Not open for further replies.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Femininity is gentle and kind, patient and caring.

I dont disagree with this..but how is that not masuclinity as well?IOW unless this isnt a masculine trait how is it specifically a way to describe "femininity' ?

IOW how is this not a "human " trait?Why woudl you put this as a female specific definition ..unless its not also a defination of a male?

And if its also a definition of masculinty..why even bother with gender at all ?

If my son is "gentle adn kind adn caring" is he feminine?

Dallas

Reactions: 2thePoint
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

immadatyou.gif

This thread has undergone a small clean up. I am sure this can be discussed without any snarkiness.

Please keep it civil.

Upvote 0

MrsWright

Jul 31, 2011
✟7,662.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Jane, you previously stated that a woman "is" because she was born that way. She was born into the female gender.
Does that technically make her a woman, yes - but just because she has all the parts, is she automatically living up to the role God gave her?
No.
It's something that must be worked on, and strive for.

Just like there's a difference between "men" and "real men" - the same is true for women.

You're right of course, not ALL women gossip (though it is a trait a lot of us fall into, I know I can be guilty of it.)

God has given us what to desire! He tells us what he wants of HIS women - our behavior, our expectations, how we present ourselves, and that crosses culture, age and marital status.
It's all in the Bible.

I would never say "_____ isn't a real woman", mostly because the plank in my own eye, is much larger than the speck in yours - However, without judging individuals, I do believe there is a difference between those who are born female, and those who are fulfilling their womanhood through God.

I must have misunderstood, I kinda clumped you and Dallas together, I should have addressed these issues on a one at a time response.
Sorry about that.

Peace
- Niffer

I disagree. A woman is a woman because she has XX chromosomes. She is Re:Sarah not Im:Sarah or Sarah=x+iy ;)

God made that bit quite simple. As for her God given role, that varies from woman to woman. We all have gifts that God expects us to use. There is no "womanhood" to fulfill. I've done it all from getting married and raising children but my sister remained single and owns a computer company. We are both real women. Every christian is expected to display the fruits of the spirit which are kindness etc but some probably come more naturally to most women. In any even we shouldn't care about being real women/real men but on following the bible which covers those things anyway. I don't know, I think I am far too old for this topic.

Reactions: 2thePoint
Upvote 0

MrsWright

Jul 31, 2011
✟7,662.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I dont disagree with this..but how is that not masuclinity as well?IOW unless this isnt a masculine trait how is it specifically a way to describe "femininity' ?

IOW how is this not a "human " trait?Why woudl you put this as a female specific definition ..unless its not also a defination of a male?

And if its also a definition of masculinty..why even bother with gender at all ?

If my son is "gentle adn kind adn caring" is he feminine?

Dallas

THIS. Besides we should all strive to be kind.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. A woman is a woman because she has XX chromosomes. She is Re:Sarah not Im:Sarah or Sarah=x+iy ;)

God made that bit quite simple. As for her God given role, that varies from woman to woman. We all have gifts that God expects us to use. There is no "womanhood" to fulfill. I've done it all from getting married and raising children but my sister remained single and owns a computer company. We are both real women. Every christian is expected to display the fruits of the spirit which are kindness etc but some probably come more naturally to most women. In any even we shouldn't care about being real women/real men but on following the bible which covers those things anyway. I don't know, I think I am far too old for this topic.

Sincere question....whats the utility of the OP, if the chromosomes are what the answer is? Im neither agreeing nor disagreeing. But there is a ton of discussion here for such a simple question that basically by chromosomal differentiation being the answer, is kind off a "Duh" question.

I frankly have no idea what it even means "real woman/man" and don't care.

I have issue with the bold, because this is the basis of how men and women ARE differentiated as Christians, subtly. But thats another thread.....

Upvote 0

2thePoint

Looking Up
May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep. The Bible speaks of male and female, not manhood and womanhood. It speaks of character and faith, not roles and appearances. All the greatest qualities for which Christians are to strive are for all of us, not just half. Submission is explicitly mutual, not one-way (and it is disingenuous to say that male submission looks "different" than female submission, or to call lording over a new way of submitting). Male and female is what we are, not roles we play.

We need to look at the heart and stop playing favorites because of the flesh.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This might be a "hit and run" post, because we're leaving this afternoon, and won't be back for two weeks. I'll look for answers then.

Cons brought up a valid point about "real woman" applying to us plus-size ladies, unfairly suggesting that a female with a petite build is not a "real woman." He is right, but I would like to explain the reasoning behind it.

Think about the photoshopped images of models and actresses on billboards and magazine covers. Think about those same women in real life, who all too often resort to eating disorders and cocaine addictions to keep their bodies a certain size, and plastic surgery to keep their faces and bustlines looking in their sixties as they did in their twenties. (In many cases, the plastic surgery put the ample bustline in place to begin with.) So they distort their bodies in real life, and then when photographed, their images are distorted again, digitally, before being made public. Are they "real" women? Or are they Barbie dolls that breathe?

Now think about a woman who has accepted the fact that, without extreme measures, she is going to be the size she is, take it or leave it. She doesn't do anything to alter her looks, other than simple hygiene and personal appearance routines. She keeps herself clean and well groomed, maybe some makeup, but you can still tell it's "her."

