What exactly does it mean to "obey" Jesus?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm betting no one in here will claim "I'm exactly like Jesus" yet that is our goal, to strive to be the kind of perfect he was:is...

And I'm gonna use a Star Trek vernacular here, Data is asked by his daughter why Data struggles to more human if his goal is unattainable or impossible...

Data's daughter says to him "Then why do you still try to emulate humans (in our case, Christ)?" Data replies, "I have asked myself that many times, as I have struggled to become more human (or in our case, "Christlike")." "Until I realized, it is the struggle itself that is most important. We must strive to be more than we are, Lal." "It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal..." "The effort yields it's own rewards."

So the effort, the trying, the doing, or rather trying to do, yields it's own rewards, like pieces of God's good treasure, like Love, hope, faith, peace, ect, so on and so forth... Right?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm betting no one in here will claim "I'm exactly like Jesus" yet that is our goal, to strive to be the kind of perfect he was:is...

Even Jesus said, "be ye perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" (but not be ye perfect as "I am" perfect). I definately wouldnt advocate bearing witness of yourself even if you were perfect, but neither would I think you would be so inclined to do so if you were perfect. For example, Job was declared perfect by Gods own mouth but Job himself said to say (of yourself) that you are perfect would actually prove you perverse. It also seems to be a pattern in scripture when considering how these things are spoken of when you study it out. Paul speaks of them that be perfect also.

But here...

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Whereas Job said,

Job 9:20 If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, *I am* perfect, it shall also *prove me* perverse.

Then again in

Prov 27:2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

But consider what James says as it applies to the perfect man

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

An exception would be when Jesus offended the Pharisees when he said

Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

James speaks in accord

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

And James didnt call himself perfect either, James carefully points out what a perfect man is (and what else he is able also to do). Its really kind of awesome to catch this, just as God calls Job perfect, but Job knows to say that "of himself" would prove him perverse, and likewise Jesus says to be perfect (but not as he is perfect but rather as His heavenly Father is) honouring the Father. James informs us of what the perfect man is (and he leaves room for many things we offend all but if not in word he is a perfect man. Ironically Jesus offended the pharisees in what he said but that would because it was an issue of what went into the mouth verses what came out of the mouth (which is no surprise). Then Paul speaks of the perfect, but goes onto say how he does not count himself. Paul says, "Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Then in verse 15 after saying all of that he says this, Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. And its God who makes our way perfect.

If anyone walked in the room "declaring themselves" to be perfect it would be frowned upon (naturally) even as Job had said, "if I say I am perfect it would prove me perverse", and I think most of us would feel it is rather perverse for someone to go on about their own perfection to others (I mean, how weird is that?) and how contradictory to such perfection is doing something like that anyway? And posting all of that doesnt mean that I consider myself perfect (far from it) but its written and I think its pretty cool it is. Gives you something to aim for which is Jesus Christ and to grow up into the perfect man (God's will for us). And I love what is impossible for me (alone) because with God all things are possible our fruit unto perfection comes through Christ. Something I can believe and strive for (even if it is not a present manifested truth for me now).

But the scriptures are given that the man of God be perfect, and God has given the body of Christ pastors, teachers apostles etc for the perfecting of the body and we are to grow up into Him (the perfect man).

Perfection is impossible without God in Christ because its not like a branch can bear fruit of itself, but bearing much fruit glorifies God.

But if someone was walking as Jesus walked we are just given to reccognize that they are in Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering, in your opinion, what exactly does it mean to "obey" Jesus?,

Keep in mind that it can't mean that we be "perfect", cause were not capable of that. So, keeping that in mind, what exactly does it mean to "obey" Jesus?

God Bless!

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Obedience to Jesus means obedience to the truth and the way, with the effect being life.

Obedience to the truth is a spiritual exercise. For example, the old man is dead if Christ lives in you, but if you still believe the flesh and obey it's lusts, you won't put on the new man.

Obedience to the way is the doctrine of christ. For example unless you are baptized, you can't wash away your sins.

Like Jesus said, we will obey him if we love him. And if we obey we will come unto a perfect man in Christ.

