What are your thoughts on multiple church visiting?

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure anyone who knows me views me as a young adult anymore:
Young adult age is the same idea.

I totally agree - even though I may not be clever enough to prove knowing much more than them:
What I guess I mean is, among Christians it seems to be the high of naivety to send a young man off to Bible college and then on the strength of this - however good the teaching - expect him to take on a pastorate soon after.

Where is the necessary maturity and life experience as well as head-knowledge of the Bible?

Actually, I can't find any Church where people from many walks of life attend, the Churches I've been to during this year have pretty homogeneous people:
Ongoing, regular fellowship with believers from all walks of life and ages will widen the person's horizons.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure anyone who knows me views me as a young adult anymore:

I totally agree - even though I may not be clever enough to prove knowing much more than them:

Actually, I can't find any Church where people from many walks of life attend, the Churches I've been to during this year have pretty homogeneous people:

Sorry; I missed that you're 32! :)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been attending 8 AM mass and then a Lutheran service at 10 AM.

I LOVE it. Both churches are on very similar lectionaries, so I get to hear two sermons about the same parable. It's very, very interesting.

I worry that others may not like it but I really enjoy my system.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the most part I know a number of us go to the same church weekly but I was curious to see what is everyone's opinions on visiting more then 1 church? Like alternating between 2 different denominations week in & week out?

:thumbsup:

Doesn't seem like that would be conducive to healthy church membership. What does your pastor think of that?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have been attending 8 AM mass and then a Lutheran service at 10 AM.

I LOVE it. Both churches are on very similar lectionaries, so I get to hear two sermons about the same parable. It's very, very interesting.

I worry that others may not like it but I really enjoy my system.

How dare you actually listen to two sources and get a well rounded view.

You will not grow into someone totally unable to think for yourself. You will not be a nice docile lamb for any doctrine preached from the pulpit.

Ok sarcasm over. Honestly good for you, especially if when there seems to be a conflict between the 2 sermons you are willing to do the homework to make sense of it, which should include talking to at least your priest and most likely the Lutheran pastor too.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it's to find a church home, that makes sense. But to do it regularly, especially if you had kids, I think it would be a bit confusing.

I think part of the value of Acts 2.42 ('continued steadfastly...' etc.) is meeting regularly with the same group of Christians, with whom one shares convictions.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the most part I know a number of us go to the same church weekly but I was curious to see what is everyone's opinions on visiting more then 1 church? Like alternating between 2 different denominations week in & week out?

:thumbsup:

Well, the only way I can see where this would cause problems (on a spiritually level) is if the two churches are vastly different in religion. Like attending an Independent Baptist church one week and then the other week attending an Orthodox Jewish synagogue.

That could very well create confusion in one's mind in the long run.

I personally attend the same church about 90% of the time. The other percentage I attend an independent baptist church. I come from a baptist backround, so I generally agree on everything in most baptist churches. Though the church I attend pretty regularly is a Reformed Presbyterian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, the only way I can see where this would cause problems (on a spiritually level) is if the two churches are vastly different in religion. Like attending an Independent Baptist church one week and then the other week attending an Orthodox Jewish synagogue.

That could very well create confusion in one's mind in the long run.

I personally attend the same church about 90% of the time. The other percentage I attend an independent baptist church. I come from a baptist backround, so I generally agree on everything in most baptist churches. Though the church I attend pretty regularly is a Reformed Presbyterian.

Miss Spaulding: I always think it's good to remember that doctrine is what people declare to be true.

So it does matter what a local church's habitual doctrine is.

Blessings.

Upvote 0