Site Supporter
Oct 25, 2013
USA
✟50,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read countless Christian books about how your sins are forgiven at the cross of Christ, but I have not read any counsel about how to overcome mistakes or errors that you made that were not sins, but things you did by accident that nonetheless cause you to experience shame, guilt, insecurity and sometimes sorrow and regret. I have read and heard Denise Pass' Shame off You message, but still react with hurt and shame if I have accidently done something in error especially if the person I accidently made a mistake towards is unforgiving, not showing me mercy or grace as a result. Satan is the accuser of the brethren. Even if it was an innocent error, it can still be made to cause me to feel as if I committed a major sinful offense. The fact that I am reacting to innocent accidents with shame and guilt and lack of peace about myself is a symptom that I still have unresolved hurts and guilt, not being at peace with who I am and brokenheartedness and brokenness that has not been dealt with. I know that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus and I suppose the Christian thing to do if you make a mistake or do something in error or even experience failure that is not due to sin despite doing your best, is to make amends as best as you can, and move on since you did not commit a sin. For me however, it's not so easy. Why? What message of hope and reassurance does God have for those who feel condemned, shamed and disgraced due to non-sinful errors they made? What is wrong with my heart that I would feel so condemned over a non-sin mistake? You still feel accused for wrongdoing when you've made an accidental mistake whether major or minor. I have unresolved hurts and pain obviously and as a matter of fact, I have been praying to God that He address the greatest cause of my pain at it's root. Maybe that's what He's doing now. I need to really be healed this time around, so what message of reassurance does God have that he will give grace and favor to those people who are feeling shame over a non-sin mistake that appears serious in their eyes?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read countless Christian books about how your sins are forgiven at the cross of Christ, but I have not read any counsel about how to overcome mistakes or errors that you made that were not sins, but things you did by accident that nonetheless cause you to experience shame, guilt, insecurity and sometimes sorrow and regret. I have read and heard Denise Pass' Shame off You message, but still react with hurt and shame if I have accidently done something in error especially if the person I accidently made a mistake towards is unforgiving, not showing me mercy or grace as a result. Satan is the accuser of the brethren. Even if it was an innocent error, it can still be made to cause me to feel as if I committed a major sinful offense. The fact that I am reacting to innocent accidents with shame and guilt and lack of peace about myself is a symptom that I still have unresolved hurts and guilt, not being at peace with who I am and brokenheartedness and brokenness that has not been dealt with. I know that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus and I suppose the Christian thing to do if you make a mistake or do something in error or even experience failure that is not due to sin despite doing your best, is to make amends as best as you can, and move on since you did not commit a sin. For me however, it's not so easy. Why? What message of hope and reassurance does God have for those who feel condemned, shamed and disgraced due to non-sinful errors they made? What is wrong with my heart that I would feel so condemned over a non-sin mistake? You still feel accused for wrongdoing when you've made an accidental mistake whether major or minor. I have unresolved hurts and pain obviously and as a matter of fact, I have been praying to God that He address the greatest cause of my pain at it's root. Maybe that's what He's doing now. I need to really be healed this time around, so what message of reassurance does God have that he will give grace and favor to those people who are feeling shame over a non-sin mistake that appears serious in their eyes?
Let’s call mistakes what they are. Sins.

Prayer and worship bring us closer to Christ and walk in the Holy Spirit thus exposing our failures...sins.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What is wrong with my heart that I would feel so condemned over a non-sin mistake?
The Bible has a lot to say that deals with the problem of guilt, shame, and condemnation. It's a question of finding the root cause of the problem and then applying Bible truth to it.

"Love covers a multitude of sins." If we know we are loved, we have a feeling of security. Eph 1 says we are "accepted in the Beloved". Romans 8 tells us nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus, and that we have not been given a spirit of slavery, leading to fear again, but rather, a spirit of adoption by which we cry out, "Abba, Father!".

Paul is a great example. He persecuted the church even unto death, and yet his take on his past is very telling. He acknowledged it, but saw God's hand in using it him as an example of mercy.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service,
even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief;
and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are [found] in Christ Jesus.
It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost [of all.]
Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, [be] honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. -1Tim 1
Notice that Paul's sin, though it has to be mentioned, is not the point. The focus is on God's abundant mercy and grace. Paul had a grace perspective, not sin consciousness, and this is what set his heart free. True to his own advice at Php 3 and 4, he did not allow the past to hold him back - which would have added sin to sin - but put it behind him and strove forward to apprehend the fullness of what Christ had purchased for him. And when things got tough, he consciously turned his attention to how wonderful the Lord is and rejoiced in him. It was a protection (ch 4).

I think that most often it's when we doubt God's love that we're most susceptible to the fiery darts of guilt, shame, and condemnation. They keep us from being all we can be and doing all we can do in God. This is why the Bible stresses over and over the need to remain in the love of God and to guard our hearts from anything that would move us off center. We also need to guard our faith, because we have "be it done to you according to your faith". Faith is the channel through which grace is normally received.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Romans 5:8
8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Luke 23:34
But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.

