Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am Mennonite Brethren, although I was not born into it. I am English and most of the Mennonites where I live (heavily populated with MB) are Dutch/German. The MB are passive, peaceful, and Evangelical (Google the Evangelical Manifesto), and many are still agrarian, in a contemporary way.

If you read the Evangelical Manifesto, you will understand MB (one sect of Mennonites) beliefs. You will also find a lot of information here

Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches - About Us

On the left side you will see mission, vision and values as well as a link to the confession of faith under "we believe".

How we live in our community is very family oriented, and we are committed to living clean lives, at peace with our neighbours and in a close-knit community. Although we are relatively conservative in our beliefs, we are liberal about how we live them out - meaning we do not push faith on anyone, although we are mission minded. This means we bring people more to the Lord Jesus by living what we say we believe than by preaching hellfire and damnation. We have a firm but compassionate response to sin in the church.

Actually, I think this link will help you better understand how we live than what I can say:
Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches - Faith & Life Pamphlet Series

I hope that helps.

I have to say, after years of trying numerous other denominations and non-denom churches, I have found the MB to be the best fit. I have been MB for ten years.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MB are good folk. I did my dissertation on Dutch Mennonite and English Baptist connections in the 17th century. The Mennonites were spiritual descendants of Meno Simons. They believed in separation of church and state and were pacifists.

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
drstevej said:
Just so long as the tool part of your name is not powered by a gasoline engine ;)

Actually they are very advanced these days. Generators, computers, cell phones, and the modern Mennonites are very normal with regards to any other religion. Only the women will cover their heads possibly.

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
drstevej said:
I know. Its the old School Amish that avoid zippers and engines. But they are awesome farmers. The Lancaster PA Farmers Market it awesome.

C'mon I heard the young boys have subs in their buggies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi there. I live in Ukraine and very interested in Mennonites. Would you like to be in touch and answer some questions?

The forums are a good place to ask questions, so you get a variety of answers. I'm sure we will all be glad to answer the best we can. It would seem to me that there are also Mennonites in Ukraine you would be able to talk to. I don't live there, but my understanding is that the Mennonite population there has been increasing in the last 20 or so years.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is called "mennonite" is no single entity; the spectrum is very wide from plain "horse and buggy" mennonites (not to be confused with Amish) to UCC-style liberal mennonites found in the mainstream Mennonite Church USA (MCUSA)...the best representation is probably closest found amongst the Conservative Mennonites, mostly still dressing "plain" though using some modern technology.

I live in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country~drive into Lancaster County everyday for work, was Mennonite for some years though not born into it. Check the "sticky" threads above; there is one that has some different Statements of Faith from assorted Menno groups.

Upvote 0
Although not mennonite. I do however share many of the same viewpoints. As noted above there is a very big difference between the liberal end of the mennonite denomination and the conservative end. My viewpoints fall somewhere in a balanced middle.
The mennonite church was founded by menno simons. Hence the name mennonite. Many people look at the practices of the mennonites and assume they are different than mainstream christianity. When in reality they are not. They believe the Bible to be the word of God. Inspired by God. They believe in the trinity of the Godhead. Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. They believe in the virgin birth, death on the cross and resurrection of Christ. they believe in believers baptism. The new birth experience..dead unto sin alive unto christ. Where the mennonites differ at least the more conservative. Is in the fact that they agree as a church..What "they" believe to be modest dress..what "they" feel is an acceptable lifestyle. this includes dresses and uncut hair for women and a covering as outlined in cor 13...They believe in non-resistance and the golden rule...

although i would question many of the practices of the very, very conservative mennonites as being more traditional and works based. I do however feel that the balance of the middle of the road so to speak mennonites. Are very, very scriptural..Along with and especially the more conservative Church of the brethren. And Dunkard brethren.That hold no other creed or doctrine other than the new testament of the bible. And that still actually practice modesty, headship order ect..

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was converted to Christ in a Mennonite church. I spent my first two and a half years as a christian in the Mennonite church. I had a good experience in the Mennonite church.

The Mennonite Church that I was a part of believed in separation from the world and a strong sense of Christian community. They taught that a person needs to be born again to be saved.

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2008
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Menno Simons wa originally trained catholic.He had issues over certain practices and duurng the reformation period,he left the catholic faith.A mennonite is basically one who believes that a person must come to understand God first.When he/she does,they are baptised.(annabaptist)Menno had problems with infant baptisms.He did not feel it gave eternal salvation to a person(it doesnt).The mennonites were hunted down by both catholic and pretestants alike.Many thousands were drowned for thier "heresies" of baptismal beliefs(which are consistent with the bible).They would not kill in self defence,and became martyrs in a way,for thier beliefs.Originally they were from the Netherlands?, but wete driven all across europe in an attempt to be free from being killed.They then sought refuge in north america.The hutterites were similar.The amish were a split from the mennonites feelin that the mennonites were too lenient on the shunning.The amish treat the shunned as enemies(but the bible says to still treat them as brothers)Very short version,hope it helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums