What did Jesus believe about Genesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
I don't don't think it should be included. Enoch is sort of the opposite of Genesis. The latter is primarily theological and touches on cosmology only incidentally. The former is primarily cosmological and touches on theology only incidentally. The lack of a solid line between the two (theology and cosmology) is indicative of the lack of understanding of any such line. However, I think it is enough to say that it is good context for Scripture, but not Scripture, itself.
Oh I don't think it should be included, just that it would be fun if it was :D

gluadys said:
Well, strictly speaking, the Christian OT canon was not fully set until the Reformation. It was the Protestant questioning of the apocrypha which led to the affirmation of their scriptural authority by the Council of Trent.

I don't think there is any official recognition of their status earlier than that, so it is difficult to determine whether citations from the apocrypha amount to citations from scripture.
No, but it is one of the main arguments used by the RCC in favour of their status. But on that basis Christians in a thousand years time could argue that Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Simpsons and Snoopy are scripture because Christians today quote them. (OK that is pushing it but you get the idea.)

I think the testimony, or rather lack of it, in the NT along with the evidence from Judaism makes it pretty clear the acceptance of the apocrypha was a mistake.

Of course, non-Protestants also affirm that they have always been accounted part of scripture in the church, Jerome notwithstanding. But that leaves us with the problem of verifying oral tradition.
Oral?

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Assyrian said:
No, but it is one of the main arguments used by the RCC in favour of their status. But on that basis Christians in a thousand years time could argue that Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Simpsons and Snoopy are scripture because Christians today quote them. (OK that is pushing it but you get the idea.)

That wouldn't apply. None of them existed prior to the church itself. The Septuagint scriptures did.

I think the testimony, or rather lack of it, in the NT along with the evidence from Judaism makes it pretty clear the acceptance of the apocrypha was a mistake.

Whether it was a mistake or not is beside the point. Or at least belongs in a different discussion.

The question here is whether or not the church, prior to the Reformation, and possibly as early as the first Pentecost, recognized the apocryphal writings in the Septuagint as scripture. The non-Protestant position is that they have always had the endorsement of the church as an integral part of the OT canon.

Yes. In Roman Catholicism, the oral tradition of the church is accorded the same authority as the sacred written canon. I believe the same applies in Eastern Orthodox traditions.

So if there is no official statement or document regarding the status of the deutero-canonical books prior to the Council of Trent, the tradition that they are holy writ must be an oral one. After all, the Council of Trent believed it was defending the historic position of the church, not creating a new one.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Assyrian said:
I don't think we have any examples of early Jewish Christians quoting from the apocrypha (Except for Jude, personally I think it would be cool to have he book of Enoch in our canon).
Some books, like the Shepherd of Hermas, were considered for acceptance into the canon at several different times. It was eventually not chosen for this honor (because it was written by a bishop in the second century, as opposed to one of the Apostles or their immediate followers) but the early church fathers still considered it a divinely inspired and edifying book.

See here. Not to say that I agree with everything on this page, but it mentions the book's date and why it was excluded from the canon.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Scholar in training said:
Some books, like the Shepherd of Hermas, were considered for acceptance into the canon at several different times. It was eventually not chosen for this honor (because it was written by a bishop in the second century, as opposed to one of the Apostles or their immediate followers) but the early church fathers still considered it a divinely inspired and edifying book.

See here. Not to say that I agree with everything on this page, but it mentions the book's date and why it was excluded from the canon.

Shepherd of Hermas is a Christian writing. It was considered for inclusion in the NT. So far we have been discussing the canon of the OT and to what extent books like Tobit and Wisdom from the Septuagint were regarded as scripture by the early church.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
gluadys said:
Shepherd of Hermas is a Christian writing. It was considered for inclusion in the NT. So far we have been discussing the canon of the OT and to what extent books like Tobit and Wisdom from the Septuagint were regarded as scripture by the early church.
My apologies, then.

While the Shepherd of Hermas is indeed a Christian and not a Jewish work, I believe it's worth mentioning; although it was not formally accepted into the canon, there is no doubt that it was widely regarded by the early Church fathers as inspired and beneficial for Christians to read. Could not the same view have been applied to the Jewish intertestamental books? What I am saying is that whether or not apocryphal books were in the canon, they may still have been seen as authoritative, or at least useful.

That is exactly what I believe the early Church saw them as. An example I should have mentioned in my response to Assyrian's post: if the Apostle John is considered an early Jewish Christian, then the many allusions he made in his Gospel to Sirach and Wisdom would seem to speak clearly about the use of those two books in the early Church.

Upvote 0

bullietdodger

Jan 17, 2006
✟15,209.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, so in my devotions I read this this morning.

