What do you guys believe?

Foundstone

Jul 17, 2010
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum. I just joined up because I've never really been exposed to much religion of any sort, and I was wondering what it was all about. I want to be more informed, and learn what religion does for you, and what you think I could be missing out on by not being a religious person. I'd especially appreciate if some of you would let me know what you believe and why you believe it. If you're interested in my beliefs I would of course be happy to reciprocate also.

Thanks very much!

Reactions: Sphinx777

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First of all, I would differentiate between Christianity and "religion." Religion is always man's effort(s) to reach up to G-d, and that's fatally flawed because our arms aren't long enough. It results in all sorts of rules and lists of things to do and not to do.

Adam and Eve couldn't even keep one rule! While that's not the whole moral of the story, it certainly is a big part of it. And ever since then people try to pretend we can do better by piling on more rules. So if ya ever wondered why G-d refers to people as "sheep," that would be it. Sheep are D-U-M-B. Affectionate, capable of loyalty and recognizing the shepherd's voice, but dumb. Just like the smartest of us compared to G-d.

True Christianity is the exact opposite of keeping a list of rules and being good enough. It is recognizing G-d loves us so much He reached down to our level, and met every one of us at our worst. That's what the cross is all about. That's the only thing any of us and all of us have in common with Him, and it grants us all free access to G-d's best, in this life! So the hard part is we have to receive it as the free gift it is, which is simply not in our nature as it completely bypasses our pride.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Sir Wilshire

Jun 27, 2010
✟7,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum. I just joined up because I've never really been exposed to much religion of any sort, and I was wondering what it was all about.

James 1:27 said:
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

That is what it's about, as James the Apostle said almost 2000 years ago.

I want to be more informed, and learn what religion does for you,

Jesus is everything to me, and without him, I am nothing.

and what you think I could be missing out on by not being a religious person. I'd especially appreciate if some of you would let me know what you believe and why you believe it. If you're interested in my beliefs I would of course be happy to reciprocate also. Thanks very much!

You would be missing out on reality. One should be a Christian if it's true. If Jesus rose from the dead, then it's true. There is a great amount of evidence that he did. Also, because we need him. We all sin, and only he has provided a logical solution to saving us from sinning against a holy God. And he said the fullness of life (this one and the next) are found in following him.

Upvote 0

Foundstone

Jul 17, 2010
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm sure it's just because of the extent of my ignorance, but I have to admit I'm not sure I understand your responses very well. Sorry, I really am a total beginner here. Perhaps I should have provided a little background. razeontherock, I appreciate your pointing out the distinction between religion and christianity. I apologize if I misuse terminology here, I really have no idea what I'm doing. By all means correct me if I seem to be misusing or misunderstanding concepts here. So here's my background:

I'm a 27 year old engineer from Vancouver, Canada. I'm not aware of anyone in my family who is religious, and I couldn't tell you what religion, if any, my ancestors practiced or belonged to. You could say I'm basically a spiritual blank slate. My knowledge of christianity is pretty limited. I don't really have any idea of what the concept of "god" means to people. I'm not very familiar with the story of Jesus. I'm not familiar with any scripture. I imagine you folks would know better than me where to start exactly, but perhaps an explanation of what the concept of god means to you would be a good starting place.

PS. Should I be spelling it "g-d"? I apologise if I'm offending anyone by spelling out the whole word. Perhaps someone can explain the censorship to me.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I've observed is a clear distinction of those who are seeking God and others who are content with life and enjoy discussion. I am interested to know what you think about the purpose of life, why it might exist and what our role is when we each spend a time here then move on to Heaven. What we happen to think of everything isn't quite the full picture God has but it's still fun to talk about it :)

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm a new member to this forum. I just joined up because I've never really been exposed to much religion of any sort, and I was wondering what it was all about. I want to be more informed, and learn what religion does for you, and what you think I could be missing out on by not being a religious person. I'd especially appreciate if some of you would let me know what you believe and why you believe it. If you're interested in my beliefs I would of course be happy to reciprocate also.
Hi, Foundstone. I'm very glad that you're here and that you're interested in learning about what other people believe. I hope that you stay awhile and that a lot of fruitful discussion comes out of this thread and any others that you start.

