What are your views on Christian Psychology?

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
We can always trust the Word as our guide when seeking direction.

<...going to pastors or christian people isnt always the right answer..

This honors the Word by doing so first. If your pastor doesn't have a heart for God, why are you there? Isn't there someone endued with wisdom in the house you attend? Some one who can reach God on your behalf and pray earnestly and avail much?

<somtimes actually it can be the worst thing...
<test the spirits..its amazing how people say they hear the Spirit.buts its not the right Spirit they are listening too

Always judge what you hear by the Spirit. If you're in a condition where you're not hearing well, call upon the Lord and believe you'll be "saved". If you're honoring Him by honoring His Word, even if they're in the flesh 90% of the time, He'll speak through them that 10% of the time if you believe. It may not be the full counsel you need, but it always pays to honor God at His Word before anything else.

<going to people who are "wise" and hear God can not only be hurtful but dangerous

We're talking about the wisdom of God, not the world. If people are using worldy wisdom, that is what God confounds. Psalm 1 says "Blessed are those who walk not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor sit in the seat of the scornful... If they're not saved, then you're asking someone in darkness to counsel someone in the light. Enter deception. No matter how well meaning people are, the unsaved do not dispense light to the believer. If the Lord leads you to a worldly counselor, then He will say something through them that you will hear in the Spirit. That is the exception.

You can go to a psychologist just like you can go to a medical doctor. There's no sin in going. You might just need to hear common sense. But don't expect spiritual direction from the ungodly. What we really need is the anointing to set the captive free.

<alot of people these days say they hear God..but really..they do not

That is why we test everything. Many of God's own anointed have strongholds and if you tread upon those areas, you'll be led astray. I have heard it myself. But if you trust the Lord, you'll know the truth from the lie. Sometimes hearing the lie in the Spirit gets you back on your feet and securely fixing on the throne, always a good thing.

I'm not being a pest, I just want to affirm God's Word and trusting in Him to manifest in your hour of need.

Upvote 0

HoneyComb Son

Veteran
Jan 27, 2004
✟2,902.00
Faith
Christian
Im just saying...we think we all got it right..in Gods word etc..when in fact we can be all off......at times I think we make everything spiritual when in fact we dont have too...

been there myself..seen it alot...people make it all spirtual....

im here jus to testify..all this spiritual stuff can get out of hand big time..and that in churches all out there..alot of people ant got it right..not saying anything about grace and whatnot

just saying..from experience....at times are answers are not in church but in the world.and when i say that..dont take it the wrong way..because at tiems the church can be its worst enemy....there are always wolves in sheep clothing

even if we test everything..can still be all wrong..

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I'm sorry you attended a church where that was the case. It's sobering, and the counsel of the ungodly can be at church. That is the exception. I'm a firm believer that God provides for His people if they will dare to believe Him.

It's only the Word that I give heed to when talking about the counsel of the ungodly. Godly counsel is actually very practical and Jesus is interested in every detail of our lives.

It's not overspiritualizing. It's just right actually! You do have to dare to believe to partake. It's good to be challenged to do so in a godly exhortation, don't you think?

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's also good when you go to God and get an incredible Holy SPirit encounter that would change your life.

It's worth a hundred sessions on the couch!

:)
This is very true but I do not think the two are mutually exclusive. In my journey to wholeness God has directed me to secular counselling. I was dealing with serious emotional scars and needed somewhere safe to start dealing with them as I was very depressed and stressed. At the time the church was not in a position to offer the kind of support I needed. I had been abused as a child and couldn't even talk about it to anyone except my husband. I was pretty blocked. After my time in couselling and group therapy I was able with the Holy Spirit's help to share and encourage other woman with similar emotional mountains. I shared at a women's conference about my pain shortly after completing the counselling and the Lord had a word of encouragement to share with the ladies through me. It was a pretty big deal and many came forward for ministry. I get a little frustrated with folks who think it is just one or the other and actually make you feel guilty for being ill and hurting implying that seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist shows a lack of faith in God's ability to heal. I would have been so grateful for some proper Christian counselling back then but God led me to a good place even if it was secular. gg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
coming from a person witha history of seeing councellors etc....going to pastors or christian people isnt always the right answer..

