What does it mean to avoid every appearance of evil?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1st Thessalonians 5:22 says to avoid any appearance of evil. But what exactly does it mean to avoid any appearance of evil? In my opinion, this verse seems rather vague and open to different interpretations. I don't understand how to apply this verse to my life, and I don't know what an "appearance of evil" is.

skahler

Aug 6, 2010
✟575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My ESV Version has 1 Thessalonians 5:22 as:

"Abstain from every form of evil"

The study bible section says "Paul now moves on to stress, more generally, the importance of rejecting every form of evil".

I have always been one to "flee from sin" and to "purge the evil one from among us". There's a lot to be said about abstaining from our own sinful desires, along with being aware that we are not unequally yoked with non-believers. We are not to allow non-believers to have influence over us in a way that sacrifices the influence of the Gospel in our lives, because we are the body of Christ, the temple through which the Gospel is proclaimed.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My ESV Version has 1 Thessalonians 5:22 as:

"Abstain from every form of evil"

The study bible section says "Paul now moves on to stress, more generally, the importance of rejecting every form of evil".

I have always been one to "flee from sin" and to "purge the evil one from among us". There's a lot to be said about abstaining from our own sinful desires, along with being aware that we are not unequally yoked with non-believers. We are not to allow non-believers to have influence over us in a way that sacrifices the influence of the Gospel in our lives, because we are the body of Christ, the temple through which the Gospel is proclaimed.

What are some examples of abstaining from any appearances of evil?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMHO "abstaining from any appearances of evil" is intentionally vague. It means to not give the world any excuse to say that "Christians are no different from the rest of us. Look at the way they behave." We are called to live according to the Holy Spirit, giving spiritual light to the world, and avoiding all similarity to those who live in darkness.

Upvote 0

AFM

Former Pseudo-Christian.
Jan 4, 2014
Hawaii
✟7,840.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Exactly what pescador said. We ought to have no grey areas. A good test is this; If the world loves it, it's not good. The world loves homosexuals - we ought not to. The world loves abortion - we ought not to. The world loves movies - we ought not to. The world loves swearing - we ought not to. Obviously it's not infallible, but still. We ought to only do things of God, for good is of God, and all things of God are good. But the things of God cannot be good, for God is good.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
What are some examples of abstaining from any appearances of evil?
how about a single man not living together with a single woman making people think that they are having sex even if they are not doing so or hanging around with criminals even if you aren't one yourself.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1st Thessalonians 5:22 says to avoid any appearance of evil. But what exactly does it mean to avoid any appearance of evil? In my opinion, this verse seems rather vague and open to different interpretations. I don't understand how to apply this verse to my life, and I don't know what an "appearance of evil" is.

It does not mean "abstain from doing things that look evil". It means "Whenever evil appears, you stay away from it". The context won't support the former interpretation.

The clunky KJV translation (not that it's wrong, just ambiguous in English) has made itself 'doctrine', practically. I know people who use this verse wrong who haven't cracked a KJV in 40 years. But here is how other translators worded it:

New International Version
reject every kind of evil.

New Living Translation
Stay away from every kind of evil.

English Standard Version
Abstain from every form of evil.

New American Standard Bible
abstain from every form of evil.

Holman Christian Standard Bible

International Standard Version
Keep away from every kind of evil.

NET Bible
Stay away from every form of evil.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Flee from every evil matter.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

American Standard Version

Darby Bible Translation
hold aloof from every form of wickedness.

English Revised Version

Weymouth New Testament
Hold yourselves aloof from every form of evil.

World English Bible

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
16 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

So to me the context is praying and prophesying. Some people despise prophesies. We are to prove these words and hold to the good ones. It seems to me that some people don't like God speaking thru people and view this as evil. So Paul says we are to abstain from miss using God's word when he speaks thru someone. Which to me with be to take that word lightly.

I think that this phrase from the Bible can be misused. A person who feels something is very wrong, like wearing pants or lipstick or going to movies, or well over the years there have been a hundred of these type of things that someone feels other people shouldn't do but of course can't fine a verse in the Bible that says its wrong, so they say we are to avoid the appearance of evil.

Yet if something is evil clearly we are to avoid it.

Upvote 0

AFM

Former Pseudo-Christian.
Jan 4, 2014
Hawaii
✟7,840.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
The whole 'out of context' argument is not only vague but ridiculous. For example, I use this verse 'out of context'.

Titus 2:4-5. "so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored."

Is it out of context to use it as a 'commandment'? Technically, yes. But the verse nevertheless shows that it is considered a good thing for young women to love their husbands etc. Many verses, in context or out of it, have absolute truth in them. Whether or not it is 'in context' it still proves my point, because putting it 'in context' wouldn't stop it from supporting my point.