To answer your question, let me first say that I was raised in an atheist household, and also one that was politically very left-wing. So throughout my early life I had a very clear non-religious dogma. I went to a college of science and engineering. While I was in college and later graduate school I noticed many things which caused me to question the things I was raised to believe. While it was certainly true that the professors of science and math knew a great deal in their subject areas, many of them seemed to know very little about making connections among human beings and finding one's purpose in life. Also, it became clear that the left-wing political leaders I had followed were frankly hypocritical and not deserving of my respect.

So that took the bottom of my worldview out from under me. As a result, in grad school, I began exploring the world's philosophies and religions with an open mind. The result of that exploration was that I found in the teachings of Jesus Christ the greatest amount of wisdom that I have ever found. Or, in short, I believe that Christ's great commandment that we should love all others unconditionally is the best basis for a human life. [Matthew 22:36-40] And while there is certainly much more to Christianity than that, I think it all follows from that.

If you'd like a better understanding of what Christians believe and how we square it with the knowledge of the modern world, there's two books that I highly recommend. The first is A Guide for the Perplexed by E. F. Schumacher and the second is Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton. Both of these authors were atheists or agnostics when they were young and wrote their books with the intention of explaining how they changed their mind. I'd recommend starting with Schumacher's book because it was written recently and is probably easier to understand. It's a simple introduction to the basics of religions thought. Chesterton lived about 100 years ago in England so his writing is more old-fashioned, but still lively and very funny. He makes a strong defense of all the major tenets of Christianity. Another advantage is that both these books are short, about 100 pages each, and you could probably finish them in one afternoon.

You can read Orthodoxy online by clicking here:
Orthodoxy | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
PS. Should I be spelling it "g-d"? I apologise if I'm offending anyone by spelling out the whole word. Perhaps someone can explain the censorship to me.
Some groups choose not to write out "god" based on a tradition going back to biblical times, but most Christians are fine with it, and most people on this board write "god" so there's no need to worry about it.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed with that. I only adopted it recently, having been writing about Him quite a bit lately. Familiarity breeds contempt, so I remind myself there's quite a bit still unknown.

So what is this God?

Paul the Apostle preached a sermon on "the unknown God." I think that's the best place to start. With whatever petty little disagreements there may be, nobody will tell you they have a monopoly, or know everything about who He is.

Here's how I look at it: the Earth beneath your feet took power to come into being. The whole Universe did. This is indisputable! That's God. Einstein said if you took the sum of all the physical laws of the Universe, you'd have God. More recently scientists have said if there is a God, He must be much bigger than we've ever imagined.

All of that is true, and withstands scrutiny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Thanks very much!
Hey Foundstone. :>

Well as for my beliefs, let's start at the top:

I believe that the universe, all matter and even time itself itself was created by an omnipotent being, and I believe we were created by this being too. In regards to the how, I have no issues with evolution being the driving force, but I believe this being set things in motion in accordance with an overall plan for humans specifically. After some time spent researching and studying things I believe the identity of this being is Yaweh, which is the Hebrew name for God in the Bible. I also believe this more so now than ever before due to a feeling and sense of a personal relationship with this being. I believe that God sent His son Jesus Christ to us, to teach us how to live in relationship with Him and each other. I also believe Christ was killed on the cross by means of crucifixion and raised 3 days later by God to fulfill His promise to us, which is the offer of grace eternal. I believe if you accept this offer, you will have life eternal in relationship with God, and if you do not, you will have death eternal being destroyed in Hell and being separated from God once and for all.

That's about it really in regards to beliefs, I mean there are lots of little facets in there that fill out the details. :)

As to the reasons for believing this, well, it's been a long journey. I've been a Christian for 5 years but I think this journey started years before that in some respects. Anyhow, mainly I believed it at first due to academic reasons, I was quite overwhelmed by the amazing information contained in the Bible, and how it related to me and my life. After that I was convinced more by a sense of relation with God, I feel I can rely on God now for things and I draw all my decisions and actions from what I feel God wants.

How about you, what do you believe?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm sure it's just because of the extent of my ignorance, but I have to admit I'm not sure I understand your responses very well. Sorry, I really am a total beginner here. Perhaps I should have provided a little background. razeontherock, I appreciate your pointing out the distinction between religion and christianity. I apologize if I misuse terminology here, I really have no idea what I'm doing. By all means correct me if I seem to be misusing or misunderstanding concepts here. So here's my background:

I'm a 27 year old engineer from Vancouver, Canada. I'm not aware of anyone in my family who is religious, and I couldn't tell you what religion, if any, my ancestors practiced or belonged to. You could say I'm basically a spiritual blank slate. My knowledge of christianity is pretty limited. I don't really have any idea of what the concept of "god" means to people. I'm not very familiar with the story of Jesus. I'm not familiar with any scripture. I imagine you folks would know better than me where to start exactly, but perhaps an explanation of what the concept of god means to you would be a good starting place.

This thread addresses what "God" is: http://www.christianforums.com/t7478810/#post55219467

However, for Christians it is more a matter of "who" God is, He is the Heavenly father of life who created everything in perfection and has suffered disappointment from His creatures having turned against Him. There's a lot to learn from Christianity, much more than can be simply written, however I have summarized it in another post and I feel it's quite concise:

God exists. Always did, always will. He made some creatures which He could share His life with, these are called angels and they are spiritual not physical. He created a physical model of life called "the universe" and made little God-like robots who wander around living their life making their own decisions as though they are God on earth. Some of the angels God created decided to turn against their creator because they wanted to rule and dominate the universe, and the most famous angel convinced the human to turn against God by wanting to become God. Ever since that moment in The Garden of Eden, the world is contaminated with sin. This is why there is so much anti-good in the world, because humans have taken side with the enemy of God. But God wanted to live forever with the human instead of sending it out of His sight, so this is why The Holy Bible has been manifested into the world, that Christians can learn these sorts of answers from God instead of spending their lives cursing God for anything they happen not to like. It's all about like and dislike, it is human greed which is exploited to cause sin, and this is why some humans will impact another human unfairly for their own gain, which we call selfishness. The essence of Christianity is selflessness.

We are all born into this world as corrupted humans, sinful by nature (some more than others of course!), and therefore no matter how "good" we think we are, we are not capable of being holy enough for God's presence. It is only by accepting Jesus as our adjudicator that we can be confident our sins are forgiven, and we can only accept Jesus when we are ready to lay down our life of sin and begin a life of repentance - turning away from sin and toward holiness. It's a life-long decision, but that is the ticket for the human to be transformed into a holy creature. Once our spirit ascends from the sinful earth, we are relieved of our temptations. This also happens when Jesus returns to the world and Satan is ridden.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This last sentence cracks me up ^_^ I'm not pickin' on ya Oi, you've posted some really nice stuff on this subject.

This also happens when Jesus returns to the world and Satan is ridden.

Ridden. Is that like the 4 horsemen? ^_^

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This last sentence cracks me up ^_^ I'm not pickin' on ya Oi, you've posted some really nice stuff on this subject.

Ridden. Is that like the 4 horsemen? ^_^
Hi Raze, my name is Antz ;)

I should say "banished". To my understanding those spirits of evil who continue to fight against God are sent to the bottomless pit when Jesus reigns.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup:

Lookin' forward to it. :cool:

Til then, we are supposed to be walking "above" them, keeping them in check. Do you agree? I think this is a marvellous direction to take this thread! I mean, look at the title ...

