What is "believe"?

ywl

Oct 4, 2009
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
The only way to accept is to believe in Jesus Christ.
But what is "believe"?
Abraham is said to have the strongest belief in the God.
Is there any difference between beliefs?
Some belief is stronger than others?
Some belief maybe too weak to be called belief and the people hold such belief become unbelievers?
How to know whether one believe in Jesus or not?
Is there a measure?
Can one be transfered from unbeliever to believer continiously or one have to experience an abrupt change to become a believer?
For most cases, even ourselves don't konw whether we believe it or not. We may say we believe. But when some test comes, we doubt about our belief, or maybe we do sinful things.
So what is "believe"?
Is there any passage talking about this in the Bible.

UnionJack

Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
✟16,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Great questions.

In Romans 12: 3-8 God said everyone has been dealt with a different amount of faith in Him. So yes there is difference, some people have stronger faith in God than others.

To know whether you believe in Jesus or not, ask yourself these questions.
Do you believe He died for our sins?
Do you believe He rose 3 days later?
Do you believe Jesus is God?
Do you believe Jesus is our savior?

If you answered yes to all of the above, then rest assured, YOU believe in Jesus.

You MUST experience an abrupt change in your life after becoming a believer. Becoming a Christian doesn't mean you get drunk, swear, have illicit sex, accept Jesus, then get drunk again, and swear and continue having illicit sex. You will see your values changing too as along as cleaning up your acts. Of course no one is perfect and even the most devout followers of Christ will fall from time to time.

And remember, God says that salvation (believing in him) is a gift!

Here are some Bible verses:

John 20:29
Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Hebrews 11:
1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for. 3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. 4By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.
5By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Matthew 21:22

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

James 1: 6,7

But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

Upvote 0

UnionJack

Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
✟16,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My favorite question of yours is about being tested. The Bible says that to be a true Christian, you will be persecuted. You will be mistreated, you will be bullied. Look what happened to Jesus, the ruler of the universe, murdered by his own creation.
Consider this Bible verse:

But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

It might take some time to get used to, but you must train yourself as best as possible to be fearless of all earthly consequences and stand up for what is right.

I will leave you with these final verses:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(Matthew 5:10)

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven.
(Matthew 5:11,12)

All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life.
(Luke 21:17-19)

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and imposters will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
(2 Tim 3:12)

Stay strong.

Upvote 0

ywl

Oct 4, 2009
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
It is interesting that in the old testment "trust" is used more often than "believe" and in the new testment "believe" is used much much more often than "trust". To my understanding, "trust" is a unconditoinal "believe". So "trust" is a stronger "believe". But why in new testment, "believe" is used so often. Did Jesus Christ lowered the requirements in "belief"?

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there are three primary types of belief in the God of Christianity (I'm not counting other belief systems here):

1. Belief that God created the Universe and may still be active on Earth.

2. Belief in the existence of: God as a trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the events of the Bible (including the resurrection), etc.

3. In addition to everything in #2, a belief that a relationship with God is essential, that I should use the word of God as a template for my life, and that Jesus is the only means for my salvation.

Sadly, many people who call themselves Christians or Spiritual fall under category #1 (general belief in an intangible, impersonal God). #2 is closer, but "belief in" isn't good enough for true Christian faith. In fact, the Devil and demons would absolutely qualify for everything listed in #2. They believe in God, and were here to see what Jesus did. What we aspire to is #3... taking belief and turning into a mind-changing way of life.

Reactions: Jeffwhosoever
Upvote 0

ywl

Oct 4, 2009
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
-In Romans 12: 3-8 God said everyone has been dealt with a different amount of faith in Him. So yes there is difference, some people have stronger faith in God than others.

Is this amount of faith fixed when we are born or we can do something to strengthen our faith?

-And remember, God says that salvation (believing in him) is a gift!

Is this gift means something born in nature that cannot be removed from our body or like a present which we can choose to accept or not?

Upvote 0

ywl

Oct 4, 2009
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
I think the reason that in new testment believe appears much more times than trust is because trust can sometime become a unthinking belief. A unthinking trust may cause many problems. Believe requires thinking. One can only believe when he can think. Maybe Jesus want people to think instead of just trust. maybe there should not be trust but the process of searching and thinking is what Jesus Christ want his believer to do. To believe make Christanity a living religion that evolve instead of a religion full of rules and laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If salvation is a gift, what if I am not chosen. How do one knows whether he is chosen or not?

This question has been debated for hundreds of years, so any answer you get here will based on one set of opinions. That said, I will give you mine:

Grace is a gift that God offers to everyone (including you). If you accept this grace, Jesus' death on the cross has already paid the debt for your sins and salvation with God is available to you. Your part is to pursue a closer relationship with God, and to allow the Holy Spirit to prepare you for Salvation. This process of "renewing your mind" will help you to think and act more as God wants us. You won't earn your way to Heaven... you're just getting ready since your ticket is already stamped.

Upvote 0