Another example; 1 Corinthians 10:31. "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Yes, the context is talking about food sacrificed to idols. But the phrase 'or whatsoever ye do' clearly makes it an absolute statement.

Back on topic, grey areas can generally be considered evil. Since God is good and good is of God, if something isn't of God (such as, let's say, smoking), it can be considered evil because it is not God and God contains all good in and of Himself. I would say that every thing has to be tested to see how it can in somehow help you in your walk with the Lord.

Eating would give you strength and keep you alive to serve God more. But eating excessively? It weakens you, makes you dull, and makes you want to sleep, for example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please bear with me here,

Unless we have been blessed in our knowledge of God and Scripture like Luke, "having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first", we internally depend on logic that has been shaped "outside" of Scripture. I remember way back when my walk with the Lord was still new, one of the major themes (that I picked up on) was of the issues of hypocrisy presented in the Gospels. I became quite sensitive regarding not talking about people behind their backs, not excusing myself with "petty" or "white" lies, and all those things people rely on to present themselves in their "best light" in front of other people. I recognized that the Pharisees, Saducees, etc., were all caught up in "appearing righteous" rather than "being righteous." (Of course as believers Christ Jesus is our righteousness in all things). Yet, I could not help but notice thinking about how people (including myself) were all caught up in appearances rather than on who they actually were.

Now I know that our own internal logic about certain Biblical concepts can also be slanted through our different experiences and understanding in life. And our growth in Christ brings these thoughts and ideas into a closer relationship to what Scripture says and how God's word shapes us toward who we are in Christ.

My main concern is that if we focus on the word "appearance" can we be in danger of creating our own personal 'Mishnah' of 690 plus rules to keep us away from what some people might consider as 'evil'. (For example, x number of steps is allowed on the Sabbath, even one more than that number of steps is sinful).

For instance somebody noticed that sharing an apartment with somebody of the opposite gender is considered as an appearance of evil, while in the day and age that we live in, sharing an apartment with somebody of the same gender can also raise the exact same "appearance" of evil.

The point is if something is evil, then abstain from it. If it is sin, avoid it. If a Christian follows an alcoholic friend that he is truly concerned about into a pub in order to encourage his friend not to have a drink when he is at the crisis point of temptation, do we condemn the Christian for "associating with wine-bibbers and sinners" since somebody who knows he's a Christian "saw him going into a pub"?

Our life in Christ is a life of freedom and liberty to live Christ's righteousness within us. It is a life motivated by love, compassion, and mercy. It is a life lived in the expression and work of God's grace. While we take into account the concerns of 'the weaker brother' we should not be ensnared by the logic that would bring us into the slavery of 'another gospel'. There is a big difference between "appearing righteous" so that we may be rewarded by men, and being so by the work of Christ in our lives.

It is very easy to not "appear evil", when underneath there are only dead men's bones.

Just some thoughts.

Upvote 0
D

Di1533

I think it likely means don't chase sin.

Helping a brother or sister who is struggling with a certain sin, doesn't make you guilty of that sin. Having friends and/or family that have yet to accept Jesus as their savior doesn't mean that you are sinning.

But going out and doing things you know through reading the Bible, and through the Holy Spirits prompting is sinful is what it is referring to. What tempts one of us might not be a temptation for another, so knowing who you are and what your weaknesses are is important in determining what is a temptation or not.

Like alcohol isn't a temptation for me. I don't like it, I don't like the way it makes me feel, so going into a bar or someplace where alcoholic drinks are served isn't an issue for me. But a brother or sister who struggles with that has to abstain from being around that.

But it is a very broad verse that can mean a lot of different things, like a lot of verses. And at some point the meaning might change for you or me depending on where life and God takes us. :)

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole 'out of context' argument is not only vague but ridiculous. For example, I use this verse 'out of context'.

The immediate context of this verse is:

"Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil."

How would one "test everything" in order to "hold fast to what is good" while at the same time trying to avoid looking evil?

But more importantly, we follow our Lord, first and foremost, and he certainly did not avoid looking evil as he dined with drunks and hookers and men with unwashed hands.

I don't think that Paul would have corrected him. (Though Saul certainly would have.)

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please bear with me here,

Unless we have been blessed in our knowledge of God and Scripture like Luke, "having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first", we internally depend on logic that has been shaped "outside" of Scripture. I remember way back when my walk with the Lord was still new, one of the major themes (that I picked up on) was of the issues of hypocrisy presented in the Gospels. I became quite sensitive regarding not talking about people behind their backs, not excusing myself with "petty" or "white" lies, and all those things people rely on to present themselves in their "best light" in front of other people. I recognized that the Pharisees, Saducees, etc., were all caught up in "appearing righteous" rather than "being righteous." (Of course as believers Christ Jesus is our righteousness in all things). Yet, I could not help but notice thinking about how people (including myself) were all caught up in appearances rather than on who they actually were.

