dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been watching a few video online of revivals that took place in the 1990s. I don't belong to any church at the moment, but in the church I grew up in there was nothing like what I am seeing in these videos. I refer to people shaking, falling under the power of the Holy Spirit, loud crying out to God (I think this was intercession), people coming forward in droves to the front. Does this always accompany revival, or can revival happen in a more quiet manner?

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Question for you:
If the holy spirit was responsible for causing someone to fall down or shaking ...do you think think there is anything I could do that would cause someone to stop from shaking or falling down ....and if there was ...does that make me more powerful than the holy spirit.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, once someone falls down, there's not much one can do, except if there are ushers who catch them and break their fall. But sometimes they are given a bit of a push.

My question was more about whether people can experience the Holy Spirit in revival without that, it seems not everyone of those who come forward shakes, or falls down. The minister was laying hands on people and shouting, "Jesus, more, more", but quite a few didn't fall over. Some however carried on shaking for days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know, once someone falls down, there's not much one can do, except if there are ushers who catch them and break their fall. But sometimes they are given a bit of a push.

My question was more about whether people can experience the Holy Spirit in revival without that, it seems not everyone of those who come forward shakes, or falls down. The minister was laying hands on people and shouting, "Jesus, more, more", but quite a few didn't fall over. Some however carried on shaking for days.

I brought that up for a reason … if I physically did something to them that caused them to stop shaking and sit up ….by sheer logic my foot or hand would be more powerful than the holy spirit… But I won’t get into my little experiment right now.

The true God does not possess, does not control, knock people down, cause them to shake out of control, or do anything other than what would be considered decently and in order. …but the god of this world can and does.

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

I am a proponent of speaking in tongues and operating the other 8 manifestations of the spirit. ……..but
There is no connection in the Word of God relating tongues with being slain in the spirit. or doing other goofy things. In fact the whole slain in the spirit is a counterfeit. I don’t care what people experience, if it is not in the Word, if it contradicts the truth; it’s off…… I am not saying that God can’t do special things for people at certain times, but God will never do anything that contradicts His Word for “He has magnified his Word above all his name” Psalms_138:2.

What I read in the Bible is that “all things are to be done decently and in order”.
What is decent and in order about someone blurting out uncontrollably, or running around the church screaming during service, or falling down in the aisles rolling around speaking in tongues. The speaking in tongues could be genuine, but the slain in the spirit is either being faked, or it is coming from a source other than the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Anytime our freedom of will is infringed upon or overstepped it is from a source other than the true God, and that is the majority of what I see with the “slain in the spirit”; as the name would indicate.
The scripture references given for “being slain in the spirit” are a real stretch… and worse. ……
With the scriptures that people are using it would appear that well meaning Christians are trying to validate an experience not based in truth, by wrenching scripture out of context to fit their beliefs.

I am not out to squash anyone’s excitement for the Lord but if it can’t be backed up by scripture you cannot claim it to be of Godly design, nor I am not saying God cannot go beyond what the Word says. But when actions or experiences elevate themselves beyond …contradicting the Word, we need to take a look at what the source is. Keep in mind that experiences are no guarantee for truth.
If the Word is not our criteria for then anything goes, and no one has the right to tell me I am wrong……………..correct

So if I feel that ripping off my cloths and running around the church naked speaking in tongues, singing “glory halleluiah” is a perfectly righteous way of expressing my love for Jesus and this experience makes me feel all warm and fuzzy for the Lord ……………who’s to condemn me for it. Without the parameters of the written Word, you have no bases with which to judge me.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question was more about whether people can experience the Holy Spirit in revival without that
Some people have/experience it..in "a more quiet manner".
---
Informative/interesting book on Revival.
'Global Revival'
- Matthew Backholer
---
The book starts with the chapter/question..
'What is Revival?'

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been watching a few video online of revivals that took place in the 1990s. I don't belong to any church at the moment, but in the church I grew up in there was nothing like what I am seeing in these videos. I refer to people shaking, falling under the power of the Holy Spirit, loud crying out to God (I think this was intercession), people coming forward in droves to the front. Does this always accompany revival, or can revival happen in a more quiet manner?
These are the Fruit of His Holy Spirit:
Love
Joy
Peace
Forbearance
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Selfcontrol

These fruits are contrary to His Fruit during a revival:
Loud crying
Shaking
Falling backwards
Uncontrollable body movements
Animal noises
Speaking gibberish
Uncontrollable laughter
Uncontrollable bursts of noise
Laying on the floor for hours
Etc.

Discern what you see and what you hear before you attribute it to our Lord, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I brought that up for a reason … if I physically did something to them that caused them to stop shaking and sit up ….by sheer logic my foot or hand would be more powerful than the holy spirit… But I won’t get into my little experiment right now.
I am wondering if shaking in some cases be something to do with the person's nervous system? In that case you'd only be stronger than the person doing the shaking IMO. But it might be better not to stop it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I am wondering if shaking in some cases be something to do with the person's nervous system? In that case you'd only be stronger than the person doing the shaking IMO. But it might be better not to stop it.
I agree ...I did used discernment in my approach.

Upvote 0