What is a Fundamentalist Baptist baptism like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. I attend an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist church. I have never been baptised before and I am considering getting baptized at this church sometime soon. However, I'd like to know how a baptism is done in a church like this first. I really only know one thing about baptisms done at this church and that is that they are done by immersion only. That is what I prefer anyway. So, can anyone give me the specifics as to how the baptism is done? I also know it'd be an indoor baptism because they do have a baptismal tub. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated! :)

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the Baptist churches I've attended have baptized in the name of the father, son, and holy spirit as well. I think immersion and father, son, holy spirit are the only requirements I've seen. The pastor will probably have something else he will say to go along with it, but I think that's up to the pastor.

Upvote 0
W

wheredaluv

You will be standing waist-deep in water. In most churches you will be wearing a white robe (don't worry, you can wear your underwear or a swim suit underneath) The pastor will tell the audience who you are and either he or you tell who you came to this point in your life. You will then be asked if you know Jesus as your personal savior or something along those lines. After responding "Yes", you will be positioned to be dunked.

In most cases, one side of you will be toward the audience and the other side will be toward the pastor. You will then hold your nose with one hand and either your wrist or the pastor's wrist with the other. The pastor will then say something like this:
"(your name), because of your obedience to the command of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and upon your profession of faith in Him, I baptize you, my sister, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Buried with Christ in death (this is when you will tipped backward into the water being completely immersed), raised with Christ in resurrection (after being raised from the water). And there you will be, standing there all wet.

God bless you as you follow His command to be baptized!

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At my church which is Independent Fundamental Baptist church and the way we do it is, My preacher will talk to you about baptisem and tell you what it means and why it is important to be baptised, he will show you in the word why we are suppose to be baptised, then when the time comes and depending on how many are being baptised, My preacher will be in the water and call the name of the 1st person, he/she will go down into the water And he will say some verses out of the bible but the main thing I remember is he will say "I Baptised thee my brother/sister in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit Bured in the lightness of the dark". He will then deep you down into the water and then while raising you back up he'll say "Raised in the darkness of the light." And your done.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm, ok. Thanks for the explanations everyone. It looks like the method varies a little from church to church even among Fundamentalist Baptists. I think I'll wait and watch a baptism first before I decide to get baptised. :)

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if you'd consider our church "fundamentalist" or not. At our church the "baptizee" gives their salvation testimony while standing in the water. then an ordained pastor does the dunking.

I'm sure you could ask the pastor or whoever what the procedure is and hopefully he'll be glad to tell you all the details:)

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
What wheredaluv described is more or less the way we do it. The formula is pretty much the same wherever you go. The variations are usually minor.

If you're a female, which I'm guessing you are, please do not wear a white shirt. You don't really think of things like that when you're being baptized but I can't tell you how many girls who we've had to stop so as not to embarrass them.

In our church, you don't have to be ordained, although the men who administer the baptism usually are. I am the leader of an outreach ministry that acts as a "church away from church" for sailors, fishermen, watermen and others along the Upper Chesapeake Bay. I'm not ordained but I would be the one to do the baptism there.

Here is roughly how it would go (although there is no set formula so it may vary)

1) After completing a new believer's class and a couple of informal counseling sessions, you would come to the marina where we hold our services in something you wouldn't mind getting wet.

2) We talk for a few minutes. I ask if there's any special hymn you would like to be sung. I then go into the baptistry (in our case, the boat ramp) and do my thing while you wait nervously.

3) I call you down and ask if you would like to give your testimony...you do...I say a few words...we sing the hymn you picked out...

4) I ask if you have accepted Christ as your saviour. You say yes. I tell you to cross your arms.Then, I grab your wrist and put one hand behind your back. I tell you that it's OK to hold your nose if you want to (for some reason, some people are really nervous and are afraid that holding your nose is somehow disrespectful to God...I have no idea why this is).