But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and teh two will become on flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." - MK 10:6-9

You many be thinking, "What does this have to do with this discussion? Especially since the context is on divorce." Here is how it fits. Jesus is quoting Genesis 1:27; 2:24.

Lest we forget, Jesus is God, therefore Jesus would believe the Genesis account, because He, along with the Father and Holy Spirit created as recorded in Genesis. Jesus was a part of inspiring Moses to write the Genesis account, therefore, Genesis is true and literal. Tada!!!

If you feel like arguing this point, don't waste your time. I will not respond. To often to many people dance around with "clever" arguements which are contrary to scripture. I have presented the truth, either you accept it or not (I think the truth has been communicated several times over by other such as myself).

It is my prayer that if you currently do not believe God's Word, that you will listen to the Holy Spirit and know the truth.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
bullietdodger said:
It is my prayer that if you currently do not believe God's Word, that you will listen to the Holy Spirit and know the truth.

A very typical characteristic of Young Earth Creationists is that they confuse their personal, very naïve and inaccurate interpretation of the Bible with that which God has actually said :D . Another very typical characteristic of Young Earth Creationists is that they confuse some miscellaneous spirit with the Holy Spirit :eek: .

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
bullietdodger said:
Lest we forget, Jesus is God, therefore Jesus would believe the Genesis account, because He, along with the Father and Holy Spirit created as recorded in Genesis. Jesus was a part of inspiring Moses to write the Genesis account, therefore, Genesis is true and literal. Tada!!!

Why do YECists persist in endorsing points that are not in dispute as proof of their position? No one is questioning that Jesus believed Genesis. The question is whether he believed it was history. A different point entirely.

We are in the Origins Theology section, right? Why do you even raise the issue of unbelief in a forum to which only believers are invited to post? (except for the new Open threads. And this is not one of them.)

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:
That wouldn't apply. None of them existed prior to the church itself. The Septuagint scriptures did.
How about Epimenides? ;)

Whether it was a mistake or not is beside the point. Or at least belongs in a different discussion.

The question here is whether or not the church, prior to the Reformation, and possibly as early as the first Pentecost, recognized the apocryphal writings in the Septuagint as scripture. The non-Protestant position is that they have always had the endorsement of the church as an integral part of the OT canon.
I don't think there is any evidence the church recognised the apocrypha while its leadership was still Jewish Christians. You only begin to get quotations from the apocrypha from Gentile Christian writers, and it is later still that these quotations are used as evidence that the apocrypha were considered as scripture.

Yes. In Roman Catholicism, the oral tradition of the church is accorded the same authority as the sacred written canon. I believe the same applies in Eastern Orthodox traditions.

So if there is no official statement or document regarding the status of the deutero-canonical books prior to the Council of Trent, the tradition that they are holy writ must be an oral one. After all, the Council of Trent believed it was defending the historic position of the church, not creating a new one.
While the Catholic Church does use oral tradition to support it's stranger (read least scriptural, but that is a whole other discussion) doctrines, they certainly do not have the support of Jesus Christ for placing tradition on an equal footing to scripture. He really seemed not to like the idea. But in any case, I am not aware of oral tradition being used as an argument for the apocrypha, they rely much more heavily on patristic support, the authority of the church fathers as teachers, and with it the claim that the Church itself has the authority to decide the canon of scripture.

Scholar in training said:
An example I should have mentioned in my response to Assyrian's post: if the Apostle John is considered an early Jewish Christian, then the many allusions he made in his Gospel to Sirach and Wisdom would seem to speak clearly about the use of those two books in the early Church.
The theological thought of the NT cannot be separated from the theological developments of the previous few centuries, we see this very clearly in the pharisaic influence on ideas like the resurrection and in apocalyptic writings. I do not know what specific allusions you are talking about in John's gospel, but there is a big difference between sharing a common theological language or framework, and actually quoting the apocrypha as scripture.

However there are direct quotations from, I think, most of the OT books, which do treat the books as authoritative, and I don't know of any quotations from the apocrypha. That plus the Jewish canon of scripture which we have from the end of the first century, seems to give us a pretty clear view of which books Jesus and the apostles considered scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bullietdodger said:
willtor said:
You still haven't addressed whether he treated the account figuratively.
He does, he assumes the Genesis account is a record, for which I think we can read literal historical record.

Hi bullietdodger

Of course Jesus accepted Genesis as the inspired and authoritative word of God. He, along with his Father and the Holy Spirit, did create the the world. Jesus Christ was behind the inspired writing of Genesis. I would agree that it was Moses who wrote it, though there are TEs who would question that part. But that should not make any difference to your argument because we agree that Christ inspired Genesis in the first place regardless of who the author was.