somtimes actually it can be the worst thing...

going to people who are "wise" and hear God can not only be hurtful but dangerous

alot of people these days say they hear God..but really..they do not

test the spirits..its amazing how people say they hear the Spirit.buts its not the right Spirit they are listening too

in matter of fact..secular councellors have brought alot of freedom more so then a church and pastor..or christian councelor for myself..I was able to see love and peace..coming from unbelievers then from church and believers

you cant dismiss physcology..and I have taken it in university..sure theres alot of wrong theories..but it can help

the church has to realize that in many ways its wrong...but you cant teach someone who isnt willing to learn or see differently

and trust me again this is coming from a person who was involved in such a spiritual environment..Spirit led councell and it all..

its dangerous times...
Well said:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My view on counseling and psychology is tainted.

I have a family member who only has an associates degree in counseling. Only knowing enough psychology to be 'dangerous', and thus thinks they're qualified to give advice and counsel anybody (namely family, which I believe is inappropriate) on any occasion&#8212;overstepping their boundaries quite often.

I think the idea of Christian counseling is excellent, if the counselor in question is well-trained and balanced.

If you feel God leading you towards a future in counseling/psychology then pursue it at all costs. There are quite a few seminary programs dedicated to psychology, counseling etc.

Upvote 0
S

_Sonnie

Im just saying...we think we all got it right..in Gods word etc..when in fact we can be all off......at times I think we make everything spiritual when in fact we dont have too...

been there myself..seen it alot...people make it all spirtual....

im here jus to testify..all this spiritual stuff can get out of hand big time..and that in churches all out there..alot of people ant got it right..not saying anything about grace and whatnot

just saying..from experience....at times are answers are not in church but in the world.and when i say that..dont take it the wrong way..because at tiems the church can be its worst enemy....there are always wolves in sheep clothing

even if we test everything..can still be all wrong..
True (well except for answers being in the world, but I think I understand what you mean).

I have a neighbor who lost three of her children due to a genetic defect. She and her husband have two surviving children, one of whom underwent several surgeries to correct this same genetic defect. She contemplated getting tubal ligation, but since her church does not believe in birth control of any kind, she visited her priest first. She explained the pain her children went through, and the pain she, as a mother, went through watching her children suffer then die.

This wonderful man of God, the Godly counsel she sought, told her that, "You have to be strong. It's your duty (yes, "duty") as a Catholic wife to go home and have more children." Obviously none of her emotional needs were tended to and were actually made worse.

--

Finding good Christian counsel can be a very difficult task. A pastor is not always the best choice. IMHO, when we have sought God, when we have read our Bibles, then maybe we need to consider that God wants to work through someone, and (also IMHO) the best we can do is let God direct us to someone who has been through what we have been through and has truly overcome by the power of God. Paul says to know Him and the power of His resurrection experientially (Philippians 3:10). People who have "been there" and overcome are much more believable than someone who has memorized theories either out of a book in school, or someone who has memorized verses from the Bible without having to actually apply them in their life.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"Christian psychology" reduces the specific religious experience down into the "nothing but..." of psychology.

It's an asinine concept that even Carl Jung himself vocally opposed.

This is such a generalized statement and is quite untrue. What are your qualifications or your sources for saying this. gg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So your position is that the field of psychology has nothing to offer? That all the Christian schools (including pentecostal ones) that offer degrees in psychology are really just blowing smoke?

A psych degree gives a Christian the ability to hang out a shingle and have a legitimate practice in the world’s eyes where a pastor or other man of God would not. I don’t think counseling charges from a pastor would be covered by your medical insurance, nor do I think the local juvenile court that just ordered your child to get counseling would accept it from his Sunday School teacher. So there’s the value of that, IMO.

When it comes to counseling people, I just think psychology has nothing to add to the word of God. If there’s anything valuable in psychology for advising people, it’s already illustrated in the principles of the word of God. Generally speaking, psychology contradicts the word of God. I don’t see why anyone giving Christian counsel would consider it.

