✟954.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I'm not doing well. In fact I don't even know if it's a good idea to ask such questions on a forum because you get so many different
answers/views from different people. But at the same time I feel a strong need to talk to someone about this and get some input.

I'll try to make this short. Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

He said that this is a warning to christians. He made it look like this is about salvation and that unless you "endure" you're not getting saved!!!!!!

This totally scared me.

Then I read the rest of Matthew 10 and felt even worse.

There are simply SO many statements from Jesus in verses 33-39 which sound so harsh and scary. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I don't know how other christians react to such verses, but I am TOTALLY disturbed and scared by them.

I also cannot make such statements from Jesus fit to other statements which sound totally different.

How, for example, does Jesus saying he will not cast anyone out who comes to him fit together with Jesus saying that if you love your parents more

than him you're not worthy of him?

This stuff simply sounds so harsh.

Then how shall I know if I am "worthy" of Jesus?!?!?

What if Jesus, if He was here on earth, would say to me: Sorry, you're not worthy of me. You're not picking up your cross, you're not dedicated enough,

you're not willing to really suffer for me!?

When I get such thoughts it totally drags me down and scares me and makes me feel totally separated from God.

And this happens ALL THE TIME whenever I read a verse in the bible which sounds scary or which puts pressure on me.

I don't know how to deal with this anymore. :(

Have you ever heard that a christian is scared of reading in the bible because of all the scary verses?! This is simply crazy.

I have made this experience over the years SO many times. I read in the bible, come across scary verses, then I instantly feel totally miserable

and distanced from God.

Because of this I really don't even dare anymore to read in the bible.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (-> is this about salvation?
does this mean if you're held at gunpoint by a terrorist and then you're too afraid to say you're a christian then you'll lose your salvation
and God is done with you?!?!?)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (what does this mean? does this mean that Jesus
wants people to get into conflict over faith issues?)

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(what does this mean? does this mean that if you're a christian and your parents are not that you should stop obeying them if they somehow hinder
your christian activities, like for example going to church or meeting with other christians??!)

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (what does take up your cross even mean? how shall a person
know if she is taking up her cross "enough"? and what does it even mean when you're "not worthy"? is this about salvation??!?!)

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (what does this mean? to me it sounds like pressure.
when I read this i feel a lot of pressure. how shall I know if I fulfill these requirements?!)

ilikecatsalot

Sep 13, 2023
Baden Wurttemberg
✟954.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Christian faith is not for the weak of heart. Or I should say it is very challenging for the waffling spirit.

There is a lot of pressure... but as they say... pressure makes diamonds.

This doesn't really help me AT ALL!!!! What if the pressure is simply too much? I am talking about real mental suffering on a continual basis.

I cannot believe that this is how it's supposed to be.

I don't want to be motivated by fear and live in fear all the time. This stuff totally drains a person of all strength.

This is a very serious issue!!!!!!!!

To the people who reply: If you cannot identify with these struggles then better not reply cause then it won't be very helpful.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
This doesn't really help me AT ALL!!!! What if the pressure is simply too much? I am talking about real mental suffering on a continual basis.

I cannot believe that this is how it's supposed to be.

I don't want to be motivated by fear and live in fear all the time. This stuff totally drains a person of all strength.

This is a very serious issue!!!!!!!!

To the people who reply: If you cannot identify with these struggles then better not reply cause then it won't be very helpful.
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Fear ain't so bad.

I am taking this seriously. Read Revelation 21 and 22 to see what awaits those who endure.

Also try reading Revelation 2 and 3 and see If you identify strongly with one of the Churches mentioned. They each were give specific instructions on how to endure to the end. God places great responsibility on us, but also provides the support we need as well.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I'm not doing well. In fact I don't even know if it's a good idea to ask such questions on a forum because you get so many different
answers/views from different people. But at the same time I feel a strong need to talk to someone about this and get some input.

