What do you believe (creation/evolution)?

Which do you believe is the most accurate statement?

• God does not exist; our origins are natural.

• There is no evidence that God exists; our origins are, to all appearances, natural.

• God created the universe and its laws, but was not otherwise involved in our creation

• God created the first life form, and everything else evolved from that.

• God created the first life, guided evolution, and specially created us.

• God created the first life, guided evolution, and specially created us.

• God specially created each kind.

• God specially created each kind, and there was a global flood besides.

• I don't know / No opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Both of them are completely off the wall?
They should be -- look what they're being compared to.
AV when are you going to bow to reason and make your God proud of you?
I'll bow to reason when I go carnal; and unlike some children who have to live up to the standards their parents put on their "good genes" to achieve, I don't have to 'make God proud of me' -- He loves me as I am.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't "believe" any of these. I accept evolution as this is what the evidence leads us to.

Then you also believe it.

In any case, I wrote the poll options as statements of facts and asked which of these statements of fact you believe is the most accurate. I had intended the wording to make everyone comfortable; those who say they "believe" have that in the poll option, those who claim to "know" have that in the answers.

If you like we can have a contest about who is more certain of their answer and how that makes them more right (or not).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It occurs to me that one of my options applies both to people who believe in God but only claim faith and not evidence, and to atheists. Oh well.
Don't worry about it -- :)

Upvote 0

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then you also believe it.

Indeed, according to most definitions believe is to: be convinced of something; to accept a claim; to hold something as true. It's popular among some evolutionists though to say "I don't believe, I accept", which makes me facepalm every time.

In any case, I wrote the poll options as statements of facts and asked which of these statements of fact you believe is the most accurate. I had intended the wording to make everyone comfortable; those who say they "believe" have that in the poll option, those who claim to "know" have that in the answers.

If you like we can have a contest about who is more certain of their answer and how that makes them more right (or not).

I think your poll was finely worded. Of course people will always complain no matter how a poll is phrased.

Peter :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, according to most definitions believe is to: be convinced of something; to accept a claim; to hold something as true. It's popular among some evolutionists though to say "I don't believe, I accept", which makes me facepalm every time.

I think the reason for this is that creationists like to claim "belief" in God or creationism is the same as "belief" in evolution. If we say we "accept" evolution, that differentiates the differences better.

Upvote 0

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the reason for this is that creationists like to claim "belief" in God or creationism is the same as "belief" in evolution. If we say we "accept" evolution, that differentiates the differences better.

It ignores the similarities as well. We might have come to believe based on very different circumstances, but we are all convinced that we're right about something, and that's what the word "belief" accurately denotes.

It bothers me when people redefine words due to agendas, because it tends to make communication needlessly more difficult and will likely end up creating confusion. I've seen it plenty among fanatics on the internet to have developed a distaste for it, and it doesn't appeal to me more just because "my" side starts doing it.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It bothers me when people redefine words due to agendas, because it tends to make communication needlessly more difficult and will likely end up creating confusion. I've seen it plenty among fanatics on the internet to have developed a distaste for it, and it doesn't appeal to me more just because "my" side starts doing it.

You're probably right, but it gets tiring to constantly deal with "we both believe so its the same" over and over, even if it is a deliberate tactic.

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2011
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting poll. Either one believes the Word of God, or he/she doesn't. We walk by faith and not by sight. I cannot fathom anyone calling him/herself a Christian and not believing God's Word. His Word is revelatory and as such, more is revealed as we move further into the faith. By not accepting basic tenets of the faith, the walk is circular and to me, irrelevant. Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh. To reject the Word, is to reject Him.

Upvote 0

wensdee

Jan 24, 2011
✟595.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Interesting poll. Either one believes the Word of God, or he/she doesn't. We walk by faith and not by sight. I cannot fathom anyone calling him/herself a Christian and not believing God's Word. His Word is revelatory and as such, more is revealed as we move further into the faith. By not accepting basic tenets of the faith, the walk is circular and to me, irrelevant. Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh. To reject the Word, is to reject Him.
Who told you that?

Upvote 0