Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I currently live in central UK but am from the south, I have a stereotypical english accent.

I have always wanted to know, how exactly do I 'ark' at someone? Do I build a giant boat in front of them?

Been to the USA a few times, always good fun, on the whole I find americans are more welcoming than the brits, us brits tend to want to know people's motives before receiving them.

I do however find that every american I've met asks the same questions, is that taught in school? An american friend took me to a large church in Kansas city, by the end I felt like I was his pet dog after everyone had come to 'pet the brit'. Some of them even though I was faking my accent :}

Do americans think that brits talk too fast? I was in a restaurant in chicago, the waiter took our order then left, the manager came over and said that he had to retake the order as the waiter could not understand us :D I shall have to send my liverpudlian friends in their direction to see how they cope then.

I can understand!

When I was in the UK, I got asked if I owned a horse, all kinds of crazy things. And the whole neighbourhood practically wanted to talk to me. Very odd.

Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
I'm a Dub, but I live in Scotland now
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The only reason why I might not consider myself a "Brit" (I do consider myself British by the way) is that Wales is not represented on the Union Jack. That's another topic altogether though.

I thought the diagonal red lines were the cross of Saint David?

Doesn't really matter though, how much cooler would the Union Jack look with a big dragon in the middle of it!

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Do americans think that brits talk too fast? I was in a restaurant in chicago, the waiter took our order then left, the manager came over and said that he had to retake the order as the waiter could not understand us :D I shall have to send my liverpudlian friends in their direction to see how they cope then.

I think that it goes for any accent that people are not accustomed to. Whenever I am talking to someone and they have a strong accent that I'm not accustomed to, I have to keep asking them what they just said because I can't understand, having to do with accent and sometimes if they talk to fast.
It gets embarrassing after a while of not understanding. And probably frustrating for both people.
I was working at a bookstore a few months ago at my school, and I couldn't understand one of our customers so I got the manager to handle them.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's St Patrick, that's Ireland.

When England united with Scotland and the first Union Flag was created (without the red diagonals) Wales was part of the Kingdom of England so didn't get on the flag.

Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's St Patrick, that's Ireland.

When England united with Scotland and the first Union Flag was created (without the red diagonals) Wales was part of the Kingdom of England so didn't get on the flag.

Ah right, I probably should have known that!

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Amen! :D Here is a photo of the flag of St David (minus the football stuff on there!) :bow:It is the "real" Welsh flag out of the two.

Someone told me that the yellow "cross" represents the "light of God" (salvation) over the black representing the darkness of sin.

Maybe it's a bit of poetic liscence but it still sounds cool. :cool:

Doesn't really matter though, how much cooler would the Union Jack look with a big dragon in the middle of it!

Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I like the Irish flag, the Green represents Irish nationalism, essentially Catholicism, the orange represents Protestant immigrants, who were mostly Unionist, and the white represents peace between them. I think it was great that this particular flag was chosen, instead of a purely Nationalist one.
[/hijack]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I have no issues with Brits in general. What I do have problems with (and this goes for anyone of any nationality) are individuals who make broad, sweeping generalizations about an entire nation based on the collective actions of a group or number of groups. On other forums/chats/sites I go to, I run into Brits who take every opportunity they can to slander and ridicule America and Americans in general for something a group or groups of people have done. Of course, trying to talk to them in a rational, civil manner about their misconceptions is a lesson in futility, and I generally try to avoid those people.

This goes with any nationality, including Americans. I don't have issues with people of a nationality as a whole. What I have a problem with is when someone of another nationality goes on a mud-slinging, generalization rampage of another country while trying to depict their own country to be the best thing that ever happened since the creation of the automobile.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have no issues with Brits in general. What I do have problems with (and this goes for anyone of any nationality) are individuals who make broad, sweeping generalizations about an entire nation based on the collective actions of a group or number of groups. On other forums/chats/sites I go to, I run into Brits who take every opportunity they can to slander and ridicule America and Americans in general for something a group or groups of people have done. Of course, trying to talk to them in a rational, civil manner about their misconceptions is a lesson in futility, and I generally try to avoid those people.
Agreed. Been there, done that. I used to be okay with them, but the amount of arrogance and anti-American attitudes I have encountered from them have made me change my mind.

Upvote 0

Thomas1984

*Expect the Unexpected*
Jun 6, 2006
✟19,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

This goes with any nationality, including Americans. I don't have issues with people of a nationality as a whole. What I have a problem with is when someone of another nationality goes on a mud-slinging, generalization rampage of another country while trying to depict their own country to be the best thing that ever happened since the creation of the automobile.

Agreed. Been there, done that. I used to be okay with them, but the amount of arrogance and anti-American attitudes I have encountered from them have made me change my mind.

I'm sorry to hear that the two of you have been exposed to such rudeness. I think it boils down to narrow-mindedness, which never helps to build postive relationships.

So in the spirit of offering the olive branch of peace: :hug::kiss:

There, all better.:D:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry to hear that the two of you have been exposed to such rudeness. I think it boils down to narrow-mindedness, which never helps to build postive relationships.

Thanks. Much appreciated. :3

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I agree with you 100 hundred percent. Talking to a foreigner who is anti-American is a waste time, effort and breath.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

Upvote 0