What does it mean that God is JUST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenster

Hello. I was pondering this question today, in regards to interpersonal conflict. Suppose Bob wrongs Harold. Bob does not repent, and Harold has to deal with the consequences of Bob's actions.

Bob's original action is in the past. It's gone, done with, can't be changed. Not only that, but he disavows any responsibility now for what Harold is suffering.

When we affirm that God is a JUST God, what does this mean to Harold? Can he believe that God will "deal" with Bob, and if so, in what way?

My point of confusion is this: If Jesus died for everyone's sins, then that should satisfy God's need for "payment" for the sins. So does that let everyone off the hook, and no one has to make up for the damage that he or she causes others?

Would greatly appreciate some clarification on this. Thank you!!

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things in this life can be very unfair and unjust but in eternity God will be just and do what's right. When He's done with the judgments, I doubt anyone will be able to say to Him, you are unjust. They might say it or want to say it, but in their hearts I think they'll know that He is just and right.

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

Jenster said:
Hello. I was pondering this question today, in regards to interpersonal conflict. Suppose Bob wrongs Harold. Bob does not repent, and Harold has to deal with the consequences of Bob's actions.

Bob's original action is in the past. It's gone, done with, can't be changed. Not only that, but he disavows any responsibility now for what Harold is suffering.

When we affirm that God is a JUST God, what does this mean to Harold? Can he believe that God will "deal" with Bob, and if so, in what way?

My point of confusion is this: If Jesus died for everyone's sins, then that should satisfy God's need for "payment" for the sins. So does that let everyone off the hook, and no one has to make up for the damage that he or she causes others?

Your question, and the basis of it lie in a basic lack of knowledge of G-d. This isn't meant as a slam. Most Christians have a pretty nebulous concept of G-d at best. The doctrine of G-d is not an easy study and entails more work than most want to put into it. Also, underlying this, is the fact that as a finite people we won't have a proper understanding and knowledge of G-d until we meet Him in glory.

Because G-d is G-d He has certain things or attributes that make Him G-d. More often than not Christians seem to only concentrate on His Attribute of Love. This is a big one because everyone is emotionally drawn to what everyone, even Oprah and Dr. Phil call unconditional love. Most people want the warm fuzzies, like PJs right out of the dryer or a hug from a loved one in front of a blazing fireplace. But one attribute does not a G-d make.

G-d has all of the attributes of G-d, and He has them in perfect balance. If He didn't He wouldn't be G-d. G-d's love has to be balanced by His other attributes, and He can't allow one attribute to overwhelm any of the others.
We could fill several pages of posts just listing and explaining the attributes of G-d. sufficient for our purposes will be a short list with a brief definition:
Sovereignty—G-d is totally, absolutely in control of everything
Immutability—G-d is unchangeable the same yesterday, today and forever.
Omniscience—G-d knows everything
Omnipresence—G-d is everywhere(perhaps better understood as everything and everyplace is continually before G-d)
Omnipotent—G-d can do anything
Holiness—G-d is completely separated from evil; separation from evil requires,
Justice—G-d must punish evil

You'll notice the last two item in this list (which is by no means comprehensive) the Holiness and Justice of G-d are the attributes (based also in the Sovereignty and omniscienc of G-d which make Him "Just" As the Creator and sustainer of life He sovereignly has the right and responsibility to determine right and wrong or righteousness and evil. Since His nature is completely separated from evil He has to punish it.

We are told in the Scriptures, "Vengeance is mine says the Lord, I will repay." We are promised that G-d will divinely determine how someone will pay for their evil or sin done in this life. We not only don't have to worry about it, we are commanded not to dwell upon it. Jesus said that we are to forgive thoses who wrong us 70 times 7 times. This was a Hebreism, or a way of saying that we are to just keep on forgiving. If we continue to dwell on the things that people do in this life to wrong us it creates a root of bitterness in our spirit which keeps us from enjoying the life that Jesus has purchesed for us.