The big problem with your description is that you insert your conclusion into your description of Genesis. You call it a record and conclude that it was literal. That seems to be circular reasoning.

Jesus created the world and inspired Genesis whether it is a poetic description, a parable, an allegory or a literal history.

Assyrian

Reactions: Redneck Crow
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Assyrian said:
How about Epimenides? ;)

Relevance? :scratch:

I don't think there is any evidence the church recognised the apocrypha while its leadership was still Jewish Christians.

Any such evidence would have to be written, right? Doesn’t tell us what was being transmitted via oral teaching.

While the Catholic Church does use oral tradition to support it's stranger (read least scriptural, but that is a whole other discussion) doctrines, they certainly do not have the support of Jesus Christ for placing tradition on an equal footing to scripture.

Well, that’s arguable. I don’t know that Jesus argued against tradition per se. He argued against the tradition of the Pharisees which “made void the law”.

But in any case, I am not aware of oral tradition being used as an argument for the apocrypha, they rely much more heavily on patristic support, the authority of the church fathers as teachers, and with it the claim that the Church itself has the authority to decide the canon of scripture.

Yes, evidence of the attitudes of former generations can only be in what they put in writing. But what they put in writing was at some time transmitted only orally. So all such claims eventually go back to oral tradition.

And who other than the church would have the authority to decide the canon of scripture?

I do not know what specific allusions you are talking about in John's gospel, but there is a big difference between sharing a common theological language or framework, and actually quoting the apocrypha as scripture.

Could you describe how this big difference would be recognized? When Jude quotes Enoch, is he quoting him as scripture or as a non-scriptural but valuable source of spiritual wisdom? How do we know?

However there are direct quotations from, I think, most of the OT books, which do treat the books as authoritative, and I don't know of any quotations from the apocrypha. That plus the Jewish canon of scripture which we have from the end of the first century, seems to give us a pretty clear view of which books Jesus and the apostles considered scripture.

No, it gives us a pretty clear idea of what the rabbis of Jamnia considered scripture. And by the end of the first century they had reason to distinguish themselves from Jewish Christians.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
How about Epimenides?

Relevance?

Epimenides paradox see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimenides_paradox
it is quoted in Titus 1:12

The relevance is on several layers.
first is quoting non-canonical sources approvingly doesn't make them canonical. Any more than quoting Sirach or Enoch make them canonical. Which is the theme of the last page or two here.

second, is how old the quoted material is, the wiki say 600BCE.
this is probably the purpose of the statement originally as it was a response to:

third, but a little off topic is that this statement has no truth value, it is self referential and therefore undecidable. which proves that not everything in the scriptures is true *grin*....

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
rmwilliamsll said:
How about Epimenides?

Relevance?

Epimenides paradox see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimenides_paradox
it is quoted in Titus 1:12

The relevance is on several layers.
first is quoting non-canonical sources approvingly doesn't make them canonical. Any more than quoting Sirach or Enoch make them canonical. Which is the theme of the last page or two here.

Got it. But I think we can take it as given that citations from pagan sources would never have been considered canonical anyway.

Sirach is considered canonical by non-Protestant churches. That it appears in the Septuagint at all indicates that at some point some Jews considered it to be scripture, whatever their descendants decided to the contrary. No doubt this would include Jewish Christians.

As for Enoch, it is true that a citation alone does not make it scripture, but it also doesn't tell us what Jude and his readers thought about it. Did they consider it scripture?

All we know for certain is:

the Book of Enoch was highly regarded in Jewish and Christian circles of the time even if not as scripture. It may have been considered scripture by some, but we have no evidence of that.

the Book of Enoch never made it into the official canon of the OT in either Jewish or Christian circles.

What I don't know, and maybe you can help here, is to determine if it was ever proposed as a canonical work. Anything proposed as canonical must have been regarded as scripture by somebody.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Assyrian said:
The theological thought of the NT cannot be separated from the theological developments of the previous few centuries, we see this very clearly in the pharisaic influence on ideas like the resurrection and in apocalyptic writings. I do not know what specific allusions you are talking about in John's gospel, but there is a big difference between sharing a common theological language or framework, and actually quoting the apocrypha as scripture.

