Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
All throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, so why do you think that God wanted this if it was not pleasing to Him? In Isaiah 64:6 it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people hyperbolically complaining about God not coming down and making His presence known. The reality is that God does not command filthy rags, but rather the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen (Revelation 19:8).

In Mark 9:14-17, Jesus was asked why his disciples were not fasting and gave the parable about wineskins to answer their question, which has nothing to do with saying that the Torah is old wine and you are referencing that parable to make a point that has nothing to do with the point that Jesus was making. While Jesus lived in perfect obedience to the Torah, so while we do not become perfect as the result of obeying it, living in obedience to it is what being made perfect looks like. The Torah is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so it is contradictory to contrast the Torah with being with Jesus. the Bible doesn't say anything about replacing the curtain with the cross, so again you are inserting your own meaning. God's law is His instructions for how to love, so it is contradictory to live by love instead of living in obedience to it.

If we believe that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, then we will live in a way that testifies about that truth by keeping the Sabbath holy rather than a way that denies it by not keeping it holy. Jesus was going around teaching good news and healing people, so he was extremely popular with the people, such as with the Triumphal entry, but it was some of the leadership that he was at odds with.

The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty for our sins should make us want to go and sin no more, not consider the law to be of no effect. While it is true that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1), those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), so there is only no condemnation for those who are following his example of walking in obedience to it.

The Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Mosaic Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27). The Judaizers were wanting to require all Gentiles to become circumcised in order to become saved, however, that was never the purpose for which God commanded circumcision, so the Jerusalem Council upheld the Mosaic Law by correctly ruling against requiring circumcision for in a incorrect reason. Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Mosaic Law by word and by example, so the problem that they had with the Judaizers was not that they were teaching Gentiles how to follow Christ.
I think we are to keep the law of faith, like Abraham, Isaac Jacob 430 years before Moses law even was. As you say, all throughout the bible (ie. Torah).

The law of faith... Even further back than 430 years before the law of Moses....
Ge 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Ge 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Ro 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
And even to the beginning was the law of faith....
The list....

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Which law is God's Character. As God is faithful
Deut 7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Faithful to his oath The gospel before preached to Abraham.........All nations

Gen 22:16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we are to keep the law of faith, like Abraham, Isaac Jacob 430 years before Moses law even was. As you say, all throughout the bible (ie. Torah).

The law of faith... Even further back than 430 years before the law of Moses....
Ge 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Ge 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Ro 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
And even to the beginning was the law of faith....
The list....

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Which law is God's Character. As God is faithful
Deut 7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Faithful to his oath The gospel before preached to Abraham.........All nations

Gen 22:16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
And guess what this 'law of faith' said, the same thing He has always said to mankind, He doesnt change.
2 Corinthians 3:3
Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Law has come to an end. And I may present my case for this later.

For now, I want to critique one line of argument that those who believe the Law remains in force sometimes use: the notion that since God "is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow", the Law can therefore never be done away with.

It is a bad argument. God can, of course, be unchanging in His nature and yet still change the way He works in the world. If the argument really worked, it can equally well be deployed to argue that since God never changes, He cannot have decided 2000 years ago to send Jesus into the world since this would clearly entail a change. But that is clearly wrong.

Yes, God is unchanging, but He clearly varies how He acts in the world - one day, clear skies, the next 40 days of rain.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Law has come to an end. And I may present my case for this later.

For now, I want to critique one line of argument that those who believe the Law remains in force sometimes use: the notion that since God "is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow", the Law can therefore never be done away with.

It is a bad argument. God can, of course, be unchanging in His nature and yet still change the way He works in the world. If the argument really worked, it can equally well be deployed to argue that since God never changes, He cannot have decided 2000 years ago to send Jesus into the world since this would clearly entail a change. But that is clearly wrong.

Yes, God is unchanging, but He clearly varies how He acts in the world - one day, clear skies, the next 40 days of rain.
So we can now steal, murder, commit adultery, and worship idols to the utmost....I think I see a problem...

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So we can now steal, murder, commit adultery, and worship idols to the utmost....I think I see a problem...
This, too, is a common but faulty argument.

Scripture teaches us that the guidance of the Holy Spirit replaces the law. And the Spirit of God will certainly let us know not to murder, commit adultery, or worship idols.

In any event, you have evaded my argument. The fact that God does not change in his essence does not, of course, mean that he does not change the way he works in the world.

Upvote 0