What comes to you mind when you hear "INDIA"?

w

• Hinduism

• Very religious country

• Unity in Diversity

• Birth place of many religions

• Poverty

• Next major global power

• Caste System

• Kama Sutra

• Land of spirituality

• Land of Mysteries

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul_sharma

Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Colonialism, slums, sweat shops, pollution, religious diversity, barely concealed hostility between India and Pakistan, tea, fakirs, Taj Mahal, Siddharta Gautama, Mahatma Gandhi, Mughal empire, paneer, chapati, curry, Ganges, Baghavad Gita, Krisna, Brahman, holy cows, thuggees, Kali Ma, Bollywood movies, beautiful women, temple dancers, Tantra, traffic chaos, monsun, the Jungle Book(s), child labour, Cricket, Parsi, Ganesa, Sanskrit, Indo-European languages, post-colonial literature...

Yeah, that's approximately what first comes to mind when I hear the word "India".

seems like you are really trying to understand the ancient, continuous, unending drama of India. :pray:

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
sorry for the limited choices. I know we can't put limit to choices when it comes to India. It's so vast and diverse. Due to academic reasons, i am trying to understand international mind on various forums about India on these 10 limited options. Hinduism, Poverty and Land of mysteries are topping on religious threads everywhere (just like here). When it comes to economy related threads poverty is replaced by Next major economic power.

Some misconceptions are fading away and new Image is building up with the rise of India's cultural "Soft Power" status.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What comes to mind when you think of India?

Intelligence
A lot of programming is now done in India as well as many other things

Efficiency
Indians use on average 1/34th as much oil as Americans; we should learn from them

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't get the Land of Mysteries option. What mysteries?

eudaimonia,

Mark
I was king of thinking the same thing. What makes one country more mysterious than another? In the west, what was called the "orient" was always looked upon as being mysterious mainly because it was poorly understood.

Though in some ways I suppose India can be mysterious. Some areas of the globe are going to be more mysterious than others if people have been living there for a long time. I mean, if you take America as an example, it doesn't have that long of a written history. Settlers came a few hundred years ago and before that it was inhabited by a rather sparse population of native Americans that, while rich in history, are not as thick with information as thousands of years of philosophy on the Indian subcontinent. Some of the older parts of the written and developed world, namely Mesopotamia and India, as well as Europe, northern Africa and China, could arguably be more mysterious than some of the newer places in the world. Combine age with a huge population and you have something mysterious like India.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What comes to mind when I hear "India"?

I am reminded of the poem written by Walt Whitman "Passage to India"

Passage to India!
Lo, soul! seest thou not God’s purpose from the first?
The earth to be spann’d, connected by net-work,
The people to become brothers and sisters,
The races, neighbors, to marry and be given in marriage,
The oceans to be cross’d, the distant brought near,
The lands to be welded together.

(A worship new, I sing;
You captains, voyagers, explorers, yours!
You engineers! you architects, machinists, your!
You, not for trade or transportation only,
But in God’s name, and for thy sake, O soul.)

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Efficiency
Indians use on average 1/34th as much oil as Americans; we should learn from them

Do you mean we should do this?

India&

I'd prefer a little less "efficiency". (Galt help us if we had to take Amtrak to work and back!)

Any nation that has more poverty is going to have a lower gasoline consumption per person. This is not something we should learn from. I think we're on a better track with creating fuel efficient hybrid cars, and hopefully fully electrical cars are on the way.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when I hear "India", I recall a lovely moment from Fawlty Towers:

The Colonel: "I...I must have been very keen on her. I took her to see INDIA!"
Mr. Fawlty: "You what?"
The Colonel: "AT THE OVAL!"

So sorry to disappoint you, but he was a major!

:)

Bruce

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I have to admit to not being "in love with India". You know there are some countries that seem to work their magic on you, regardless of where you live, and your greatest wish is to visit there, and you seem to love most of the things from that country (food, clothes, music, films, etc...), you also seem to feel a pull, somewhere deep in your pysche... I've sadly never felt that for India.

Don't get me wrong, the country is lovely, and I'm sure that most of the people are, too... it just has never "grabbed" me by the heart, as I know it does with many people. I wish it had :(

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have to admit to not being "in love with India". You know there are some countries that seem to work their magic on you, regardless of where you live, and your greatest wish is to visit there, and you seem to love most of the things from that country (food, clothes, music, films, etc...), you also seem to feel a pull, somewhere deep in your pysche...

Can you say GREECE?

Though I heard it is very easy to adopt kids from India and China... We are going to be looking at adoption down the line some day, it is wonderful to give a child home.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.