The Apocrypha is not always quoted verbatim, but then again neither is Proverbs (this book, like Sirach and Wisdom, had some references to the Wisdom of God). Yet, there are many allusions to Proverbs, Sirach, and Wisdom; the point of those allusions was to say that Jesus is God's Wisdom. Jesus would frequently act out the part of Wisdom: for instance, Wisdom's role in Proverbs calling out to people in the streets, no one listening, and Wisdom gathering up the simple as a result. Jesus ate with "sinners" and he was criticized for it by the Pharisees. For a list of parallel verses between John and Wisdom literature, see here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

You are in the Christians Only section; all of us here have heard and believed God's Word (who is, incidentally, Jesus, not the Bible). It just happens to be my belief that Christ is the foundation of our faith, not whether Genesis is cold hard natural fact or not.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:
Relevance? :scratch:
What rmwilliams said.
Any such evidence would have to be written, right? Doesn’t tell us what was being transmitted via oral teaching.
Such evidence is written in the pages of the NT. If we look at tradition, oral or otherwise, we are looking at a form of teaching we know from Jesus' own words can end up denying scripture itself. We are also looking at teaching that has come to us through a time when scripture warns us false teachings would arise in the church. So if we look at something supported by tradition but not by scripture, how can we tell if it is genuine or not? The only option is to stick to what the scripture teaches.

Well, that’s arguable. I don’t know that Jesus argued against tradition per se. He argued against the tradition of the Pharisees which "made void the law".
It also shows the unreliability of tradition, while upholding the reliability of scripture.

Yes, evidence of the attitudes of former generations can only be in what they put in writing. But what they put in writing was at some time transmitted only orally. So all such claims eventually go back to oral tradition.
Why should a quotation from say, Tobit, have an oral history behind it? A quotation from Tobit means the writer had access to the scroll of Tobit in a Christian library. It doesn't mean he thought Tobit was scripture, or even that there was a tradition of recognising Tobit as canonical.
And who other than the church would have the authority to decide the canon of scripture?
I Don't think any organisation has the authority to decide the canon. They can recognise, and list, which books have been have been recognised and held as authoritative by churches through the previous centuries. These are the books of the NT that have made the churches rather than the other way around. In a way this does rely on tradition, but it is a lot harder to slip in a whole book into the canon of recognised scripture in a church than to add in a new teaching or vary an old one.

But I don't think Gentile New Covenant churches are in a position to decide the canon of the Jewish Old Covenant scriptures. If the Jews got the OT canon wrong then it was up to Jesus and the apostles to correct that mistake. But there is no evidence that the NT writers recognised any canon other than the Jewish one we have from Jamina.

Could you describe how this big difference would be recognized? When Jude quotes Enoch, is he quoting him as scripture or as a non-scriptural but valuable source of spiritual wisdom? How do we know?
In one you can see the similarity in theology and metaphors between Christian writer and Jewish writer from the previous few centuries. This is very different from verses in book being quoted as though they were considered authoritative.

Jude raises all sorts of questions for us, when neither Jews nor Christian, apart from the Ethiopic church ever recognised the book of Enoch as inspired.

No, it gives us a pretty clear idea of what the rabbis of Jamnia considered scripture. And by the end of the first century they had reason to distinguish themselves from Jewish Christians.
I cannot imagine any Jewish rabbi abandoning books they regarded as the inspired word of God. The argument is probably anachronistic too when there is no evidence of Christian use of the apocrypha at this time, let alone Jewish Christian use.

gluadis to rmwilliamsII said:
Sirach is considered canonical by non-Protestant churches. That it appears in the Septuagint at all indicates that at some point some Jews considered it to be scripture, whatever their descendants decided to the contrary. No doubt this would include Jewish Christians.
This just brings us back to the question of what you mean by 'appears in the Septuagint'. I think you are reading fourth century Christian codices back into first century Hellenistic Judaism. You would have to show that first century Jews believed Sirach was part of the canon first.

As for Enoch, it is true that a citation alone does not make it scripture, but it also doesn't tell us what Jude and his readers thought about it. Did they consider it scripture?
It tells us Jude thought the prophecy was a genuine record of what Enoch said and that it came from the biblical Enoch, whether he thought the book of Enoch was scripture or not is another question. but as you say a citation alone does not make it scripture.

scholar in training said:
The Apocrypha is not always quoted verbatim, but then again neither is Proverbs (this book, like Sirach and Wisdom, had some references to the Wisdom of God). Yet, there are many allusions to Proverbs, Sirach, and Wisdom; the point of those allusions was to say that Jesus is God's Wisdom. Jesus would frequently act out the part of Wisdom: for instance, Wisdom's role in Proverbs calling out to people in the streets, no one listening, and Wisdom gathering up the simple as a result. Jesus ate with "sinners" and he was criticized for it by the Pharisees. For a list of parallel verses between John and Wisdom literature, see here.
I don't know, Romans 12:20 seems to be a quotation from Prov 25:21&22, probably from the LXX. But even if Proverbs wasn't quoted, other books from that part of the Hebrew canon were, the book of Psalms for example. Just because the the NT writers held the Jewish canon to be authoritative, it doesn't mean every book in the canon would be quoted. If most of the books of the Jewish canon are quoted as authoritative, we have a good basis for accepting the rest of the books in the same canon.