And so it is. Accept it. Believe it. If confessed (small or big sin) with a sincere heart and give it (sin) to God don't take it back.

satan is playing with your mind placing doubt and will continue to do so. reply with this

Away from me Satan in the name of Jesus ... for it is written

Galatians 2:20

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Jesus fights the battles .... and has already won .... Amen!

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Like some of the other posters, I'm confused by what a non-sin mistake that causes shame and regret, is supposed to refer to.

A spelling error, is a non-sin mistake. I haven't met anyone that felt shame and regret over a spelling error.

So the answer for you depends on what this 'non-sin mistake' is. Because if it is really just sin, then the first thing you need for real healing is to call sin, sin. It is to accept that you are sinning, and you need to stop.

But if this really isn't sin, and you fretting over spelling errors or something similarly non-sinful... then you are in effect acting arrogantly. You are expecting yourself to be perfect, and you are not perfect. And that gap between your unrealistic expectation of perfection, and the reality that you are merely human, is causing this self-inflicted grief and shame.

Stop. You are just a human, like the rest of us. You can't be perfect, and you need to stop pretending that you should be.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you did something by accident that was not a sin then I don't see a reason to feel guilt or shame about it. It was an accident.

Jesus Christ is merciful and forgiving. " ' I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' " Matthew 9:13 (ESV). We are not perfect but are in the process of sanctification and perfection. Please be merciful to yourself and forgiving as Christ has been merciful and forgiving to you. I pray for healing of your heart and mind and that the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ, which surpasseth all understanding, be with you.

Upvote 0

Mike Czaj

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Ashley, PA
✟118,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Bible has a lot to say about GROWING in grace. I believe it would be beneficial for you to explore what it has to say to encourage us. I believe growth is more than just not yielding to sin, but learning to be wise, sensitive, confident and loving. I know seeing that perspective has helped my walk with Jesus.

Upvote 0

ValorWoman4Jesus

Site Supporter
Oct 25, 2013
USA
✟50,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like some of the other posters, I'm confused by what a non-sin mistake that causes shame and regret, is supposed to refer to.

A spelling error, is a non-sin mistake. I haven't met anyone that felt shame and regret over a spelling error.

So the answer for you depends on what this 'non-sin mistake' is. Because if it is really just sin, then the first thing you need for real healing is to call sin, sin. It is to accept that you are sinning, and you need to stop.

But if this really isn't sin, and you fretting over spelling errors or something similarly non-sinful... then you are in effect acting arrogantly. You are expecting yourself to be perfect, and you are not perfect. And that gap between your unrealistic expectation of perfection, and the reality that you are merely human, is causing this self-inflicted grief and shame.

Stop. You are just a human, like the rest of us. You can't be perfect, and you need to stop pretending that you should be.
Thank you. I needed that.

Upvote 0

ValorWoman4Jesus

Site Supporter
Oct 25, 2013
USA
✟50,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you did something by accident that was not a sin then I don't see a reason to feel guilt or shame about it. It was an accident.

Jesus Christ is merciful and forgiving. " ' I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' " Matthew 9:13 (ESV). We are not perfect but are in the process of sanctification and perfection. Please be merciful to yourself and forgiving as Christ has been merciful and forgiving to you. I pray for healing of your heart and mind and that the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ, which surpasseth all understanding, be with you.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟737,752.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The general answer is as the bible says "pray that you enter not into temptation, for the spirit is willing but the flesh weak".

There are a few things that prayer enables, it can give us insight, the bible says:

Ecc 2:13-14 Then I saw that there is more gain in wisdom than in folly, as there is more gain in light than in darkness. The wise person has his eyes in his head, but the fool walks in darkness.

We can some times see trouble coming and avoid it, due to our sharpness in the Spirit. Also we need to stop and think how each of our actions will effect us and others:

Pro 14:15-16 Don't be stupid and believe all you hear; be smart and know where you are headed. Only a stupid fool is never cautious— so be extra careful and stay out of trouble.

Thinking through an action and how it has made us feel in the past could be a good way to avoid a mistake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
but still react with hurt and shame if I have accidently done something in error especially if the person I accidently made a mistake towards is unforgiving, not showing me mercy or grace as a result.

If you have asked for forgiveness from a Christian and they will not forgive or forget, they are breaking Jesus's command to forgive a brother who asks for forgiveness.

I would suggest that you comit shuch situations to God and ask for the grace to accept Gods peace about it and to trust in Gods forgiveness.
Then have as little to do as possible with such a cruel and hateful person.

What message of hope and reassurance does God have for those who feel condemned, shamed and disgraced due to non-sinful errors they made?

God's message to us all is the same and is found in 1John 1 v 9
If we confess our failings/sins to him. He(God) is faithfull and just and will forgive us our failings/sins and purefy us from all unrightousness.

God has fealt with your failings.
Please pray for the grace to believe him.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes mistakes, errors and failures happen in our life to strengthen our character and make us mature.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

8 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9

If you follow the Lord, love Him, work for Him and be obedient to Him I guess He will turn even your shame into your glory.
“Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame.
Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated.
You will forget the shame of your youth
and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.