I think people who go to Christian counselors, psychologists or otherwise, are looking for understanding and some practical solutions for whatever it is they’re dealing with. It’s a shame they couldn’t just find that amongst their brothers and sisters in the church who are simply following God faithfully and have already been through and overcome whatever it is they are struggling with.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A psych degree gives a Christian the ability to hang out a shingle and have a legitimate practice in the world’s eyes where a pastor or other man of God would not. I don’t think counseling charges from a pastor would be covered by your medical insurance, nor do I think the local juvenile court that just ordered your child to get counseling would accept it from his Sunday School teacher. So there’s the value of that, IMO.

When it comes to counseling people, I just think psychology has nothing to add to the word of God. If there’s anything valuable in psychology for advising people, it’s already illustrated in the principles of the word of God. Generally speaking, psychology contradicts the word of God. I don’t see why anyone giving Christian counsel would consider it.

I think people who go to Christian counselors, psychologists or otherwise, are looking for understanding and some practical solutions for whatever it is they’re dealing with. It’s a shame they couldn’t just find that amongst their brothers and sisters in the church who are simply following God faithfully and have already been through and overcome whatever it is they are struggling with.

Ok. I disagree with your conclusions, but I thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I count the area of Christian Psychology as an area of discipleship. An area that we are sorely lacking in our generation.

The fact is that we are born into this world as babies who cannot care for ourselves and are totally dependent upon other people for our very survival. Try telling a baby that they should just need G-d and not need other people. Or only need the pastor and not a school teacher. Of course we are meant to grow up and develop some independence. But not complete independence. We need other people for many things.

I do not think it is a step down to go to a christian psychologist. Some matters are ironed out in the context of relationship. We could all use more discipleship/mentoring in many areas of our life.

Just my opinion.

To clarify, I didn’t say there wasn’t a place for counseling or relationship amongst Christians, nor that there wasn’t a need to disciple anyone. Jesus said go make disciples, and God has set certain ministries to do just that. The list doesn’t include psychologist.

So when it comes to discipleship there's the so-called five-fold ministry as well as all your brothers and sisters that have a part in building up the body. But there's only one counselor, and that inward anointing is what really teaches you discipleship. God uses people, but it's inwardly that the hearing happens and the judgments are made in discipleship.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
<This wonderful man of God, the Godly counsel she sought, told her that, "You have to be strong. It's your duty (yes, "duty") as a Catholic wife to go home and have more children." Obviously none of her emotional needs were tended to and were actually made worse.

It's sad that loving Christians by their own ignorance provide ungodly counsel. God's people perish for lack of revelation knowledge. When God fills us with His Holy Spirit, He provides the giftings within us to draw out when needs arise. While as Christians, we must learn to hear the voice of God and minister prophetically (hearing God), not everyone in the Body is pressing into the ways of the Spirit. Without pointing fingers at many denominations, you can talk to ministers of many churches and find out they know very little about hearing from God. The look funny at you and think you're a quack when you're bold to move in the gifts of the Spirit. It is these that destroy the works of the enemy. God provides healing and restoration. He's the same as He was the day before yesterday (2,000 years ago).

<Finding good Christian counsel can be a very difficult task. A pastor is not always the best choice.

The best thing you could possibly do for yourself is to find a Spirit-filled church. God's provision is real and for today.

<People who have "been there" and overcome are much more believable than someone who has memorized theories either out of a book in school, or someone who has memorized verses from the Bible without having to actually apply them in their life.

That's true. It's the experiential working knowledge of the truth that sets us free. We receive ministry from people who have continued in the Word of God in areas we need help in. They are living witnesses to the present day yoke breaking power of God.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A psych degree gives a Christian the ability to hang out a shingle and have a legitimate practice in the world&#8217;s eyes where a pastor or other man of God would not. I don&#8217;t think counseling charges from a pastor would be covered by your medical insurance, nor do I think the local juvenile court that just ordered your child to get counseling would accept it from his Sunday School teacher. So there&#8217;s the value of that, IMO.