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Greetings Jenster,

Regardless whether we are forgiven by God, we shall always have to "pay" for the penalties of our sins while we are yet in the flesh. If there are those whom we have sinned against and we do not reconcile with that person, it grieves the Holy Spirit and in some way will affect our relationship with God. A short while back a woman went on death row in Texas. She accepted the Lord and was truly saved. Everyone acknowledged this and many do-gooder Christians tried to get her off or at least change the death penalty to life imprisonment. No such luck. The penalty was still demanded and the woman accepted her fate as JUST for she acknowledged that her punishment was deserved.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

quadding101

Jun 29, 2005
✟125.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ur question has to do with free will as well as God being just. No one has to bad or wrong to another, if someone does another wrong then it was a choice. I know why we r here and what God wants but I wish He had done things different. WE will all answer for our deeds, words, and thoughts but it does nothing for the person that was wronged. But God uses hardship to win people to Him. Look at the lukewarm church in rev. they r a people that has a good life, has need for little and they have allowed themselves to be decieved into thinking they have God when in truth they do not have God. U can look back at the church and find that the church is strongest when there is hardship and when people r in need they will come to God. I hope this helps u understand a little more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theywhosowintears

Jan 9, 2005
Outback, Australia
✟983.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Jenster said:

Ummm Jesus paid for ALL sins...

but we have to accept the gift of salvation. (therefore only a repentant Christian can have their sins paid for and washed away)

So God does not count it against us anymore once we are washed by the blood of the Lamb. In essence Jesus died a horrible death (and rose again!) so that Bob wouldn't have to be punished for eternity.

*Bob gets off the hook with God*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However God does not always give us any protection form natural consequences or human justice.

Natural consequences: If you have sex outsid eof marriage that doesn't mean salvation makes your STI's magically disappear.

Human Justice: God forgives a murderer if they repent but that does not mean they should or will get out of jail, or even evade the death penalty.

I hope that helps

Upvote 0

mysteryman

Jun 24, 2005
✟411.00
Faith
You may deem it a strange prophecy, but I predict that a time will come in this once free America when the battle for religious liberty will have to be fought over again, and will probably be lost, because the people are already ignorant of its true basis and conditions." --Rev. Robert L. Dabney

DITTO _______________ from the mystery man_________

jesus died for everyones sins______ original post_______

does that give the right to hang your hat on him like a coat rack and walk in the pearly white gates and say "i'm here, the big fat liar."
no it does not! these kinds of posts only lead to one thing only . REPENT AND STOP SIN.______________________
so here, walks in Jesus , it's 2005. "hey everybody i'm Jesus" , "ya we know, your cool, glad you went to that cross for me. i'm still into getting wasted and into consensual sex and stuff, but thanks a whole bunch for dying for me. well see ya Jesus, i'm going out with the girls tonight. catch you tomrrow maybe'"
some say that, "Jesus died for our sins past, present, and future"..on that note of advice keep sining Jenstar, have no fear Jesus died for you, all you have to do is believe it.___________ whether he comes back or not.

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

Thank you all for replying! What a variety of good thoughts and points. You've given me much to think about.

Along the lines of consequences, I appreciate the posts explaining that natural effects and a more distant relationship with God result from sin.

Quadding, I share your concern for the person who was wronged. And thank you for pointing out that hardship allows for development of faith. Perhaps, as Dad Ernie suggested (and I'm extrapolating here), the spiritual consequences of sin are at the heart of justice while we are yet in the flesh.

For example, a Christian woman who is shot during a robbery and paralyzed for life will never regain what was taken from her (her ability to walk). But she does have the relationship with God, which is her real treasure. Meanwhile the robber, even if he does come to Christ later or (unfathomably) is already a Christian, is grieving the Holy Spirit and suffering distance from the Lord.

This reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son (although the prodigal son's brother does not acknowledge his constantly close relationship with his Dad, and turns bitter rather than enjoying that blessing).

Peace to all and thank you again. :angel:

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LukeBritt said:
After we are saved, Christ helps us to stop sin. We cannot repent of our own accord, neither can we be sanctified on our own accord.

A simple truth. I wish more of us truly believed that.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LukeBritt again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.