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool." Hebrews 10:12-13

What do you make of that? Then add to that that Stephen (Acts 7) saw Jesus standing at the right hand of G-d, right before being martyred and right after preaching the second best sermon in the Bible. (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup:

Lookin' forward to it. :cool:

Til then, we are supposed to be walking "above" them, keeping them in check. Do you agree? I think this is a marvellous direction to take this thread! I mean, look at the title ...

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool." Hebrews 10:12-13

What do you make of that? Then add to that that Stephen (Acts 7) saw Jesus standing at the right hand of G-d, right before being martyred and right after preaching the second best sermon in the Bible. (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc)

Yes it is not every person who wills to be martyred, and not every martyr who is throned with God, but we adore Him whose blessed spirit lives forever amen.

You can know Jesus too, it's a very personal matter that you believe what He says. You should read some of His words in The Bible and see if you like what He says. I always recommend Matthew chapter 8:

Matthew 13 - Passage Lookup - GOD’S WORD Translation - BibleGateway.com

It is my distinctive belief that only Jesus can produce 100% perfect word, all of us are not capable of sharing a true comprehension as God can, thereby making Jesus the son of God incarnate on earth, the humans have chosen to be the enemy of God by crucifying The Christ and a few disciples. The rest of them get their heads chopped off, so the world continues to be at war with God while the enemy roams here. There's heaps to think about just from just one story of life :D

Upvote 0

Foundstone

Jul 17, 2010
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks folks, that's a good start. I'll see if I can respond to some of your comments.

What I've observed is a clear distinction of those who are seeking God and others who are content with life and enjoy discussion. I am interested to know what you think about the purpose of life, why it might exist and what our role is when we each spend a time here then move on to Heaven.
Well, you can certainly count me among the latter. I'm very happy and content with my life. I feel as complete and as at peace as I could imagine, and I'm not seeking god or anything else to fill a role in my life that I feel is missing.

As for the purpose of life, I think that purpose always depends heavily on context. If you mean the purpose of life as a phenomenon on this planet, then I'm not sure that it necessarily has to have a purpose any more than rocks and trees should have to have a purpose. If I create a clip to hold a piece of paper on my fridge then that is its purpose, but it seems to me that that purpose is dependent on my perspective as the agent that intentionally created it for that purpose. Things that were not created intentionally do not necessarily have a purpose. Imagine I throw a rock into a pond and a little sphere of water subsequently appears in the splash. Does this accidental, transient blob necessarily have a purpose? Probably not, at least not in the sense I imagine you use the word purpose. Intelligent beings like us can see purpose due to context sometimes though. For example, a random lightning strike sparks a forest fire. We could say that the forest fire's purpose is that it has some role in the cycle of life in the forest, and the carbon cycle etc. But that purpose would be a purpose strictly within that context. Similarly, if you mean the purpose of a human life, I would give a similar answer. It doesn't seem to me that we necessarily have a innate purpose or role that were were intentionally placed here to fill, but we could certainly see purpose in the roles we come to fill. As I go through my life, I create values like being good to other people, and trying to contribute to society, and caring for the environment etc. I think these are like the purpose we might see in the forest fire. To me the most useful way of thinking about purpose is that purpose is something we create. Purpose is a product of intelligent cognition.

ALEXBP, I'll try to read some of what you have mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions.

Earth beneath your feet took power to come into being. The whole Universe did. This is indisputable! That's God.
Razeontherock, I certainly agree with you there, but I must admit that it doesn't seem like much of an explanation to me. It seems reasonable to assume that the universe was created by some process, but I don't feel like giving that something a name moves us any farther ahead than simply calling it "something". It's like explaining to a woman that the reason she became pregnant was that she concieved; it's not really an explanation at all, just a different word for the same thing. But I suspect that when people use the word god, they mean more than just a rebranding of a vague "something" that created the universe, or another name for the laws of physics or something.