I'll try to make this short. Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

He said that this is a warning to christians. He made it look like this is about salvation and that unless you "endure" you're not getting saved!!!!!!

This totally scared me.

There are simply SO many statements from Jesus in verses 33-39 which sound so harsh and scary. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I don't know how other christians react to such verses, but I am TOTALLY disturbed and scared by them.

I also cannot make such statements from Jesus fit to other statements which sound totally different.

How, for example, does Jesus saying he will not cast anyone out who comes to him fit together with Jesus saying that if you love your parents more

What if Jesus, if He was here on earth, would say to me: Sorry, you're not worthy of me. You're not picking up your cross, you're not dedicated enough,

When I get such thoughts it totally drags me down and scares me and makes me feel totally separated from God.

And this happens ALL THE TIME whenever I read a verse in the bible which sounds scary or which puts pressure on me.

Have you ever heard that a christian is scared of reading in the bible because of all the scary verses?! This is simply crazy.

I have made this experience over the years SO many times. I read in the bible, come across scary verses, then I instantly feel totally miserable

and distanced from God.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (-> is this about salvation?
does this mean if you're held at gunpoint by a terrorist and then you're too afraid to say you're a christian then you'll lose your salvation

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (what does this mean? does this mean that Jesus

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(what does this mean? does this mean that if you're a christian and your parents are not that you should stop obeying them if they somehow hinder
your christian activities, like for example going to church or meeting with other christians??!)

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (what does take up your cross even mean? how shall a person
know if she is taking up her cross "enough"? and what does it even mean when you're "not worthy"? is this about salvation??!?!)

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (what does this mean? to me it sounds like pressure.
when I read this i feel a lot of pressure. how shall I know if I fulfill these requirements?!)

It seems someone is actually reading the bible. Most people don't. The new testament is filled with warnings against falling away through sin or apostasy. Most people choose to read only the sermon on the mount or all of the nice things written in the bible. But as it says:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The "two edged sword" cuts one way to bless, the other way to curse. Remember all of those things next time someone gives you the glad hand and says "are you saved"? Ask what makes them so sure they're saved. And when they answer, know that they are wrong.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

This totally scared me.

and distanced from God.

Too many questions. Which question here is the one that you think is the most concerning?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus gave us two commandments which all of His teachings revolve around. Put the will of God ahead of the will of man which is love all as self. Man has been selfish and self centered since the Garden. God continually asks we reverse that. Those who do God's will over the will of man is saved (saved because we are no longer backwards) and worthy of the Kingdom, which is both a place and a form of government by God, not man, where all the woes we see in the world no longer exist as man has had control of fellow man taken away from us. The Kingdom was Jesus' only Gospel (good news) but man keeps building religious and secular kingdoms of their own. They are the scary ones.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is a little confusing to some, but one thing that has to be considered is that Jesus had not died on the cross at that time, and those He was speaking with were Jews who Jesus commanded to go not until the gentiles, Matthew 10:5 KJV.

The message was to the Jews under the Mosiac Law at that time, and it was not until His death that His teachings applied to us but in a different way through the Holy Spirit. At the time of Matthew 10, the Holy Spirit had not yet been given, John 7:39 KJV, which is very important for our salvation and our ability to operate in His power, because it is the Spirit of God that helps with our infirmities, and when we believe on Christ Jesus, we receive the Spirit of Power, Love and sound mind, 2 Timothy 1:7 KJV. God does not leave us alone. He Himself helps us to maintain our walk.

Matthew 10:33-39 KJV,

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

When we believe on Christ we have in fact not denied Him.

However, Jesus taught this to the Jews who would later after His death oppose the gospel, and persecute His disciples and the Apostles, Acts 14:2-7 KJV, Acts 23:12-14 KJV.

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

There will be those who will oppose the gospel and will persecute God’s people. Jesus will make the separation in the end. We are to stand in our belief in Christ.