Now I know that our own internal logic about certain Biblical concepts can also be slanted through our different experiences and understanding in life. And our growth in Christ brings these thoughts and ideas into a closer relationship to what Scripture says and how God's word shapes us toward who we are in Christ.

My main concern is that if we focus on the word "appearance" can we be in danger of creating our own personal 'Mishnah' of 690 plus rules to keep us away from what some people might consider as 'evil'. (For example, x number of steps is allowed on the Sabbath, even one more than that number of steps is sinful).

For instance somebody noticed that sharing an apartment with somebody of the opposite gender is considered as an appearance of evil, while in the day and age that we live in, sharing an apartment with somebody of the same gender can also raise the exact same "appearance" of evil.

The point is if something is evil, then abstain from it. If it is sin, avoid it. If a Christian follows an alcoholic friend that he is truly concerned about into a pub in order to encourage his friend not to have a drink when he is at the crisis point of temptation, do we condemn the Christian for "associating with wine-bibbers and sinners" since somebody who knows he's a Christian "saw him going into a pub"?

Our life in Christ is a life of freedom and liberty to live Christ's righteousness within us. It is a life motivated by love, compassion, and mercy. It is a life lived in the expression and work of God's grace. While we take into account the concerns of 'the weaker brother' we should not be ensnared by the logic that would bring us into the slavery of 'another gospel'. There is a big difference between "appearing righteous" so that we may be rewarded by men, and being so by the work of Christ in our lives.

It is very easy to not "appear evil", when underneath there are only dead men's bones.

Just some thoughts.

AMEN!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The immediate context of this verse is:

"Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil."

How would one "test everything" in order to "hold fast to what is good" while at the same time trying to avoid looking evil?

But more importantly, we follow our Lord, first and foremost, and he certainly did not avoid looking evil as he dined with drunks and hookers and men with unwashed hands.

I don't think that Paul would have corrected him. (Though Saul certainly would have.)

ATTA BOY GIRL!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
most of you are gentiles, i reckon, and the scripture says exactly what it means, and it is not determined by logic, nor by human wisdom, nor by human intelligence, nor by mankind, nor by society, nor by professors of theology(they are the worst offenders), nor by lawyers.

to those who are seeking truth, look up 'conscience' or 'heart' and 'torah' IN YHWH'S WORD,
and see what YHWH says. HE is Right, and He knows what He Means.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
most of you are gentiles, i reckon, and the scripture says exactly what it means, and it is not determined by logic, nor by human wisdom, nor by human intelligence, nor by mankind, nor by society, nor by professors of theology(they are the worst offenders), nor by lawyers.

to those who are seeking truth, look up 'conscience' or 'heart' and 'torah' IN YHWH'S WORD,
and see what YHWH says. HE is Right, and He knows what He Means.

Well I'm not a Gentile, I'm a (natural) Jew, which of course means absolutely nothing in Christ Jesus. As Paul clearly wrote in his letter to the Galatians, "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." It's true that scripture says exactly what it means, but how are we to determine what that is? It must be determined somehow, using the capabilities that God has given us and by his Spirit guiding us. We are not yet complete and infallible so our understanding is not complete and infallible. As Paul wrote to the church in Corinth "Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

So if you discredit everyone and everything, including people who have devoted their lives to the study of theology, why should anyone believe you? What are your qualifications? Are do you have some special knowledge that is denied to the rest of us?

My suggestion is that you do a word study on "pride".

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that there is a problem about avoiding all appearance of evil. We are supposed to be a witness to God and Christ in this world, which means very often differentiating ourselves by our thoughts, words, and actions. We simply want to avoid appearing the same as those who aren't in Christ.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does not mean "abstain from doing things that look evil". It means "Whenever evil appears, you stay away from it". The context won't support the former interpretation.

The clunky KJV translation (not that it's wrong, just ambiguous in English) has made itself 'doctrine', practically. I know people who use this verse wrong who haven't cracked a KJV in 40 years. But here is how other translators worded it:

New International Version
reject every kind of evil.

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

New American Standard Bible

Holman Christian Standard Bible

International Standard Version

NET Bible
Stay away from every form of evil.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Flee from every evil matter.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

American Standard Version

Darby Bible Translation
hold aloof from every form of wickedness.

English Revised Version

Weymouth New Testament
Hold yourselves aloof from every form of evil.

World English Bible
A very wise person who seems to have understood how to study this passage. :thumbsup:

Even Jesus would have "appeared" to be doing evil all the time by some limited
translations.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Avoid all appearance of evil" therefore could mean: when evil appears stay away from it. I agree with you about the KJV which is so archaic and vague-sounding to our 21st century ears that it is wide open to misinterpretation. In fact I think that many use the KJV so they can intentionally put their own spin on it with on-the-fly "translation".

Upvote 0