When it comes to counseling people, I just think psychology has nothing to add to the word of God. If there&#8217;s anything valuable in psychology for advising people, it&#8217;s already illustrated in the principles of the word of God. Generally speaking, psychology contradicts the word of God. I don&#8217;t see why anyone giving Christian counsel would consider it.

I think people who go to Christian counselors, psychologists or otherwise, are looking for understanding and some practical solutions for whatever it is they&#8217;re dealing with. It&#8217;s a shame they couldn&#8217;t just find that amongst their brothers and sisters in the church who are simply following God faithfully and have already been through and overcome whatever it is they are struggling with.
Ok so where were they when I needed help dealing with abuse fall out or for that matter many more years ago when my mom needed help dealing with as abusive husband? I think you are correct that Christian counselling should reflect the principals expressed in God's word. But just quoting a bunch of scripture to a hurting or mixed up person does absoultely MORE harm than good. I have had pastors that are good at and have a heart for counselling but most don't have a clue. gg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First let me say I think psychology is a better choice for you than IT. The IT work is going overseas what remains here is over work and under pay.

As for the OP, psychology is good at getting to the root of people’s problems it is however lousy at healing them.

The degree would open doors for you that you would not otherwise have access to. If you can lean on the Holy Spirit you stand a good chance of helping people.

If you heart is in it I would encourage you to do it.

John O.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ok so where were they when I needed help dealing with abuse fall out or for that matter many more years ago when my mom needed help dealing with as abusive husband? I think you are correct that Christian counselling should reflect the principals expressed in God's word. But just quoting a bunch of scripture to a hurting or mixed up person does absoultely MORE harm than good. I have had pastors that are good at and have a heart for counselling but most don't have a clue. gg

"Just quoting scripture" doesn't have much value, I agree. The devil quoted scripture to Jesus. Nevertheless, the word of God is alive and powerful and able to divide between soul and spirit and is a discerner of the thoughts and intentions of the heart. There is such a thing as quoting scripture rightly in the power of the Holy Spirit, which is what Jesus did back to the devil, and that settled things.

You have said that secular counseling figured into your life as a Christian, and I don't have anything to say to you about what that was about. I really don't understand what role that played in your life as a Christian, but that's between you and God. You say God used it, and I have no reason not to believe you.

My point has been that psychology per se can't add anything to the word of God. If you want to know how to live in such a way to please God and be wise about salvation, then the word of God is all sufficient. There have been a number of very difficult things I've had to work through where God had me isolated from everyone else, and I had to work it out just between me and Him. There was no help for me from anyone. I can say this, though. His provision was sufficient for me, and frankly, I much rather am glad I learned to come to Him in my trouble than to come to man. God has used all manner of things to minister to me, but all of it boiled down to the word of God. The thing is, it's really not anyone else's responsibility to minister to me, but I can tell you God provides, and He will use us to minister to others if we will just make ourselves available.

Upvote 0
S

_Sonnie

First let me say I think psychology is a better choice for you than IT. The IT work is going overseas what remains here is over work and under pay.

As for the OP, psychology is good at getting to the root of people’s problems it is however lousy at healing them.

The degree would open doors for you that you would not otherwise have access to. If you can lean on the Holy Spirit you stand a good chance of helping people.

John O.

What John O. said.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

John O.

Thank you for the encouragement John. This is a field I have had a lot of interest in for a long time. Now that my wife is almost fully licensed as a special ed teacher, this is the first time where I could actually go back to school full time and finish it out and put in the clock hours (about 3 or 4 years of working under an LPC after graduate school) to become an LPC.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you for the encouragement John. This is a field I have had a lot of interest in for a long time. Now that my wife is almost fully licensed as a special ed teacher, this is the first time where I could actually go back to school full time and finish it out and put in the clock hours (about 3 or 4 years of working under an LPC after graduate school) to become an LPC.
I have often desired to do Christian counselling but at my age it is a bit late to go back and pick up all the academics required for it. But I am excited that you are excited. Keep us in the loop with this IC. GG

Upvote 0