What does "Avoid worldly things" mean to you?

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I posted a song on my facebook wall called "I don't want to miss a thing!", its a romance song. It was originally made by aerosmith. But this version was by a couple who sang it lovely (no guitars...etc).

My fiance didn't listen to it. She said "I don't want to listen to it if its worldly!". Which made me wonder if shes being to extreme. I notice some people try so hard to be good christians that they literally try to avoid everything they can. But in my view its impossible to avoid worldly things. This doesn't mean you don't try obviously. But where is the line between being safe and being extreme?

I watch the show Fringe. I own a Ipod Touch. I own Tron Legacy on Blurray....etc. Would God own/use this stuff? No. But I am ok with it. Its not my idol nor does it change who I am. Which to me is what worldly boils down to. So to me I am not being worldly. I have heard from those who try to avoid everything. And yet they are using a computer, own a cell phone, wear clothes, drive a car...etc. So it makes me notice as much as they avoid it, they still are worldly.

Its why I think people can go to far and not realize no matter how they try. You can't avoid 100% of worldly things. On a side note I wish I could come up with a way to talk to my fiance about this so she will understand.

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Being ‘worldly’ can be defined as partaking in the values, desires, perceptions, attitudes, and behaviour that characterize unredeemed human cultures.
The worldly person is one who is squeezed into the mold of the ‘kosmos’ i.e. the world system or the world’s way of thinking, in contrast to one whose whole world view has been transformed by God (Rom 12:2).
Worldliness is not necessarily a matter of participating in questionable activities or adopting certain styles of dress or appearance, as some christians in every generation have supposed.
It is rather the acceptance of the values and assumptions of a society that
has no place for God.

Source: Bible Dictionary

Also--
"Do not love the world or the things in the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
(1 John 2:15)

Meaning is, that we are not to fix our affections on worldly objects - on what the world can furnish - as our portion, with the spirit with which they do who live only for this world, regardless of the life to come.

"Neither the things that are in the world"--Referred to in the next verse as
"the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.

Meaning--we are not to love the things which are sought merely to pamper the appetite,
to please the eye, or to promote pride in living.
These are the objects sought by the people of the world; these are not the objects
to be sought by the Christian.

I do believe Matthew Henry explained it best:
The things of the world may be desired and possessed for the uses and purposes which God intended, and they are to be used by his grace, and to his glory; but believers must not seek or value them for those purposes to which sin abuses them.
The world draws the heart from God; and the more the love of the world prevails, the more the love of God decays.
The things of the world are classed according to the three ruling inclinations of depraved nature.
1. The lust of the flesh, of the body: wrong desires of the heart, the appetite of indulging all things that excite and inflame sensual pleasures.

2. The lust of the eyes: the eyes are delighted with riches and rich possessions; this is the lust of covetousness.

3. The pride of life: a vain man craves the grandeur and pomp of a vain-glorious life; this includes thirst after honour and applause. The things of the world quickly fade and die away; desire itself will ere long fail and cease, but holy affection is not like the lust that passes away. The love of God shall never fail.

Source: Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
She's being a bit legalistic and taboo if she thinks listening to a song that isn't directly related to God is a "sin". That's a bit silly, no? Do we drive cars? Do we work? Do we live?

Do sinners and shunners of God not drive cars? Do we not do that either?
Do sinners and shunners of God not work? Do we not do that either?
Do sinners and shunners of God not live? Should we just kill ourselves?

See where I'm going with this? That's very extreme, and where is that line drawn? I would suggest that the verses in the Bible that insinuate a separation from us and the world merely means sin, present and evil sin.

I will not ever live my life so I will "appear" to not be sinning. If I'm not sinning, I'm not sinning. If it looks like I am, guess what, stop insinuating and assuming. Not my fault. :p

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well her mother is a pastor in her country. So I get the feeling shes very much force fed her moms beliefs. But at the same time to be fair shes willing to learn as a growing christian. So maybe I can talk to her about this.

Yeah from what you describe BFine I don't really think I am worldly. I'm not perfect obviously though. But I find no value in my tv or movies...ect. There just things I use one and awhile. Just like the songs I listen to. I do avoid obvious things like I avoid rap or heavy metal. I avoid things that takes Gods name in vein.

I do have a friend that literally nitpicks everything I post on facebook like "Thay may be a christian picture but how do you know that person that posted it is christian?" or "THat youtube clip of a cat chasing a dog is unchristian since we don't know anything about whats going on!". This person is now gone from my friends list. I know my fiance isn't that bad though.

It will be hard for her to adjust to our culture where every second of the day we are bombarded with secular/worldly things.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Avoiding worldly things means to avoid mirroring the world, and only mirroring God. I think this has less to do with what we are doing, but why we are doing these things. The only action I can think of being a requirement is: don't make a brother stumble.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Romans 15:1-7
(Read)
The responsibility of the strong believer towards the weak believer:

What should the strong believer do?
To receive the weak believer, as God has (Rom. 14:1,3)
To not despise the weak believer (Rom. 14:2)
To not put a stumbling block in his way (Rom. 14:13,20)
To walk "charitably," that is, according to love (Rom. 14:15)
To be willing to sacrifice our own rights and liberties so as not to bring ruin to our brother (Rom. 14:15)
To pursue peace in the body of Christ (Rom. 14:17,19)
To edify and build up the weak believer, erecting stepping stones to growth (Rom. 14:19)
To not flaunt our liberty before our weak brother (Rom. 14:22)
To bear patiently his weaknesses (Rom. 15:1)
To not be pleasing self (Rom. 15:1)

The strong believer is not to be pleasing himself. That is, he is not to be gratifying his own selfish desires.
Our first concern must not be for self-gratification but the weak brother’s edification, even if this involves personal sacrifice and self-denial (saying "NO" to self).

*I do confess, this isn't easy.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is something I have struggled with for a while now and I can't seem to grasp it completely. I really wish I knew what it meant by worldly. My issue for this is I like playing videogames every now and then. What I don't understand is if this is a bad thing or not. I honestly just play them for fun. Same with Netflix, I'm on there sometimes just watching shows for entertainment. ( I don't pick shows that are bad)

This is what confuses me about the whole worldly concept. I'm not trying to sin or anything I'm just doing some of the hobbies I've always loved to do, hobbies I've always grown up really enjoying. I honestly don't know what to do about it...:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barricade24

Feb 3, 2012
In a Chair
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is something I have struggled with for a while now and I can't seem to grasp it completely. I really wish I knew what it meant by worldly. My issue for this is I like playing videogames every now and then. What I don't understand is if this is a bad thing or not. I honestly just play them for fun. Same with Netflix, I'm on there sometimes just watching shows for entertainment. ( I don't pick shows that are bad)

This is what confuses me about the whole worldly concept. I'm not trying to sin or anything I'm just doing some of the hobbies I've always loved to do, hobbies I've always grown up really enjoying. I honestly don't know what to do about it...:confused:

I always under the impression that "wordly" meant being like unbelievers in terms of opinion. For example their view on sex which is anywhere on anytime. That is something I would consider "wordly."

But I've never fully explored its definition.

Upvote 0

COG2013

Nov 5, 2012
Quartz Hill, Ca, USA
✟15,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I posted a song on my facebook wall called "I don't want to miss a thing!", its a romance song. It was originally made by aerosmith. But this version was by a couple who sang it lovely (no guitars...etc).

My fiance didn't listen to it. She said "I don't want to listen to it if its worldly!". Which made me wonder if shes being to extreme. I notice some people try so hard to be good christians that they literally try to avoid everything they can. But in my view its impossible to avoid worldly things. This doesn't mean you don't try obviously. But where is the line between being safe and being extreme?

I watch the show Fringe. I own a Ipod Touch. I own Tron Legacy on Blurray....etc. Would God own/use this stuff? No. But I am ok with it. Its not my idol nor does it change who I am. Which to me is what worldly boils down to. So to me I am not being worldly. I have heard from those who try to avoid everything. And yet they are using a computer, own a cell phone, wear clothes, drive a car...etc. So it makes me notice as much as they avoid it, they still are worldly.

Its why I think people can go to far and not realize no matter how they try. You can't avoid 100% of worldly things. On a side note I wish I could come up with a way to talk to my fiance about this so she will understand.
You don't have to try to avoid worldly things if your heart is set in a spiritual place with Jesus. If you are in the right spiritual place, worldly things will mean no more to you than anything else. Sharing the nature and wisdom of Jesus is the armor against worldly or carnal exposure.

I know that doesn't solve the problem with your girlfriend. Instead of trying to change how she feels, change the way she IS. Help her to grow, not theologically, but spiritually.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xxxxxxtra

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
✟603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She's being a bit legalistic and taboo if she thinks listening to a song that isn't directly related to God is a "sin". That's a bit silly, no? Do we drive cars? Do we work? Do we live?

Do sinners and shunners of God not drive cars? Do we not do that either?
Do sinners and shunners of God not work? Do we not do that either?
Do sinners and shunners of God not live? Should we just kill ourselves?

See where I'm going with this? That's very extreme, and where is that line drawn? I would suggest that the verses in the Bible that insinuate a separation from us and the world merely means sin, present and evil sin.

I will not ever live my life so I will "appear" to not be sinning. If I'm not sinning, I'm not sinning. If it looks like I am, guess what, stop insinuating and assuming. Not my fault. :p

That is exactly what we are to do. Be crucified with christ.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
That is exactly what we are to do. Be crucified with christ.

Do you know what the term crucified with Christ means? It means our sins went with Him to the grave. We are free in His resurrection, because our sins died with Christ. That's what that means. How is that applicable in this conversation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tbogunro

Sep 30, 2012
DeKalb, IL
✟15,867.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First you can't avoid worldly things because you live here and still have the flesh attached to you and we are also called to those of the world. Worldly things = flesh desires (selfish desires). Basically don't put anything above God and the opposite of selfishness. Don't get CONSUMED by the things in this world because it's all going to fade. it doesn't mean you can't enjoy things on earth, actually God wants to bless you, but ALWAYS know where all God things come from. Also if you're saved, you're born of the spirit so you're heaven bound :)

Galatians 5:19-21 AMP

Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious):
they are immorality, impurity, indecency, Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill
temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with
peculiar opinions, heresies), Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you
beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not
inherit the kingdom of God.

2 Corinthians 4:18 AMP

Since we consider and look not to the
things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are
visible are temporal (brief and fleeting), but the things that are invisible are
deathless and everlasting.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Freakazoid, I think you have a very balanced and healthy view of things.

Remember that old saying- 'too heavenly minded to be of any earthly use'?

There's rarely a faster way for a person to repel others from Jesus than to have a narrow mindset that advocates that if something isn't overtly 'Christian' then it must be evil/ wrong/ sinful/ whatever.

My hubby had a work colleague like that years ago. He only listened to Praise music, read only the Bible, talked only about God, Jesus and his faith and so on.

I pitied him.People walked away from him and avoided him (and let's not buy into that old chestnut that any form of rejection is due to 'Aha! The world hates me because it can't stand the things of God!'- people 'rejected' him not because he was 'so Godly'- but because he behaved, quite frankly, like an obsessed oddball. Way to show Jesus to the world!)

I pitied all the wonderful God inspired things he missed out on- the wonders of laughter, music, literature, art... all sorts. How sad to think that there is only one way for gifts to be used. How sad to believe that even the most harmless thing can 'taint' one if it isn't screaming 'Christian' at us. What a frightened and tiny faith that mentality must inspire.

I'm so glad I know the Christ who came to give life in abundance, who indulged in so called worldly things like feasts and gatherings with the dregs of society and the 'bad influences' and left those people touched with his goodness, not touched BY their sinfulness.

Not that that really helps with what you, Freakazoid, were saying !!!! Maybe you could ask what her actual worry is? For example, ask her something like 'if you listened to this particular song- what would make you uncomfortable about it? In what WAY do you feel it's wordly? In what way do you feel that it will damage your walk with Jesus or harm your faith?' (although not in an quick- fire interrogation like that ! :) )
Maybe gently getting her to really examine WHY she thinks something is worldly or wrong will open up discussions for you and help her to see if this is simply something she's taken on board without ever understanding, or if she has real concerns.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for all the replies. I myself know I now feel better. I sometimes do worldly things like watch a movie, but it doesn't effect my christianity. However that stuff that use to effect my life I now have gotten rid of. Example I usually played violent games, but after reexamining my life I got rid of them because I felt they were effecting my actions in life. And I feel better for it now that its gone! God has blessed me more!

I think for her she was the middle child so she didn't get much attention in terms of christianity. So she sort of had to learn on her on her own since her mother was busy being a pastor with everyone else. I really feel she fears that if the outside world gets to her, it might make her resort to being a bad person since she messes up sometimes. I've told her though the bible never says once a christian we won't mess up.

On top of that I think she feels guilty that her other siblings are all missionaries and she is not. So its alot to live up to when your family appears to be doing more then you, well at least in her mind I imagine. I think maybe this is common with children of pastors. They often are under big microscopes by their parents to be the perfect children. Which is something I know she has told me. Even when shes out on public (in her small village) she has to be perfect. Some of that may also be from her asian background.

I know in terms of coming to America, I told her to think of it as the ultimate battle ground in terms of being a christian. Theres lots of people to help here, to save...etc But its also a great place to see how you can handle various trials and test as a christian. From our media to our friends there are many beliefs and views that will try to get you to change your view. Where as where she is there aren't alot of issues since like 90% of the count is catholic, 8% varied christian denominations (like she is) and 2% muslim.

I told her I love her to much to let anyone change her path other then to stay focused on God. Its why I think maybe we were put together by God. So she could have someone that really loves her and wants to help her grow (as I grow too) since I've been through many hard trials and had to mature alot as a christian and as a man. Just yesterday she posted a video of herself singing a love song for me.

When I told her it made me cry (joyful tears) she was so happy. When I asked what sparked this since shes usually shy. She said its because (as she has said before) God had answered her prayers in providing a strong christian man that will not lead her astray from God. Again it added to me tears lol.

Lastly I notice they don't really talk about disabilities there. I know that she had typhoides as a child, nearly died but managed to recover with partial hearing loss. Granted they never bothered to get it fixed. So there may be other damage done to her that no one knows about. She is smart but at the same time fragile like a child in terms of her learning. Maybe shes learning disabled to some extent. I'd love to help her with that if its the case since I was learning disabled.

Just keep us in your prayers. Our wedding is fast approaching. I will continue to seek wisdom from God so I can help her grow as my wife, best friend and spiritual other half! :)

Upvote 0