However Sirach belongs to what the Catholic Church calls the second canon of scripture, the deuterocanonical books. None of them are quoted as authoritative in the NT. Possible allusions or similarities in thought between Sirach and the passages in the NT only show a common theological background, it is not a basis for accepting Sirach as scripture.

Assyrian

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Assyrian said:
If we look at tradition, oral or otherwise, we are looking at a form of teaching we know from Jesus' own words can end up denying scripture itself. We are also looking at teaching that has come to us through a time when scripture warns us false teachings would arise in the church. So if we look at something supported by tradition but not by scripture, how can we tell if it is genuine or not? The only option is to stick to what the scripture teaches.

You seem to be assuming that I am supporting including oral tradition as authoritative. I am not. I am only looking at the fact that some denominations, rightly or wrongly, do. Also at what we can deduce of the role of oral tradition in regard the LXX prior to the completion of the canonization process of the Old and New Testaments.

In short, I am not evaluating the correctness or reliability of oral tradition, but only attempting to establish what it was and how we can know it.

Why should a quotation from say, Tobit, have an oral history behind it? A quotation from Tobit means the writer had access to the scroll of Tobit in a Christian library. It doesn't mean he thought Tobit was scripture, or even that there was a tradition of recognising Tobit as canonical.

It does not mean that he didn’t either. Or that such a tradition did not exist. I expect the key question here is whether the LXX was seen to be a collection of scripture prior to the existence of the codices. It is possible that it was not.

If that is the case, we are looking at whether each book in what has come to be seen as the LXX canon was perceived as scripture or simply as edifying reading.

I Don't think any organisation has the authority to decide the canon. They can recognise, and list, which books have been have been recognised and held as authoritative by churches through the previous centuries. These are the books of the NT that have made the churches rather than the other way around.

Canonization requires elimination as well as inclusion. If all the Fathers did was recognize which Christian writings were held authoritative by churches, the NT would contain hundreds of books and letters, not just 27. I recall a plaint by one 4th century bishop that over 400 gospels were in circulation in his diocese. Canonization whittled down that number to four. If that is not decision-making, I don’t know what is.

Yes, the NT made the churches what they are, but only after the church made the NT.

But I don't think Gentile New Covenant churches are in a position to decide the canon of the Jewish Old Covenant scriptures.

Of course they are not. Relative to the LXX, the question is how did pre-Jamnia Jews, including Jewish Christians such as the apostles, evaluate them? Did they see the LXX as a scriptural canon? Did they see any deuteron-canonical work as scripture.

I suggest we cannot know from the evidence what their position was. We know that there is no direct quotation from them in NT scripture. But what about extra-canonical Jewish and Christian writings? We know there are many allusions to them in the NT.

But neither citation nor allusion specifically identify the LXX deutero-canonical books as scripture. OTOH they do not exclude the possibility of this POV either.

But there is no evidence that the NT writers recognised any canon other than the Jewish one we have from Jamina.

That’s impossible. Most NT scripture was written prior to the rabbinical conference of Jamnia. No one can recognize a canon that has not been proposed yet. The only available “canon” they could recognize was the LXX.

I cannot imagine any Jewish rabbi abandoning books they regarded as the inspired word of God.

Why not? Why would they be any different than the church fathers in this respect, many of whom argued passionately for the inclusion of Christian apocrypha such as The Shepherd of Hermas or the letters of Clement?

This just brings us back to the question of what you mean by 'appears in the Septuagint'. I think you are reading fourth century Christian codices back into first century Hellenistic Judaism. You would have to show that first century Jews believed Sirach was part of the canon first.

Well, the codices did not appear out of thin air. Someone decided what to include in them. And what was included already existed and was no doubt used in Jewish and Christian communities. So there must have been copying and circulation of the manuscripts going back possibly as far as the original translation of the Hebrew works into Greek. So we are looking here at nearly 6 centuries of use prior to the creation of the codices. And for the first two centuries, we are looking at solely Jewish use unaffected by the still non-existent church.

I don’t think there can be any question that the early churches imitated the synagogues of the Greek-speaking diaspora in terms of what writings were deemed authoritative.

I also expect that the production of LXX codices reflected the use of the early church. What would be really helpful here would be to find an earlier codex with Jewish roots, or failing that, a pre-Jamnia or extra-Jamnia listing of recommended writings from a Jewish perspective. Lacking such evidence we can only speculate.

