Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I'm curious about Orthodoxy. What are non-Orthodox required to believe/do to become Orthodox? Are there any beliefs outside of the Creeds that are required for someone to become a member and receive the Lord's Supper?

In the Roman Catholic tradition, my understanding is that a person must agree to all Catholic church dogma to be in good standing and receive the Eucharist, in addition to confessing one's sins, being baptized, etc.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We certainly don't, like, go for a minimal approach here, and even if one did, it must be taken with the attitude, "I believe, O Lord, help my unbelief!" -- to submit to the fullness of the teaching of the Church.

In the Roman Catholic tradition, my understanding is that a person must agree to all Catholic church dogma to be in good standing and receive the Eucharist, in addition to confessing one's sins, being baptized, etc.
This is, roughly, true for us as well.

Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Normally, it's good to attend an EO church for a year so you experience a full liturgical cycle. If you are coming from a liturgical church, it might be a little shorter because you are already familiar with the cycle. At some point, you would talk to your priest able attending classes so that the Orthodox faith is explained in more detail. There is one woman at my parish who has been attending regularly for about 18 month and only now asked to be a catechumen. My wife and I (former Lutheran), jumped right in and were chrismated in about 5 months. I had only been Orthodox for a few weeks and got roped in to chanting during Holy Week when no one else was there for the Descent service on Good Friday.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We certainly don't, like, go for a minimal approach here, and even if one did, it must be taken with the attitude, "I believe, O Lord, help my unbelief!" -- to submit to the fullness of the teaching of the Church.

This is, roughly, true for us as well.
Interesting. In Orthodoxy, how does that work? You really don't have an official confession of faith, in the same way many Protestants do, so how can a person know if he or she has accepted enough of the church's teachings to be a member? I'm sure the local priest makes the determination, but based upon what criteria?

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. In Orthodoxy, how does that work? You really don't have an official confession of faith, in the same way many Protestants do, so how can a person know if he or she has accepted enough of the church's teachings to be a member? I'm sure the local priest makes the determination, but based upon what criteria?
The original Nicene-Constantinople creed is our basic confession of faith (without the Filioque).

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
so how can a person know if he or she has accepted enough of the church's teachings to be a member? I'm sure the local priest makes the determination, but based upon what criteria?
you start by living the life of the Church, so check out your closest Orthodox parish and see.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not a priest and have no pastoral responsibility, but it would probably be safe to say it's a pastoral decision after undergoing catechism that covers all the important stuff, that beyond believing the basics they desire to believe as the Church does in our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Though right belief is important, It is more important to have right attitude. Humility and willingness to change ourselves rather than the Church.
I think it was Saint Isaac the Syrian that said "Understanding comes through faith, rather than faith through understanding".
Having a heart willing to receive over a mind to trying to conceive. As said above, first step is find a church and experience a service.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Having a heart willing to receive over a mind to trying to conceive.
This also goes into why God is referred to as He - a masculine pronoun, and why the Church is a She - the feminine.
Feminine nature is to receive from the masculine, as a seed is planted into the fertile ground. But some ground can be rocky and unstable, so the teachings won't grow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Also I would note that within Orthodoxy there is a diversity of views, since much of the teaching of the Church consists of apophatic theology, essentially saying what God is not. Yet paradoxically Orthodoxy lacks the radical factionalism between liberal and conservative elements that currently characterizes the Roman Church, since the changes to the liturgy in 1969 under Pope Paul VI and the degradation of the Roman Rite from something exquisite to something that in its Ordinary Form is banal, would be impossible in Orthodoxy, insofar as if a church did that, they would cease to be Orthodox. Likewise a church would cease to be Orthodox if it capitulated to secular demands and abandoned the clear teaching of our Lord and His Apostles regarding the priesthood, abortion or human sexuality.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello. I'm curious about Orthodoxy. What are non-Orthodox required to believe/do to become Orthodox? Are there any beliefs outside of the Creeds that are required for someone to become a member and receive the Lord's Supper?

ACROD, which is one of the smaller Orthodox churches in North America, has a surprisingly good introduction to Orthodox doctrine:

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It goes far beyond the Nicene Creed. That is just the very first step. You have to accept that the Church, acoss space and time, in the consensue of the fathes and saints, is wiser than you. We all enter the Church with our own ideas and baggage and are not instantly cured of it. It is a lifelong process, and not everyone in the Church submits to it, but if you do, and allow that wisdom to correct you over time, them you can come closer to the mind of the Church.