Which one is the "real" woman?

I do agree, though, that the lady who is naturally a size 2 is just as real as the lady who is naturally a size 18.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Where are the objections to this statement from all those who so strongly dislike generalizations?

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LoveBirds I could be wrong..But I took Cons comment to mean by 'not petite" ..a woman with large breast..Not an overweight woman..I could be wrong but I have heard that phrase..and its been referenced to her breast not her overall size.IOW she could even be a size 2..but well endowed on the top..Naturally or otherwise and the "large" breast is what is being referred to that make her a 'real woman"..

Dallas

Upvote 0

MrsWright

Jul 31, 2011
✟7,662.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Where are the objections to this statement from all those who so strongly dislike generalizations?

Thank you very much for misinterpreting my post Mr Conservation. Another poster said it was feminine to be kind/gentle etc and I said these things are fruits of the spirit and should not be ascribed to one gender. However since they are seen as feminine "maybe"/probably it is because they come more naturally to women? Was I wrong that they are fruits of the spirit? If your objection comes from the second half of my statement then were the other posters not highlighted?

Upvote 0

MrsWright

Jul 31, 2011
✟7,662.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Sincere question....whats the utility of the OP, if the chromosomes are what the answer is? Im neither agreeing nor disagreeing. But there is a ton of discussion here for such a simple question that basically by chromosomal differentiation being the answer, is kind off a "Duh" question.

I frankly have no idea what it even means "real woman/man" and don't care.

I have issue with the bold, because this is the basis of how men and women ARE differentiated as Christians, subtly. But thats another thread.....

I think you are reading too much into this. Women might display different characteristics due to genetics, society or upbringing. If it is expected in society for women to be kind then it is probably that more women will display kindness as a characteristic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you very much for misinterpreting my post Mr Conservation. Another poster said it was feminine to be kind/gentle etc and I said these things are fruits of the spirit and should not be ascribed to one gender. However since they are seen as feminine "maybe"/probably it is because they come more naturally to women? Was I wrong that they are fruits of the spirit? If your objection comes from the second half of my statement then were the other posters not highlighted?

I'm not Cons.

And my point stands regardless of wether or not he got the meaning of your post correct. We've got several posters who make a major point of objecting to almost all generalizations who I'm quite sure will not have one bit of problem with this one.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are reading too much into this. Women might display different characteristics due to genetics, society or upbringing. If it is expected in society for women to be kind then it is probably that more women will display kindness as a characteristic.

I agree...I think its no more natural...but someone ..in society expects that more so out of women..then tells her its more natural therefore she is a freak of nature..punished or seen as "worse" than a man is she doesnt fall in line with the FALSE beleif its by nature of her gender these things are automatic for her..easier..and instinctual.

So yes its possible more women will seem to display those characterisitcs..becasue she has been trained to not act any other way..its not lady like..Just like its "like a girl' if a guy cries..and he is expected to be "tough" on the outside..and to deny he is just as afraid of the same things a female can be afraid of..and really wants to cry just as much a "girl"..but has been trained thats not "how boys are"..That makes him "feminine" and a "weak male"..Not a human being ..by NATURE..

Dallas

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LoveBirds I could be wrong..But I took Cons comment to mean by 'not petite" ..a woman with large breast..Not an overweight woman..I could be wrong but I have heard that phrase..and its been referenced to her breast not her overall size.IOW she could even be a size 2..but well endowed on the top..Naturally or otherwise and the "large" breast is what is being referred to that make her a 'real woman"..

Dallas

Actually I was talking Lane Bryant type way....

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually I was talking Lane Bryant type way....

Oh O.K..well I have heard the phrase ..referring specifically ..to breast size..Kind of like with a guy ..a reference to well.."not petite" in one area..a very narrowed down specific area..on the bottom half..in the front..below the waste but above the knee..:D

I have heard some women mostly however..profess they are "all woman" in reference to her plus size.and I have heard men say ..I like a woman with 'meat on her bones"..But not specifically a man referencing an overwieght woman as a "real woman"..I guess its 6 on one hand half a dozen on the other..Some men prefer big women.My oldest son is one of them..Hes had two serious girlfriends..and both of them have been xtra large.:DBut then again ...so is he at 6'2 and 275/300 lbs..I guess hes a "real man'..with a "real woman"..Too bad at 28 he is on high blood pressure meds..prescription omega 3 .. and diaretics to stave off conjestive heart failure..is that nautral too? ..Sure it is..thats naturally whats ocurring due to his poor eating habits and obesity all his life..His grifriend has "naturally" developed a condition called PCOS which is directly related to obesity and has her entire hormonal situation about as messed up as it can get..as well as her fertility is permentally affected..and I dont think her emergency gall bladder removal was a coincidence either.she is 26..

Dallas

Upvote 0

MrsWright

Jul 31, 2011
✟7,662.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm not Cons.

And my point stands regardless of wether or not he got the meaning of your post correct. We've got several posters who make a major point of objecting to almost all generalizations who I'm quite sure will not have one bit of problem with this one.

I'm sorry. I replied incorrectly. However using the words "probably" and "most" doesn't make the strongest generalization imo. How could I say really? I have not any evident proof of these things, I only went of what some posters were saying and assumed they were probably right. That leaves plenty of room for me to be wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.