Upvote 0

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, obeying Jesus is trying to understand Him and to live according to that. He did speak in riddles, after all. He wasn't always straightforward in his teachings as in "roses are red and sky is blue" because He wanted to make us to actually think and realize what He said.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

And I'm gonna use a Star Trek vernacular here, Data is asked by his daughter why Data struggles to more human if his goal is unattainable or impossible...

Data's daughter says to him "Then why do you still try to emulate humans (in our case, Christ)?" Data replies, "I have asked myself that many times, as I have struggled to become more human (or in our case, "Christlike")." "Until I realized, it is the struggle itself that is most important. We must strive to be more than we are, Lal." "It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal..." "The effort yields it's own rewards."

So the effort, the trying, the doing, or rather trying to do, yields it's own rewards, like pieces of God's good treasure, like Love, hope, faith, peace, ect, so on and so forth... Right?

God Bless!

NO!

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my humble opinion: Obeying Jesus is:

"Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments".

Matthew 22:37-40
NIV

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said take up your cross and follow him, and learn of him.

Jesus said, a new commandment I give you that ye love one another as I have loved you.

These are all instructions and teachings for us to gain Christ by faith.

Obedience to Jesus means obedience to the faith in order receive the promise in him. If we live by the faith of Christ, we will obey the gospel, obey the truth, obey his word....we'll eat his flesh and drink his blood, doing all which he taught us to do, in order to receive and grow in him.

We obey Jesus to be conformed to his image, and obtain an entrance into his kingdom when he returns.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grace is given the apostles for the obedience of the faith :thumbsup:

Talks about our obedience being fulfilled also (just as it speaks of our being "sometimes disobedient").

Peter said, For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Whereas in Thes, it says, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ

Peter says to to be obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ron4shua

" ... each in our own order " , Hallelu-YAH .
Aug 3, 2014
Sacramento valley
Visit site
✟12,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Saints , 30 very good Scriptural submissions , in my humble opinion , loaded with YAHweh's revealed truth . I'd want to thank Neogaia777 for stating this venerating thread , so thank you Brother , Neogaia777 . Our Sisters post #30 is sincere as are her others . All are great contributions , for me it's somewhat more straightforward & effortless .

For me it's <A-2,Verb,604,apokatallasso> "to reconcile completely" ; Eph 2:13 But now in Messiah &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of the Messiah.
Eph 2:14 For He is our peace, who has made both one, and having broken down the partition of the barrier,
Eph 2:15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity – the Torah of the commands in dogma – so as to create in Himself one renewed man from the two, thus making peace,
Eph 2:16 and to completely restore to favour both of them unto Elohim in one body through the stake, having destroyed the enmity by it.
Eph 2:17 And having come, He brought as Good News peace to you who were far off, and peace to those near.
Eph 2:18 Because through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

How does one accomplish " complete reconciliation " ? Mat 3:1 And in those days Yoh&#803;anan the Immerser came proclaiming in the wilderness of Yehud&#817;ah,
Mat 3:2 and saying, “Repent, for the reign of the heavens has come near!”
Mat 3:3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Yeshayahu, saying, “A voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way of &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1492;, make His paths straight.’ ”1 Footnote:1Isa. 40:3.

An example for us by our advocate & Master . Mat 3:13 Then &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; came from Galil to Yoh&#803;anan at the Yard&#277;n to be immersed by him.
Mat 3:14 But Yoh&#803;anan was hindering Him, saying, “I need to be immersed by You, and You come to me?”
Mat 3:15 But &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; answering, said to him, “Permit it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fill all righteousness.” Then he permitted Him.
Mat 3:16 And having been immersed, &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; went up immediately from the water, and see, the heavens were opened, and He saw the Spirit of Elohim descending like a dove and coming upon Him,
Mat 3:17 and see, a voice out of the heavens, saying, “This is My Son, the Beloved, in whom I did delight.”

Mat 4:12 And &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506;, having heard that Yoh&#803;anan had been put in prison, withdrew into Galil.
Mat 4:17 From that time &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; began to proclaim and to say, “Repent, for the reign of the heavens has drawn near.”

Mar 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the Good News to every creature.
Mar 16:16 “He who has believed and has been immersed, shall be saved, but he who has not believed shall be condemned.