This has been prophesied in many places in the Bible. Read Micah 7:5-6 KJV. We are in the end times, and we will see this more and more. Christian are being persecute everywhere because many oppose the gospel.

Jesus is not saying not to love your mother and father. This is what he is saying: If you were brought up by your mother or father to believe In any way that opposes the gospel, such as practicing idolatry, atheist belief, another type of religion the opposes Christ, then we are to not participate. If our parents chooses to disown us because we refuse to believe as they do, then we accept their condemnation, but we still love them as our parents. We just don’t allow them to convince us to not believe in Jesus.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Basically we accept how we might be treated because we love Jesus. In this situation, God does not leave us. By His Spirit, we are strengthened.

Your fear might be due to not understanding the blessings we receive through the gospel. Sometimes we have to get with the Holy Spirit alone, through prayer and study, Who will help us understand Christ’s love for us. God Who saved us in Christ Jesus can only see love in us because, when we believe on Christ, He see His Son in us Who He loves.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

This totally scared me.

and distanced from God.

Well not really sure of this persons point to his sermon. But the part in Matthew addressing enduring to the end is not about Eternal Life salvation, but a physical salvation of believers.

When a person believes in Jesus they immediately cross over from death to life and become a permanent born again child of God. There is no enduring to the end required to become or stay a permanent born again child of God. Once a born again child of God, the person remains a born again child of God, even if they walk away from their belief.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I can understand being scared and not thinking you're doing enough or unworthy when the scripture seems to demand a lot that you're not sure about doing, or that you feel you couldn't do under certain circumstances, or to a certain extent.

If you read those scriptures together, instead of overthinking the grammar of each individual sentence, it may seem a lot less overwhelming. In summary, Jesus is saying that the world (in the main) and including those we love, may not agree with, approve or support of our love for Jesus and we cannot allow them to hold us back from what we are called to do to be saved.

Some people genuinely do 'love' us, like our parents, but they do not always lead a righteous life and may resent their children for finding God, or not understand it or not agree with it etc. This will be the same for our friends and strangers. We can't expect to be a Christian in an unholy world and live a peaceful life at all times. The world is sinful and at odds with Jesus so our road is not easy and Jesus loves us enough to not lie about that so we know what we're facing and what it all means for us in the end.

If you have given your life to God, then there is no fear. God never promised a peaceful, easy life, where everyone agrees with what we say or do and we never get challenged, verbally or physically, but that is true for all humans, not just Christians.

It seems as though you are afraid of what Jesus is saying to expect of the world as well as what He says about not giving into the ways of the world.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for soon. God bless.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm not doing well.
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

I don't know whether he explained it badly or if you misunderstood.
But in Matthew 10 Jesus is sending his disciples out to cast out demons, heal the sick etc etc. He says that he is sending them out as sheep among wolves, that people would hate them because of Jesus, that even family members would turn on each other and have them put to death - but the disciples would be saved if they endured - held firm - to the end.
This doesn't mean salvation from sin. Both Jesus, and his disciples, taught that whoever believed in Jesus would have eternal life - which means they would be saved from eternal death and eternity without God. Jesus also said that no one could snatch his sheep from his hand. ALL who believed are saved.
Jesus is still talking about people who will hate, and oppose, the 12 disciples because of him. People would hate the 12, and us, because they hated Jesus - "no man is greater than his teacher" and "if they call the head of the house 'Beelzebub' how much more the members of the household?"
Jesus did not come, or plan, to deliberately cause disunity in a family - but it might happen that some of our families/relatives hate Jesus and we suffer mild/moderate persecution because of that.
Yes, it is scary. Some people - e.g Muslims - who have become Christians have even been killed for their new faith. But, as Jesus says, awful though persecution is, men can only kill our bodies. They can't kill our souls, and if we believe and trust in Jesus, we belong to him and will be with him forever. Those who oppose/hate Jesus, however, will one day find that their bodies have died - and their souls will too.