One person might come in believing that it’s OK to “love” (sleep with) whoever one wants, another might believe that the Church ought to always accept and agree with the teachings of modern science, another might think “being green” is an essential part of being a Christian, another might think that some practices, like head scarves, are “patriarchal/oppressive”, or whatever. The key thing is to accept the authority of that consensus of the fathers. You begin by learning from your priest and asking him, and looking for other wise people who have been around a long time. But over time, you are also likely to find that sometimes, a priest or “old hand” has himself gone off the rails on something or other, and you can’t really know that until you learn what has always been taught, what all, or nearly all saints and fathers in history, have agreed on. When you see a hierarch contradicting THAT, you’ll know. But fortunately, if you allow for people’s fallibility, and sinfulness, and develop a spirit of charity, you’ll realize that pretty much none of us have achieved theosis, and we, as individuals, don’t know everything. You’re not entering a club of holy people, but of messed-up people, who, hopefully, realize that and are trying to repent as best they can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It goes far beyond the Nicene Creed. That is just the very first step. You have to accept that the Church, acoss space and time, in the consensue of the fathes and saints, is wiser than you. We all enter the Church with our own ideas and baggage and are not instantly cured of it. It is a lifelong process, and not everyone in the Church submits to it, but if you do, and allow that wisdom to correct you over time, them you can come closer to the mind of the Church.

One person might come in believing that it’s OK to “love” (sleep with) whoever one wants, another might believe that the Church ought to always accept and agree with the teachings of modern science, another might think “being green” is an essential part of bing a Christian, another might think that some practices, like head scarves, are “patriarchal/oppressive”, or whatever. The key thing is to accept the authority of that consensus of the fathers. You begin by learning from your priest and asking him, and looking for other wise people who have ben around a long time. But over time, you are also likely to find that sometimes, a priest or “old hand” has himself gone off the rails on something or other, and you can’t really know that until you learn what hs always ben taught, what all, or nearly all saints and fathers in history, have agreed on. When you see a hierarch contradicting THAT, you’ll know. But fortunately, if you allow for people’s fallibility, and sinfulness, and develop a spirit of charity, you’ll realize that pretty much none of us have achieved theosis, and we, as individuals, don’t know everything. You’re not entering a club of holy people, but of messed-up people, who, hopefully, realize that and are trying to repent as best they can.

Fortunately most Orthodox I know and know of are not as stupid as the examples you give. I know of only two Orthodox clergy for example who made remarks endorsing homosexuality and both nearly were deposed because of it (one was already retired anyway but was formally forbidden from discussing the issue). Both were in my jurisdiction, the OCA, embarrassingly enough, but the majority of OCA clergy are very much Orthodox. I also have had very positive experiences with Antioch and ROCOR.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
indeed, Orthodoxy is a life to be lived, not merely a set of precepts to affirm.

The longer I’ve been Orthodox the more I’ve enjoyed it, and I have loved every minute.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately most Orthodox I know and know of are not as stupid as the examples you give. I know of only two Orthodox clergy for example who made remarks endorsing homosexuality and both nearly were deposed because of it (one was already retired anyway but was formally forbidden from discussing the issue). Both were in my jurisdiction, the OCA, embarrassingly enough, but the majority of OCA clergy are very much Orthodox. I also have had very positive experiences with Antioch and ROCOR.
I’m glad you’ve had such good experience. I haven’t been so lucky.
I think it’s good for a person coming into the Church to understand in advance that he mustn’t place his hopes on people, even priests and bishops, for all are bound to disappoint in something sooner or later. The Church is holy, but the people in it are Fallen.
Leaving aside my own experience with other people in internetodoxy, even here in TAW, I have encountered plenty of direct examples of people who believe and even practice in contradiction to our Tradition and the consensus of the fathers personally, including friends and family members.

We have to desire to adopt the mind of the Church, and allow it to correct our own minds and hearts over time. Some people really think they know better, though.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Normally, it's good to attend an EO church for a year so you experience a full liturgical cycle. If you are coming from a liturgical church, it might be a little shorter because you are already familiar with the cycle. At some point, you would talk to your priest able attending classes so that the Orthodox faith is explained in more detail. There is one woman at my parish who has been attending regularly for about 18 month and only now asked to be a catechumen. My wife and I (former Lutheran), jumped right in and were chrismated in about 5 months. I had only been Orthodox for a few weeks and got roped in to chanting during Holy Week when no one else was there for the Descent service on Good Friday.

Ha ha! Father must have heard you singing in with the rest of the faithful and said, "Now there's a voice we can use."

Something similar happened to me. I was still a catechumen when Fr. David asked me one day if I was a singer. When I told him I was, he said "We need tenors" and pointed to the choir stand. Been singing ever since and love it.

Upvote 0