The promise . ; Joh 14:16 “And I shall ask the Father, and He shall give you another Helper, to stay with you forever –
Joh 14:17 the Spirit of the Truth, whom the world is unable to receive, because it does not see Him or know Him. But you know Him, for He stays with you and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 “I shall not leave you orphans – I am coming to you.
Joh 16:10 concerning righteousness because I go to My Father and you see Me no more,
Joh 16:11 concerning judgment because the ruler of this world1 is judged. Footnote: 1See Lk. 4:6.
Joh 16:12 “I still have many words to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now.
Joh 16:13 “But when He comes, the Spirit of the Truth, He shall guide you into all the truth. For He shall not speak from Himself, but whatever He hears He shall speak, and He shall announce to you what is to come.

" the Spirit of the Truth, He shall guide you into all the truth. "

Mat 11:25 At that time &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; responding, said, “I thank You, Father, Master of the heavens and earth, because You have hidden these matters from clever and learned ones and have revealed them to babes.1 Footnote: 1Lk. 10:21.
Mat 11:26 “Yea, Father, because so it was well-pleasing in Your sight.
Mat 11:27 “All have been handed over to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and he to whom the Son wishes to reveal Him.
Mat 11:28 “Come to Me, all you who labour and are burdened, and I shall give you rest.
Mat 11:29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am meek and humble in heart, and you shall find rest for your beings.1 Footnote: 1Jer. 6:16.

Act 2:37 And having heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to K&#277;pha and the rest of the emissaries, “Men, brothers, what shall we do?”
Act 2:38 And K&#277;pha said to them, “Repent, and let each one of you be immersed in the Name of &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1513;&#1506; Messiah for the forgiveness of sins.1 And you shall receive the gift of the Set-apart Spirit. Footnote: 1See 2:40, 3:19, 3:26.

When you experience " faith " in The NAME of JESUS , by the free gift you are no longer an ORPHAN . ALSO HE lives , not you , righteousness is not your job . The guarantee is the "Spirit of the Truth" is in you , a disobedient person can rebel this Holy guidance .

Then another promise , the penalty for not adhering "the Spirit of the Truth ."
Heb 6:1 Therefore, having left the word of the beginning of the Messiah, let us go on to perfection,1 not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of belief toward Elohim, Footnote: 1Mt. 5:48.
Heb 6:2 of the teaching of immersions, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of everlasting judgment.
Heb 6:3 And this we shall do, if Elohim indeed permits.
Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Set-apart Spirit,
Heb 6:5 and have tasted the good Word of Elohim and the powers of the age to come,
Heb 6:6 and fall away, to renew them again to repentance – having impaled for themselves the Son of Elohim again, and put Him to open shame.1 Footnote: 1Heb. 10:26-31.

So then , your job is to listen & obey , refusing disobedience ' the voice of your flesh ' for

1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the Dwelling Place of the Set-apart Spirit who is in you, which you have from Elohim, and you are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For you were bought with a price, therefore esteem Elohim in your body and in your spirit,1 which are of Elohim. Footnote: 1See 7:23, 1 Peter 1:18-19.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Neogaia777. I Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Who is my neighbour? All I know and all I meet, friends and not friends. In verse 40:
Jesus points out this great truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." That is straightforward and easy to remember.
The Bible also tells us: " Repent and be Born Again." Start changing from being selfish and unloving, to become Loving and Caring. (treat all others as you would love to be treated) kindly and always with friendly words. Love is very catching, and after a while you find that you are changing, become less selfish and more loving. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us: " ask and you shall receive," ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and Joy with your neighbours. Life will become more and more enjoyable, and you will find the Holy Spirit help and guide you, and Jesus our Saviour will lead you all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. It is all straightforward: ask and you will be given, then thank God and share all Love and Joy all around you.
You might stumble and forget at times, but then ask God to forgive you and
carry on Loving and Caring.
Love is a Christian`s strong weapon, with love you will overcome all anger and
wrong behaviour. God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters.
What does Jesus mean to obey? To follow His loving advice and change into
Loving and Caring men and women: it is what this imperfect world needs,
and Jesus is our Friend and Teacher. I say this with love, Neogaia.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering, in your opinion, what exactly does it mean to "obey" Jesus?,

I'm thankful Jesus knows we need (I need) simple.

Love thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind, and strength. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Upvote 0