What happened to "everybody attack him! He may shoot me but he can't get us all"

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Carson recounts time he was held-up at gun point

GOP presidential candidate Ben Carson recounted Wednesday a story about being held at gunpoint, amid backlash over comments he made about the Oregon community college shooting in which he suggested victims of the shooting could have done more to fight back.

"I have had a gun held on me when I was in a Popeye's organization" in Baltimore, the retired neurosurgeon told Karen Hunter on Sirius XM Radio, referring to the fried chicken fast-food chain.

"Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs. And I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter,'" Carson.
Really? "Don't shoot me, shoot that guy over there?"

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Nobody really knows what they would do until they are in that position.

For me, I am more interested in what people say they may do in a particular situation to reveal their character, regardless if that is what they actually do in a real situation.

In the case of Carson, he would like to think he would rush the shooter, but has already revealed in a similar situation he did nothing except tell the shooter to go shoot somebody else. Oh well, we all can't be Rambo, nor should we expect to be....

Politicians eventually learn that they should not try to answer every question presented, and offer insight only when asked. The only thing Carson did wrong here is offer too much information.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

GOP presidential candidate Ben Carson recounted Wednesday a story about being held at gunpoint, amid backlash over comments he made about the Oregon community college shooting in which he suggested victims of the shooting could have done more to fight back.

"I have had a gun held on me when I was in a Popeye's organization" in Baltimore, the retired neurosurgeon told Karen Hunter on Sirius XM Radio, referring to the fried chicken fast-food chain.

"Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs. And I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter,'" Carson.

LOL!

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For me, I am more interested in what people say they may do in a particular situation to reveal their character, regardless if that is what they actually do in a real situation.

In the case of Carson, he would like to think he would rush the shooter, but has already revealed in a similar situation he did nothing except tell the shooter to go shoot somebody else. Oh well, we all can't be Rambo, nor should we expect to be....

Politicians eventually learn that they should not try to answer every question presented, and offer insight only when asked. The only thing Carson did wrong here is offer too much information.

Agree.

He has a tendency to give too much information, for his own good.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Circumstances vary.

One time when I had a gun held to my backbone I simply complied with the mugger's requests. Another time, when I was threatened by someone with a broken bottleneck I never even acknowledged the threat and just kept right on going. Snap judgements are often more the result of instinct than logic. That helps explain why recent reports of people willing to attack the attackers are often active military members.

Reactions: sahjimira
Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

I choose the World. I choose the Flesh.
Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't mind his actions during the robbery. He was probably frozen with fright and thought the guy was going to rob the store itself anyway. As has been said already, we don't know what we would do in that situation.

What I do mind is the bullcrap tough talk when one is not in danger.

Last edited:
Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not defending Carson's statements on the matter...however the circumstances are vastly different.

There's a difference between a petty thug who just wants money (and probably doesn't want to kill anyone if they don't have to), and a maniac who's going in for a high body count.

If a mugger is in a restaurant, suggesting/allowing him to take the money from the register will likely appease him and prevent a bullet storm. In a mass shooter situation, it's unlikely that the "don't shoot, just take the $300 dollars out of the register" approach will do anything to prevent bullets from flying.

That's really a no win situation for Carson...he should've never even discussed it because no matter how he would've acted in that situation, it would result in backlash from the far left.

He doesn't shoot the guy, it's: "Gee, what happened to all that 'hero' talk we heard before...you just sat there and did nothing"
He does shoot the guy, it's: "What a heartless person!, is $300 really worth taking a life over?"

The motives of the shooter really define the kind of action that can be taken to prevent loss of life.

Petty thugs don't want a shootout, they just want to show off their gun as a display of force and a scare tactic, that's why they act like this when they are confronted:

...pretty clear from the video that these thugs didn't want a shooting situation happening (as made evident by them tripping over each other to get out the door). A mass shooter wouldn't have been kicking in a door making financial demands, they'd just come in shooting.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

I choose the World. I choose the Flesh.
Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not defending Carson's statements on the matter...however the circumstances are vastly different.

There's a difference between a petty thug who just wants money (and probably doesn't want to kill anyone if they don't have to), and a maniac who's going in for a high body count.

If a mugger is in a restaurant, suggesting/allowing him to take the money from the register will likely appease him and prevent a bullet storm. In a mass shooter situation, it's unlikely that the "don't shoot, just take the $300 dollars out of the register" approach will do anything to prevent bullets from flying.

That's really a no win situation for Carson...he should've never even discussed it because no matter how he would've acted in that situation, it would result in backlash from the far left.

He doesn't shoot the guy, it's: "Gee, what happened to all that 'hero' talk we heard before...you just sat there and did nothing"
He does shoot the guy, it's: "What a heartless person!, is $300 really worth taking a life over?"

The motives of the shooter really define the kind of action that can be taken to prevent loss of life.

Petty thugs don't want a shootout, they just want to show off their gun as a display of force and a scare tactic, that's why they act like this when they are confronted:

...pretty clear from the video that these thugs didn't want a shooting situation happening (as made evident by them tripping over each other to get out the door). A mass shooter wouldn't have been kicking in a door making financial demands, they'd just come in shooting.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. Again, my issue with Carson is NOT what he said to the robber. My issue is talking tough, when your life isn't the one on the line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My issue is talking tough, when your life isn't the one on the line.

My issue with the tough talk comments is that spontaneously trying to organize a group of scared surprised people into an effective defense isn't likely to yield very good results.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think the question nobody is asking is, where was Popeye in all this? I feel like he could've handled the situation.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying I agree with him, because everyone will react differently.

I heard him compare some reactions to the group of gentlemen in France that rushed the terrorist on the train, or on 911 the group that rushed the terrorists on the plane that crashed in PA.

You may take out us, but you can't take all of us out. If we are going to die we will die trying to save others from you.

Reactions: sahjimira
Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
With rushing the gunman I think we don't because who wants to b the first or any for that matter to did. I'd like to think I would rush him but I may b the only one in the crowd who did. In that case what did I die for. I do agree a group over powering him is a good say to handle it but again nobody wants to b the one to die, taking the option be might just take the money and run not hurting anyone..it's a gamble

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Dr.Carson has a point save for one consideration. Amid that crowd of people who outnumber a gunman the overriding question becomes, in answer to, why don't we all rush him he can't get us all, is; who wants to take the first bullet?

True, no one knows what they'll do until they're faced with what causes the hypothetical question to be then be truly answered.
Some people freeze, some people blank the whole event out after the fight or flight reflex activates. Some people do go for the gunman. And they die. Or the gunman does.
Pray none of us here ever have to find out for ourselves.

Upvote 0