How, for example, could one ever say that 1st century Jews regarded Sirach as part of a canon if no canon yet existed? Only the first two sections of the Tanakh (Torah and Prophets) had fixed boundaries in the first century. Canonicity did not apply yet to any other text, including Chronicles, Job, Proverbs or any of the texts we do now refer to as canonical.

Just because the NT writers held the Jewish canon to be authoritative, it doesn't mean every book in the canon would be quoted.

But that is the basis on which you are arguing that the NT writers did not regard the deutero-canonical LXX books as inspired scripture. When the NT writers composed their epistles and gospels, Proverbs was no more part of the Jewish canon than Wisdom or Baruch were. There was no canon to hold authoritative in respect to the Ketubim. Unless it was that of the LXX.

If lack of a NT reference is sufficient to exclude Judith or Maccabees, it is also sufficient to exclude Proverbs.

However Sirach belongs to what the Catholic Church calls the second canon of scripture, the deuterocanonical books. None of them are quoted as authoritative in the NT. Possible allusions or similarities in thought between Sirach and the passages in the NT only show a common theological background, it is not a basis for accepting Sirach as scripture.

The same could be said for any OT book that is not part of the Torah or the Prophets, and not cited in the NT e.g. Proverbs.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:
You seem to be assuming that I am supporting including oral tradition as authoritative. I am not. I am only looking at the fact that some denominations, rightly or wrongly, do. Also at what we can deduce of the role of oral tradition in regard the LXX prior to the completion of the canonization process of the Old and New Testaments.
I thought it seemed out of place for you and couldn't quite see where you were coming from. I think I saw somewhere (was it you?) said you had EO leanings, which might have explained some of it, or you could have just been trying to find out more about the subject.

There are two ways we can look at the question of the apocrypha, we can try to find understand the reasons some denominations accept them, or we can look at why they are wrong!!! Coming from a Catholic background, after a long struggle to deprogram myself and leave, I lean rather heavily towards the second option, as you have seen :D

In short, I am not evaluating the correctness or reliability of oral tradition, but only attempting to establish what it was and how we can know it.
Unfortunately we only know what oral tradition was after the fact, when someone writes it down, or writes about it, or when we hear it for the first time. Usually an oral tradition will claim to be 'what the church has always believed'. Sometimes you can trace the development of a tradition or doctrine from references in earlier writings, but people who believe in the oral tradition is an authentic will read the later tradition back into the early statements that the tradition grew out of.
Which is why I prefer to stick with the scriptures.

It does not mean that he didn’t either. Or that such a tradition did not exist. I expect the key question here is whether the LXX was seen to be a collection of scripture prior to the existence of the codices. It is possible that it was not.
If that is the case, we are looking at whether each book in what has come to be seen as the LXX canon was perceived as scripture or simply as edifying reading.
Yes, it can be quite hard to tell the difference.

Canonization requires elimination as well as inclusion. If all the Fathers did was recognize which Christian writings were held authoritative by churches, the NT would contain hundreds of books and letters, not just 27. I recall a plaint by one 4th century bishop that over 400 gospels were in circulation in his diocese. Canonization whittled down that number to four. If that is not decision-making, I don’t know what is.
Yes, the NT made the churches what they are, but only after the church made the NT.
Of the 400 'gospels' floating around his parish, how many were actually considered authoritative by the churches? If you look at the lists of of actual candidates for the canon, there weren't very many books being considered.

Of course they are not. Relative to the LXX, the question is how did pre-Jamnia Jews, including Jewish Christians such as the apostles, evaluate them? Did they see the LXX as a scriptural canon? Did they see any deuteron-canonical work as scripture.
I suggest we cannot know from the evidence what their position was. We know that there is no direct quotation from them in NT scripture. But what about extra-canonical Jewish and Christian writings? We know there are many allusions to them in the NT.
But neither citation nor allusion specifically identify the LXX deutero-canonical books as scripture. OTOH they do not exclude the possibility of this POV either.
The testimony of NT writers backs up the Jamina council. This is the most powerful testimony you can have, hostile witnesses. You would need very strong evidence to claim that the apocrypha were part of the first century canon, in spite of the testimony of Jamina that they were not and the strange failure of the NT writers to quote them.

That’s impossible. Most NT scripture was written prior to the rabbinical conference of Jamnia. No one can recognize a canon that has not been proposed yet. The only available "canon" they could recognize was the LXX.
You are assuming the LXX was a canon, in fact the LXX initially applied to only to the Pentateuch, If you are talking of all the Greek books bound together into a codex as the canon of the LXX then that belongs to 4th and 5th century Christianity not 1st century Judaism. On the other hand the council of Jemina did not 'propose a canon', they put in writing the books of scripture that were already recognised in the Synagogues. I think the only book to give them any trouble was Ezekiel, probably because of his weirder acting out prophecies naked that would have got him banned and undergoing counselling in any church I know of.

