example, but it's a pattern that repeats over a lot of things...

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,745,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think - speaking for my tradition, but I suspect it may be true to some degree in yours too - we have in recent decades talked a lot about how everyone has gifts and a part to play, how the mission of the church belongs to all its members, and so on, and on one level we believe it; but on another level, we deep down really believe much of the work of the church belongs to the "experts."

So, for example, I'll have someone who's doing a very good job visiting a housebound person, get upset because I haven't been to visit said housebound person. Why? I'm not bringing anything the lay person isn't; but somehow it's not as good if it's not the priest. Now that's nonsense, but it's really deeply culturally embedded.

That's just one example, but it's a pattern that repeats over a lot of things...
Oh yeah. It’s that way on the RCC as well. I experienced it when I was going various places to deliver the Eucharist. Most were fine with it and enjoyed it but many wanted to see the priest as well.

• Prayers
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,745,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That I said the wrong thing today. We put up Christmas decorations, and when she sighed from tiredness, I pointed out we didn't have to put them up. She, ah, didn't seem to appreciate that observation.
Women love the decor. It’s the putting it up that’s exhausting. She wants you to appreciate it too! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,745,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My sister just tried to commit suicide. Her husband found her unresponsive but still breathing on the couch with blood coming out of her mouth. Blood was everywhere. She is all tubed up in the hospital now on a breathing machine. Waiting for lab results.

Upvote 0