What is/are the purpose/s of marriage in this century?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Kind of, yes. It used to be about money and keeping family lines going, but that is void now for us average or lower class people. Also, people treat marriage much more lightly now of days, AND with the independance craze, many people feel more free single.

Upvote 0

unkern

National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage has no longer become about love, but of the person who gives the best sex. Children are no longer the livelyhood of their fathers, but the irritation of them.

Because we chose to no longer play the roles we've been given, women as mothers(housemaker) and men as fathers(fighters, workers) everything has fallen apart and socially we've made ourselves to independent for God, or our fellow brother or sister.

Upvote 0
R

RobinRedbreast

Is getting married losing its relevance?

Depends on what you considered "relevant" to marriage in the first place.

For me, marriage has lost no relevance. But life is what you make of it. If you want to find ways in which it -has- lost relevance, I'm sure you'll find it. But why would you bother?

Find the relevance for your own life, and make sure you upkeep it. What anyone else has to say about it is truly irrelevant.

Reactions: Tinkerbell33
Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Marriage has no longer become about love, but of the person who gives the best sex. Children are no longer the livelyhood of their fathers, but the irritation of them.

Because we chose to no longer play the roles we've been given, women as mothers(housemaker) and men as fathers(fighters, workers) everything has fallen apart and socially we've made ourselves to independent for God, or our fellow brother or sister.

If that's all the salt and light of humanity gives it credit for, then that's what it's bound to become...

Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my mind, it's more of a romance thing than anything else anymore. Atleast to me. A symbol of declared love for each other. Because I can easily have the exact same relationship with a significant other without that piece of paper. There's just something romantic about rings and a ceremony.

Upvote 0

StarCannon

Warmaster
Oct 27, 2007
At home.
✟9,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The purpose of marriage is as it's always been: to control humanity.

I think most people should not get married. Ever. The divorce rate speaks for itself. There's nothing wrong with healthy polygamous relationships.

If someone does want to get married, they'd better look long and hard at the person they intend to marry. I suggest no less than 20 page application with many many hard questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Besides the romance issue others have brought up, I think there is a lack of respect for each other. We want independence over the burden of caring for someone. We're fine when everything is feeling good; but the minute we see their bad side, we pout and refuse to care for them because it robs us of our freedom. Harsh, but has its truths.

And yes, and someone else above said...I agree. It's also become about sex.

Upvote 0

r1nn

the unexamined life is not worth living.
Sep 2, 2007
northeast
✟15,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Morning~Glory said:

QFT.

To me it hasn't, either. There are many reasons why people decide to marry. This for thought: the sake of partnership? To not be alone, and to go through all your troubles with someone beside you?

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟55,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Ah, marriage in America. The greatest scam ever invented. What with the 'no fault' divorce rule in California. A person can get with a spouse, cheat on them, divorce them, then run off with half of their things, LEGALLY. You can make your potential spouse sign a prenuptial agreement, but then you are basically telling your future spouse that you don't trust them and the whole relationship is built on a foundation of distrust. You can hope it works out, but divorce rates are high, even amongst professing Christians. (And they get to take half your things)

Maybe I should heed Paul's words that in some instances it is better not to marry.

Upvote 0

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I said I would post my views on this question, so here goes. (Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, had a family emergency last week and wasn't able to get on here.)

What is the point of marriage in today's society? It may seem like it's pointless to get married these days, especially with the ever increasing divorce rate. But, it is possible to have a good marriage despite what statistics state.

I feel that marriage is something special. There is so much more to it than sex, like some people think. My husband makes me feel complete. He is my best friend, and I trust him completely. Since getting married, I am much happier with life. Does that mean everything is perfect for me? Of course not! We have had our problems, but the important thing is learning to work through them and NOT giving up right away. Those problems have helped our relationship grow stronger once we got through them.

My brother and his fiance are a good example to use for this one. They just got engaged a couple of weeks ago. It was a big shock to my entire family, because we never thought he would settle down. Back in January, they lost their little boy. He was only a month old. As much as that hurt for both of them, instead of giving up on their relationship, they worked through the pain together. And it helped make them stronger as a couple. Now they've decided to get married, and I believe that they will stay together because of what they have gone through.

Does this mean that you need to suffer a huge loss to stay with someone? No. But what I am trying to say is, marriage gives you someone who will stay with you NO MATTER WHAT! It doesn't matter how bad things get, the person you married should always stick by your side.

The problem occurs when people think that marriage is just for sex, or that when troubles arise they can run away and hide instead of confronting them. That is why I think the divorce rate is so high.
I'm not saying there aren't any instances where divorce is ok. If it's a case of an abusive relationship, then by all means GET OUT. But if it's a matter of, "I don't like the way your lay when you sleep. You snore too loud." Then it's a little bit ridiculous.

I know this is a little bit long. But I hope that it makes some sense to you. If you want me to elaborate any more on anything just let me know.

Upvote 0

Cloudz

Veteran
May 4, 2006
NJ
✟17,686.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I felt numb to marriage. Single for 3 years as I waited to see if I even wanted to face any of the rat race dating scene again. I think it's interesting to say that when you find another person that is generally what you were looking for the whole view of marriage changes. I once felt exactly like the OP. I believe marriage in the USA is in crisis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

For me, marriage has lost no relevance. But life is what you make of it. If you want to find ways in which it -has- lost relevance, I'm sure you'll find it. But why would you bother?

Find the relevance for your own life, and make sure you upkeep it. What anyone else has to say about it is truly irrelevant.

You just won the thread.

I have my own views on the matter that more or less correlate with what Morning~Glory said. However, I'm too tired and lazy to post it at the moment. D: lol procrastination

Upvote 0

SkyArk17

The Seeker of the 7th Seraph
Sep 22, 2008
My Computer!
✟15,406.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, on a technical standpoint, no, it isn't. But, there are very little true marriages anymore, so it is losing it's influence. The modern synonym definition of marriage is actually thriving, so if your going by that, then no, it's the opposite.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
What is the point of marriage in today's society? It may seem like it's pointless to get married these days, especially with the ever increasing divorce rate. But, it is possible to have a good marriage despite what statistics state.

I feel that marriage is something special. There is so much more to it than sex, like some people think.

The problem occurs when people think that marriage is just for sex, or that when troubles arise they can run away and hide instead of confronting them. That is why I think the divorce rate is so high.
I'm not saying there aren't any instances where divorce is ok. If it's a case of an abusive relationship, then by all means GET OUT. But if it's a matter of, "I don't like the way your lay when you sleep. You snore too loud." Then it's a little bit ridiculous.

From someone who isn't married, so take it with a grain of salt, I agree with all these points especially. Just from an outsider's perspective.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟139,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Relevant in/to... what?

I shall assume that the question means "Is marriage becoming pointless?"

I believe no. Abused, misunderstood and corrupted? Maybe, but certainly not pointless.

Upvote 0