If you read the NT people knew what scripture was. There is a shared definition when Jesus spoke about 'the law and the prophets'. Jemina wrote it down for us, but people even understood the order of the books, otherwise Jesus comment about all the prophets from Abel (in the beginning of Genesis) to Zechariah (the end of Chronicles the last book in the Tanach), would have been meaningless.

Why not? Why would they be any different than the church fathers in this respect, many of whom argued passionately for the inclusion of Christian apocrypha such as The Shepherd of Hermas or the letters of Clement?
Hermas was left out because it was written later, but ultimately, because most churches didn't recognise them as scripture. What you are suggesting is that the Jews in Jamina left out books that had been generally recognised and loved as the word of God, simply because the Christians like them? The Christians loved Deuteronomy, Isaiah and the Psalms and they were always quoting them at the Jews as evidence of Jesus being the Messiah. Why didn't Jamina cut those books if they dropped the Apocrypha when the Christians quoted them?

Well, the codices did not appear out of thin air. Someone decided what to include in them. And what was included already existed and was no doubt used in Jewish and Christian communities. So there must have been copying and circulation of the manuscripts going back possibly as far as the original translation of the Hebrew works into Greek. So we are looking here at nearly 6 centuries of use prior to the creation of the codices. And for the first two centuries, we are looking at solely Jewish use unaffected by the still non-existent church.

I don’t think there can be any question that the early churches imitated the synagogues of the Greek-speaking diaspora in terms of what writings were deemed authoritative.

I also expect that the production of LXX codices reflected the use of the early church. What would be really helpful here would be to find an earlier codex with Jewish roots, or failing that, a pre-Jamnia or extra-Jamnia listing of recommended writings from a Jewish perspective. Lacking such evidence we can only speculate.

How, for example, could one ever say that 1st century Jews regarded Sirach as part of a canon if no canon yet existed? Only the first two sections of the Tanakh (Torah and Prophets) had fixed boundaries in the first century. Canonicity did not apply yet to any other text, including Chronicles, Job, Proverbs or any of the texts we do now refer to as canonical.
Yes copies of Greek manuscripts of Jewish books were passed down to the church who bound them together in a codex. Some were translations of the Hebrew scriptures. Others were Jewish religious books mostly written in Greek. The Christians who bound these collections together into a handy book format centuries later did not know the difference.

It does not mean any Hellenistic Jew ever considered the apocrypha scripture. But we do have a rich source of what first century Jews considered scripture, we have the testimony of Jamina and we have the testimony of the writers of the NT. Astonishingly, inspite of the animosity between Jews and Christians they agree. What more testimony do we need?
But that is the basis on which you are arguing that the NT writers did not regard the deutero-canonical LXX books as inspired scripture. When the NT writers composed their epistles and gospels, Proverbs was no more part of the Jewish canon than Wisdom or Baruch were. There was no canon to hold authoritative in respect to the Ketubim. Unless it was that of the LXX.
The LXX wasn't a canon. But Jemina tells us what rabbis in the first century had been taught were the books of the bible and it matches very closely the books quoted by the NT writers and even the order of the canon assumed in Jesus teaching.
If lack of a NT reference is sufficient to exclude Judith or Maccabees, it is also sufficient to exclude Proverbs.
Apart from the fact that Proverbs was quoted in the NT, it was part of the group of wisdom literature including Job and Psalms that were long accepted as scripture and were quoted in the NT. No book of the second canon was ever accepted as scripture by the Jews.

The same could be said for any OT book that is not part of the Torah or the Prophets, and not cited in the NT e.g. Proverbs.
The law and the prophets was a phrase used to describe the Jewish scriptures, just because it only says 'law' and 'prophets' it does not mean it excludes historical books like Chronicles, or wisdom literature like the Psalms. The idiom 'the law and the prophets' covered the whole Tanach including Psalms and Proverbs. But it never meant religious books like Sirach or Judith.

gluadys in If evolution is not valid science said:

It might be helpful if we knew what you considered signs of something being "quoted as though they were the Authoritative word of God." How does one distinguish such a citation from one that is quoted without implication that it is the Authoritative word of God?
It could be as strong a reference as James 4:5&6 where the writer is talking about what scripture says, 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Which is a direct quote from Prov 3:34 in the LXX The Lord resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble.

But "quoting as though they were the Authoritative word of God." can mean just quoting the verse, simply thinking the passage was worth quoting. The New Testament writers clearly recognised a body of work they called Scripture or 'the law and the prophets'. 99.5% of the times when a passage is quoted in the NT it is a passage from the body of books the Jamina Rabbis called the Tanach.