If we love our parents, family, friends, job or anything more than Jesus - i.e, if we do what our parents, boss etc wants even though it is not what Jesus wants - it is like making an idol of them. The first commandment is "you shall have no other god before me", and Jesus told us to seek first the kingdom of God.
He may be disappointed with us, it doesn't mean we are no longer saved and he has rejected us.

No one is worthy to be loved, or saved, by Jesus. He will never say, "you seem to have done the right number of good things and proved yourself - I can now love you and give you eternal life".
Jesus died for sinners. If we don't believe we are sinners in God's eyes, we won't believe that we need a Saviour and will never ask Jesus to save us. Remember, Jesus said that it is not those who are well who need a doctor, but the sick. I doubt you would ever say to a doctor "I'm not worthy of a visit from you; I'm bleeding/being sick/in great pain and can't get up to welcome you". If you did, he would probably say "well that's why you need me."

No.
Do you think the 12 were "worthy of him"? The ones who saw his miracles, but still doubted; saw his humility, but still argued about which of them was the greatest; vowed never to leave him but denied and betrayed him?
Yet what did Jesus do? He continued to teach them, reassured them, forgave and restored them (apart from Judas).
Peter called down curses upon himself and others as he denied Jesus. But after the resurrection, Jesus said to Mary "go and tell the disciples - and Peter .....". Then he met Peter on the sea shore and gave his work to do (John 21).
Sorry to hear that, but that is just your thoughts/fears taking - not God.

To be continued tomorrow (hopefully.)

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For what it's worth- the most frequent command in the Bible is "do not be afraid". God is very concerned about our fears.

Upvote 0

BrendanG

Jun 22, 2022
Kansas
✟16,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen other comments that are good, but I'll make my own too.

I don't have any special authority to teach, but these things make sense to me:

1. God can't expect us to do something which we can't do. But he does expect us to do everything good that we can do.

2. God is omnibenevolent. So, it would make sense that he wants to maximize the good. If someone has done wrong, but sincerely repents, does it accomplish anything to punish him severely? I think not. God shows mercy when genuine repentance makes full justice pointless.

Example: Suppose somebody is at fault in a car accident and damaged your property. Before you even know what happened, he apologizes and pays you in full for the damages, and then calls the police to tell them what happened. Suppose the law says that because the accident happened because he made a traffic violation, he needs a fine and he needs to go to prison. Would it make sense to punish him in that case, when he has already done everything in his power to correct for his mistake? I think not. I think Christian justice/mercy is the same. Full justice is only for those people who don't want to acknowledge their faults.

I think the story of the prodigal son is also useful. I do not think Jesus refuses to forgive any sin which you genuinely repent of. It's only lack of repentance (insisting that your way is right when it isn't) that leads to damnation.

You aim to do right, but mess up because being perfect is not within your strength. I think God sees what you're aiming at more than he sees the results.

I have heard stories from ancient saints/monks, however, that make it clear that God gets really [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed when people take mercy for granted. You can't sin on purpose in faith that you'll be forgiven. In this case, you're not truly aiming at the best, and you aren't truly repenting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Would it make sense to punish him in that case, when he has already done everything in his power to correct for his mistake? I think not.
Should not the same apply to those who have by law paid their debt to society? Why should people be allowed to hound, oppress and persecute them after they did what was required to pay that debt? Should those who hound them also be charged with an offense?

Upvote 0

BrendanG

Jun 22, 2022
Kansas
✟16,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should not the same apply to those who have by law paid their debt to society? Why should people be allowed to hound, oppress and persecute them after they did what was required to pay that debt? Should those who hound them also be charged with an offense?
I don't know what you're referring to in real life. I'd agree that it sounds unjust. But I can't really change what happens in the world, so I'm not going to worry about it so much. I was just saying what I imagine perfect justice/mercy looks like.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant serves as an open stardard for the assessment of one's faith. Satan and his angels are trying hard to push you below the salvation mark.