How about you, what do you believe?
Well, that's a pretty general question. If you'd care to be more specific I'll gladly fill you in, but let me see if I can give you an overview. I believe that the universe came into existence around 13 to 14 billion years ago. I have no idea how it started existing, or what came before it. I'm quite comfortable not knowing that, as I don't really think it's something we can easily know, since we don't have acccess to evidence outside our universe. Because of this total lack of evidence, I tend to reject almost claim anyone has to knowing what created the universe. I think that life on earth began about 4.5 billion years ago and through the mechanism of natural selection evolved into the vast array of amazing creatures we find around us today. Of course, that includes us, some descendents of other primates, sharing a common ancestor with other modern apes. I think that our minds are patterns of electrochemical signals that are passed around between the neurons in our brains; essentially our minds are software that run on the hardware of our brains. I believe that things like meaning, purpose and values like good and bad are ideas that we humans create. I believe that when we die, the electrochemical pattern in our brains stops operating and so all the information contained within it is lost, but of course much of our influence, ideas, memes, etc. continues on in the world in the minds of other people. I often feel an incredible feeling of awe and wonder when I think about things like the vastness of space, the wonders of the natural world, the things that mankind has built, the incredible mechanisms and abilities of the human brain, the way life replicates itself, DNA, relativity, quantum mechanics: the incredible things that mankind has discovered by investigation, clever experiments and reasoning.

Well, that should be pretty fertile ground for discussion. I appreciate the comments I've recieved from everyone! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Razeontherock, I certainly agree with you there, but I must admit that it doesn't seem like much of an explanation to me. It seems reasonable to assume that the universe was created by some process, but I don't feel like giving that something a name moves us any farther ahead than simply calling it "something". I suspect that when people use the word god, they mean more than just a rebranding of a vague "something" that created the universe, or another name for the laws of physics or something.

So you DO understand! This is why I start from this point: what people (usually) refer to when they use the word god contains all sorts of fabricated nonsense. I think you'd do much better to continue thinking of Him as "something," being VERY realistic about the fact it is NOT an explanation for anything at all! There are still just as many processes to discover; those just never tell us why, that's all. ;)

Upvote 0

Foundstone

Jul 17, 2010
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
So you DO understand! This is why I start from this point: what people (usually) refer to when they use the word god contains all sorts of fabricated nonsense. I think you'd do much better to continue thinking of Him as "something," being VERY realistic about the fact it is NOT an explanation for anything at all!
Alright, wonderful. We're on the same page there. So I guess my next question is, since the concept of god is obviously more meaningful to you than the simple renaming of other concepts, what DO you mean by god. Is this concept something you can explain to me, or is it simply a feeling that I would have to have. I often suspect that the feeling of awe and wonder and connectedness that I often feel when I think about the big philosophical concepts of life and the universe could be the same feeling that other people call god, or take as evidence of god. In that case, there's no sense in pretending we believe different things, we just have different names for the same thing. But this feeling that I sometimes have doesn't quite seem like the christian god. It's exactly like you said razeontherock, it seems like god is just a way to take ideas and concepts that are already amazing and awe-inspiring and adding unnecessary metaphysical baggage by anthropomorphising them, or inventing stories to accompany them. You see, on some level I suspect that in most ways I have very much the same concepts and beliefs that many of you do, but there also seem to be enough important differences that I hesitate to identify myself as a christian, and I suspect that my beliefs as I stated them above are not enough in line with christian thought that you would call me one either. But I think that's exactly what makes this discussion interesting.

Foundstone, what would persuade you to become a Christian?
That's exactly the right question I think. I don't think I could tell you though. First you'd have to tell me what it means to be a christian. How would my beliefs about the world and reality have to change in order for me to be a christian? Why should I be interested in being a christian anyway? I imagine that the things that would persuade me to become a christian are the same things that persuaded you to become one; I think our brains are similar enough that they should be susceptible to the same feelings and reasoning. You see, if there's something you know that I don't, and because of this my world view is different from yours in important ways, then I think it's very important for me to try to understand your world view so that I can ensure I'm not "missing out on reality" as you put it in a earlier post, just because of my ignorance.

Thanks!

Upvote 0