Now I wouldn't have any trouble accepting a book if it belonged in the same body of work, even if it didn't get quoted in the NT, I would have serious difficulties with a claim that a book was scripture if it belonged to a different corpus, a 'second canon' that was neither quoted by the NT or accepted by the first century Jews as scripture.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Assyrian said:
Sometimes you can trace the development of a tradition or doctrine from references in earlier writings, but people who believe in the oral tradition is an authentic will read the later tradition back into the early statements that the tradition grew out of.

True, and it does aggravate the problem.

Of the 400 'gospels' floating around his parish, how many were actually considered authoritative by the churches?

None and all. None, since no authoritative canon existed yet; therefore all since no authoritative canon excluded them yet.

It was exactly this type of situation that made an authoritative canon necessary.

If you look at the lists of of actual candidates for the canon, there weren't very many books being considered.

Yes, these lists were the initial step in canonization.

The testimony of NT writers backs up the Jamina council. This is the most powerful testimony you can have, hostile witnesses. You would need very strong evidence to claim that the apocrypha were part of the first century canon, in spite of the testimony of Jamina that they were not and the strange failure of the NT writers to quote them.

I think the point is that in the first cenury there was no canon of the Writings yet, in contrast to the Torah and the Prophets which had been settled earlier. Nevertheless, even those they had not been formally canonized yet, some writings were regarded as scripture on the same basis as the earlier sections. Jesus places the Psalms together with Torah and Prophets. He also refers to the book of Daniel as authoritative.

You are assuming the LXX was a canon, in fact the LXX initially applied to only to the Pentateuch, If you are talking of all the Greek books bound together into a codex as the canon of the LXX then that belongs to 4th and 5th century Christianity not 1st century Judaism.

I had always heard the LXX referred to in that way. But you have given me reason to think that it may not have had that status until the production of the codices. Codices have a format that suggests disparate works belong together and that the authority given to one work attaches equally to all.

On the other hand the council of Jemina did not 'propose a canon', they put in writing the books of scripture that were already recognised in the Synagogues. I think the only book to give them any trouble was Ezekiel, probably because of his weirder acting out prophecies naked that would have got him banned and undergoing counselling in any church I know of.

Yes they did propose a canon. I am certain it did not include every work honoured as scripture in every synagogue. I expect that in Greek -speaking synogoues at least some of the deutercanonical books featured on their lists of books recognized as scripture.

I have heard there were intense arguments over both the Song of Solomon (due to its erotic nature) and over the Book of Esther (due to the lack of reference to God in it.)

If you read the NT people knew what scripture was. There is a shared definition when Jesus spoke about 'the law and the prophets'. Jemina wrote it down for us,

Of course they knew what the considered to be scripture. But we cannot conclude that what the early church recognized as scripture was identical to the Jamnia canon. We can't even conclude that the Jamnia canon was universally welcomed in all Jewish synangogues.

What you are suggesting is that the Jews in Jamina left out books that had been generally recognised and loved as the word of God, simply because the Christians like them?

No, there would be multiple criteria. Christian use of the LXX might have been a relatively minor concern.

It does not mean any Hellenistic Jew ever considered the apocrypha scripture.

Nor that they didn't. The Septuagint translations were a wholly Jewish work. In so far as Jewish writings in Greek were collected with them and used similarly, that is an indication they were considered scripture as well. Why would they be bound into codices at all, if they were not seen as being part of this collection of scripture?

But we do have a rich source of what first century Jews considered scripture, we have the testimony of Jamina and we have the testimony of the writers of the NT. Astonishingly, inspite of the animosity between Jews and Christians they agree. What more testimony do we need?

In regardto the NT you are arguing on the basis of absence of evidence, always a dangerous tactic. That leaves the Jamnia canon as the only evidence. We need to consider that there was more to the Jewish community that the gathering at Jamnia. You speak as if it received immediate whole-hearted endorsement among Jews. I doubt that was the case.

No book of the second canon was ever accepted as scripture by the Jews.

I think you are arguing from silence again. I don't think silence tells us one way or the other.

The law and the prophets was a phrase used to describe the Jewish scriptures, just because it only says 'law' and 'prophets' it does not mean it excludes historical books like Chronicles, or wisdom literature like the Psalms. The idiom 'the law and the prophets' covered the whole Tanach including Psalms and Proverbs. But it never meant religious books like Sirach or Judith.

Well you are contradicting most of the authorities I have ever read on the subject of canonization of the Tanakh.

It could be as strong a reference as James 4:5&6 where the writer is talking about what scripture says, 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says,

Well that is pretty obvious. But you seemed to be implying that one could refer to a text as authoritative scripture without a direct identification.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.