Isaiah 14:17
the man who made the world a wilderness, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?

Satan made this world a wilderness for you, he will not let go whoever being captive. While the Covenant is a pre-defined open standard. Natural you shall endure especially in such a warped and crooked generation as in today's world.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

This totally scared me.

and distanced from God.

It is said that reading the Bible is like looking into a mirror. It is a good thing to look in a mirror every day, is it not? Wash the face, comb the hair so to speak?

Reading the word scares you. That's the Holy Spirit letting you know that you have areas in your life that you need to clean up. Flow with this Spirit and do what He says and things will get better for you.

Yeah, if you read a passage in the word and see yourself in it in some aspect of your life and that scares you, then you need to be running to the Lord and confessing your sins and asking forgiveness. For the grace to be able to overcome these worldly things and to grow in Christ.

It sounds like you are given the mind of Christ when you read the word and you don't feel worthy instantly you said. Because you know of your favorite worldly sins that you enjoy. So what happens is when you sin, and everyone has a conscience and knows when they do sin, that they are making the choice to do this sin, then in actuality you can be said to be choosing the worldly love of your parents more so than God. SO in effect, you turn away from God to go sin and become rebellious to God.

No one can snatch us from the hand of our Lord this is true...but what happens when we walk away in rebellion on our own accord and free will? Brother, you are right to be scared. In that day He will say to many, I didn't know you...because the guy was chasing sinful fun rather than the Lord alone.

The only solution to this predicament is to continue reading the word and praying for guidance and endurance and forgiveness, grace, and relationship with Him. How to have a relationship with the Lord? Talk His ear off, all the time! When you are right with the Lord and have nothing unconfessed or unforgiven there will come a supernatural peace on you and you can feel this peace and know...

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a really thoughtful and interesting thread.

A great learning opportunity for new Christians like me and I thank the op for raising it.

I too read with fear, every passage was a question to me…..”am I really saved?” But that was from a perspective of a lack of knowledge and therefore lack of understanding because my relationship was new/fragmented. I have recently read all of the New Testament, some areas did make me tremble, some made me cry in disappointment with myself and others gave me courage.

I am now reading it over again, but I now have more knowledge, a different perspective and better understanding, my relationship with God is much stronger. This time around the fear and trepidation is significantly less but I’ve also done a life 180, I‘m still in sin because I’m not pure or holy like God, I’ll always be filthy rags to his beautiful white robes, but I’ve dropped all and everything that lead me to temptation, that lead me to active and willing sin and I mean everything!

I am a new creature, even someone swearing makes me wince (I used to swear a lot) how can I swear when the same lips are in prayer to God? The Holy Spirit convicts me before every action and word, I’m walking with God, hearing his name in vain gets my heckles up, on TV, in the street….before I never gave it a second thought.

God when I wake up, God when I take my dogs for a walk, God during my working day, God when I go to bed…..how? Prayer, action, Bible?

First we must accept we have done wrong and that brings the potential for punishment (note potential, Jesus continually WARNS us of consequence) We need to confess our sins, change our life, remove earthly desires (cars, money, houses, vanity, sexual immorality, greed, anger, malice……etc etc) Our cross is to work daily to remove this from our fleshly wants/desires and walk with Jesus every single day in spirit.

In Jesus we have the absolute and categoric polar opposites of our flesh, do what he desires to glorify God every day and if you slip through habit or weakness then comeback to him and confess. Fear of God is not a bad thing, he loves his children but you need to understand that there are boundaries and behaviours that are opposed to God so the Holy Spirit will remind you of any hidden sin or behaviours that need to change.

Change everything you can to be like Jesus, no stone left unturned and the fear will subside imo as you start to gain understanding, wisdom and love through the Holy Spirit. So please do not give up through fear, knuckle down and ask God to provide you with his armour and comfort……continue to read, it’s his voice.

• Love
Reactions: MegChristian
Upvote 0