5) I say something to the effect of (and this may vary), "'Holly3278' I baptise you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit"...I dunk you

6) While you are under, I say "We have been crucified with Christ..." (don't be afraid, this only takes about two seconds), You come up and I say "...and raised to new life in Him".

The whole thing takes about thirty seconds.

We then end the service and go eat fried chicken.

My own baptism was pretty hectic. It was at Rancocas Valley Baptist Church in Willingboro, NJ and I don't remember why, but it was a last minute affair.

It was crazy but it was also one of the most wonderful and memorable events in my life. I hope yours is just as special.

Upvote 0
We have a Baptism class that meets once a month for people going through Baptism. It is explained to them Biblically about Baptism and what happens they are also shown the Baptistery and what happens. Baptism service follows the next week.

We have special blue suits for the members to wear (non-see through and won't ride up). My church also has changing rooms/ hair dryers for members to use so a member doesn't have to go back to the service dripping wet.

Members usually give their salvation testimony and how they are following Christ through Baptism. It is always a sweet time.
We also encourage the ones being Baptized to invite family and friends especially if they are not Christians to use it as a witnessing tool.

After giving their testimonies the person crosses their arms and one of the pastor staff will place a handkerchief over the person's nose to keep out water (hold your breath) pastor baptizing will say ...I baptized you my brother/sister (name) in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost buried in the likeness of his death and raised in likeness of his resurrection. (Church people rejoices) We have praise and hymn songs and then the Pastor preaches.

A10107C-md.jpg

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm, the thing that would make me nervous would be giving the testimony because my testimony is most definitely not a good one. I have backslidden many times since I became a Christian around 9-10 years ago. :sigh: Also, what type of clothes are the best to wear for a baptism? I don't know if our church has a changing room or not but I'm sure I'd have a chance to change into dry clothes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
W

wheredaluv

If your church has robes, wear one. If they're white and see-thru, wear a swim suit or other clothes under it. If no robes, a T-shirt may work or anything you don,t mind getting wet. However it would be best to talk with your pastor to see what he recommends.
My chuirch doesn't have changing rooms. Most people change in a restroom stall or as I did, a Sunday School room. And yes you will have time to change into dry clothes. My church has hair dryers but yours may not, check with pastor.
I know I mentioned giving a testimony in my above post, but my church doesn't do that however most churches do. Check with your pastor he might read it for you or might not have to do it at all. I would recommend it but it's not necessarry.

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always heard:

"(your name), because of your obedience to the command of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and upon your profession of faith in Him, I baptize you my sister in the Name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit--raised again to walk in the newness of life."

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
theseed said:
Also know that it will be in public (in front of the congregation).

Oh yes, I already know this. Thanks for informing me anyway though theseed. What worries me is giving my testimony before the baptism. I don't have a very good testimony to give and I feel it would only embarass me.

Upvote 0

kyzar

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think anyone would force you give your testimony... But imagine if you do, you'll have the prayer support of everyone at the church, asking God to be with you in your Christian walk!!! What a blessing... Everyone isn't a good little christian all the time, you should never be embarrased because you've sinned, be sorry, be forgiven, and let everyone know you're trying (with God's help) not to do it again... Simple...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Holly3278 said:
Hmmm, the thing that would make me nervous would be giving the testimony because my testimony is most definitely not a good one. I have backslidden many times since I became a Christian around 9-10 years ago. :sigh: Also, what type of clothes are the best to wear for a baptism? I don't know if our church has a changing room or not but I'm sure I'd have a chance to change into dry clothes.
You don't have to give your testimony that is an option left up to each member at my church. You don't have to have a long drawn out one either and for the part that you were not living for Christ you can say just that ...there has been some times that you failed him but now with all your heart you do want to serve him. :angel:

I know of several women who have worn bathsuits under the baptism outfits we have and also of other who have worn them under dark colored t-shirts and shorts/pants. Ask your pastor or pastor's wife what is acceptable at your church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.