Oklahoma City
✟15,415.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I use The Good News version because it's an easier read for me. I also have an Amplified Bible which I like when I am researching. But I love this one Bible my mother found at a store it's The Message and the American Standard Version Parallel Bible... it has the two versions side by side and is really nice for cross referencing and I love it because you can look at both and still understand it.

Reactions: leytonstones
Upvote 0

RVoutreach

Feb 25, 2009
✟147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use the KJV. I have compared it to several other popular translations and they get too liberal in their translation. They omit words, add words, change meanings, etc. To me, the KJV is not hard at all to understand... especially if you read it and pray for guidance and understanding while doing so.

Reactions: Beckyy25
Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They omit illegitimatly added words, and correct bad translations. If you begin with the presupposition that the Bible, rightly rendered, is going to look like the KJV or TR, of course new translations are bad. That's just an incorrect supposition.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently got a TNIV Study Bible for Christmas and I use it along with my ESV Bible. I'm kind of a Bible collector, so I occasionally reference the others.

BTW, hello Baptist brothers and sisters!:wave:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I use the KJV. I have compared it to several other popular translations and they get too liberal in their translation. They omit words, add words, change meanings, etc. To me, the KJV is not hard at all to understand... especially if you read it and pray for guidance and understanding while doing so.

I totally agree. Did you know that newer Bible versions change words just so they can get a copyright? :doh:

I just wanted to add that I have no problem using other Bible versions. I just simply prefer the KJV. You can get saved using just about any Bible version except for maybe the New World Translation (Jehovah's Witness Translation).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I totally agree. Did you know that newer Bible versions change words just so they can get a copyright?

I would venture to say the change the words because the KJV does not paint the picture quite as well, or because the language is 400 years old and outdated, or because they have better manuscripts than before, or a whole list of other reasons, other than copyright. Especially since almost all are available for free online.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have read this thread again and herein lies the point of the entire KJVonly issue:

Now, James White breaks KJVonlyism into 5 groups;
1. I like the KJV best
2. The textual argument
3. Received text only
4. The inspired KJV group
5. The KJV as new/advanced revelation (Peter Ruckman, Jack Hyles, Jack Schaap)

the above quote in it's entirety is ridiculous and waters down the entire arguement in regards to what KJVonlyism truely is as fact. I am sure Mr. White was trying hard to be "PC" so as not to offend people who use the KJV as their translation of choice but it's a nonsensical breakdown of KJVOnlyism to say the least.

Point #1 above is irrelevant...and not warranted as a category of KJVonlyism. It's one's preference, and that is all.
Point #2 the same. I prefer the KJV texts due to it's language and beauty...being a World Literature Major in college, it's easy for me to understand.
Point #3 this group is just ignort in basic historical scholarship. No harm, no foul. Harmless as a whole, unless they "graduate" to the last 2 points in thoughts and deed.
Points #4 and #5: KJV ONLYISM base definition for today....NUFF said here folks.

Also, another thing I refuse to accept is the "the language is so old for today" attitude. It is, but when it was written...a lot of it was outdated back then as well! It's not archaic at all. OLD English is archaic by definition.
A primary concern of the translators was to produce a Bible that would be appropriate, dignified and resonant in public reading. Hence, in a period of rapid linguistic change, they avoided contemporary idioms; tending instead towards forms that were already slightly archaic, like verily and it came to pass.
That's all I have to say about that. ;)

thankyou for listening and God bless.

PS: I recently picked up a KJV for myself. I have been "translation bouncing" so to speak...I have used the KJV many many years ago for reading and study....I now remember why I love it! My college major in Literature has indeed helped me to feel very comfortable yet again around this translation. Each to his/her own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last night I took the time and did a verse by verse reading/comparison of the gospel of John. NKJV versus KJV.
They actually read exactly the same. With a few exceptions, even sentence structure is the same. The only difference is the "king james english" usage in the KJV. I was impressed. My pastor uses the NKJV on Sundays when preaching...I expect I will have absolutely NO problem following along with him using my KJV, unlike the ESV and the NASB that have more variations in textual structures(compared to the NKJV). No biggie there, but I think I'll use my KJV for a while(I've always loved how the language used flows from verse to verse). :) The NKJV study bible is HUGE and well just plain heavy to lug to church on Sundays. ;) My pastor reads kindof fast when reading the scriptures before a sermon, and sometimes it's difficult to folow along with him using the ESV or NASB.
Hope this info helps those hesitant about trying the KJV for church and study. I use my NKJV study bible for study at home, and love the fact that I can add the KJV to my overall study as a complement to it.

thanks.

Upvote 0

JN4OldSchool

Sola Scriptura
Mar 8, 2009
✟15,205.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our church uses KJV, Defenders study Bibles in the Pews. We have all sorts of Bibles at home, we are both students. I like to compare the footnotes in different editions, KJV we have a Nelson, Defender, and Ryrie. We also have a NKJV and a couple parallel editions. I use the e-Sword electronic Bible study program ALL the time. I could not live without this. I use it in Vista, but I also dual boot with Linux and it can be run in Wine. This program is free and it contains too many Bible modules to list. I particularly llike the Greek and Hebrew modules as they can be used in conjunction with the concordance modules and the commentary modules. I strongly urge everyone to check this program out:

http://www.e-sword.net/

I also use my Scofield NIV a lot.I use this to get a more personal "feel" for the passage, and also for the family Bible reading with the kids. They belong to Awana and they memorize verses in KJV, which I agree with, but I also want them to understand what the verses say and NIV definitly has the advantage here.

If I could only have 1 Bible it would be my personal Nelson KJV. I just thank God I live in a time and place where I can hold His word in all these forms. We truly have a distinct advantage over our forefathers in the amount and quality of information that is readily available.

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I used the NASB for years, but got a free copy of the EXV, did some research on it, found it to be a good translation, and now use it a lot. i keep my NASB handy because it is a Key Word Study bible and has a great lexicon.

Upvote 0

icamewithasword

Mine enemy is the Enemy [and Lib Christian Theo]
Mar 17, 2009
Benton, AR
✟15,778.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Some people can read Shakespear (?) and can understand, some can read it and think they understand, some can't even read it at all.....
As long as it's the bible....read the one YOU understand!
I have NKJV at work
NLT study bible (very easy to read)
ESV (daily reading and reffer)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.