5 For your Maker is your husband
the Lord Almighty is his name—
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
he is called the God of all the earth. Isaiah 54:4-5

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This book may help enlighten you dear one..

Upvote 0

caring 2018

Oct 8, 2018
Alachua County
✟13,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a spiritual battle that happens in our lives. The closer we get to God the more Satan tries to pull us away. However, God is greater and He loves us so much. Our flesh is weak but the spirit is strong. Every day you have to put on the armor of God to stay strong in the spirit. God gives us the tools to stay strong, we can't do it on our own strength. God gives us mercy and grace. He understands that we are fallen people. We will unfortunately, sin often through our day. However, that is why God loved us so much that He sent His one and only son to die on the cross for our sins. I can't even imagine that type of love. God does not want us to feel bad about our sins (mistakes) he just wants us to repent and ask for forgiveness. He wants us to grow in the spirit, live a life of peace and not focus on our mistakes, but focus on Him and his love for us. That is why we have the Holy Spirit in us to comfort us and guide us. We can be our worst enemy, being so hard on ourselves, but that is not from God, that is from our enemy. You have to rebuke the enemy and tell him he will not win. God is the winner and the Glory. Hallelujah! Here is an amazing resource I recommend you watch. It is from Priscilla Shrirer - she was in War Games. If you have not seen that movie, it is a blessing. It really shows the amazing power of prayer. Also, she has a study called
The Armor of God." I recommend you go through that study. There are seven session, and a study you can buy. It will help you understand that it is a spiritual battle, but you have already won the battle through Jesus Christ. Don't be so hard on yourself, the only perfect person was Jesus. We will struggle with sin, however, praise God we can repent and know we are forgiven. I will be praying that you really feel the spirit in you. That you are not hard on yourself and know God loves you so much he does not want you to feel bad but instead feel peace and His love. I hope this helps. I am always available to talk. I have struggled through my life with the similar concerns. It actually caused me depression, but through the Holy Spirit I learned I don't need to be so hard on myself. That I am not not perfect, that is OK, I strive to be like Jesus, but I can't do that on my own. Through prayer, reading the bible, and opening my heart to God, I am learning more of more of what it is to be like Christ. I love you my sister. God Bless.

Reactions: Lost55
Upvote 0

Lost55

Nov 24, 2018
Yorkshire
✟15,606.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a spiritual battle that happens in our lives. The closer we get to God the more Satan tries to pull us away. However, God is greater and He loves us so much. Our flesh is weak but the spirit is strong. Every day you have to put on the armor of God to stay strong in the spirit. God gives us the tools to stay strong, we can't do it on our own strength. God gives us mercy and grace. He understands that we are fallen people. We will unfortunately, sin often through our day. However, that is why God loved us so much that He sent His one and only son to die on the cross for our sins. I can't even imagine that type of love. God does not want us to feel bad about our sins (mistakes) he just wants us to repent and ask for forgiveness. He wants us to grow in the spirit, live a life of peace and not focus on our mistakes, but focus on Him and his love for us. That is why we have the Holy Spirit in us to comfort us and guide us. We can be our worst enemy, being so hard on ourselves, but that is not from God, that is from our enemy. You have to rebuke the enemy and tell him he will not win. God is the winner and the Glory. Hallelujah! Here is an amazing resource I recommend you watch. It is from Priscilla Shrirer - she was in War Games. If you have not seen that movie, it is a blessing. It really shows the amazing power of prayer. Also, she has a study called
The Armor of God." I recommend you go through that study. There are seven session, and a study you can buy. It will help you understand that it is a spiritual battle, but you have already won the battle through Jesus Christ. Don't be so hard on yourself, the only perfect person was Jesus. We will struggle with sin, however, praise God we can repent and know we are forgiven. I will be praying that you really feel the spirit in you. That you are not hard on yourself and know God loves you so much he does not want you to feel bad but instead feel peace and His love. I hope this helps. I am always available to talk. I have struggled through my life with the similar concerns. It actually caused me depression, but through the Holy Spirit I learned I don't need to be so hard on myself. That I am not not perfect, that is OK, I strive to be like Jesus, but I can't do that on my own. Through prayer, reading the bible, and opening my heart to God, I am learning more of more of what it is to be like Christ. I love you my sister. God Bless.

Why do I feel so cursed and guilty? If I’m truly saved then why don’t I feel that peace. I’m in a huge spiritual battle. I can feel it, I’m just afraid everything I do displeases god when I’m trying to please him. I’m coming up against so many coincidences that make me think I’m
Been punished, there’s so many stumbling blocks stopping me from feeling at ease.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love Jesus and want to think and feel like I’m forgiven but there’s something stopping me from this happening. I can’t forgive myself.

I would pray that the Lord free you from slavery to unforgiveness and that you understand in your innermost being that you are forgiven. I pray this for you as well. Maybe also ask the Lord to show you why there is a blockage to forgiving yourself. You are already forgiven.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even if I’ve broken all 10 commandments? I’ve had 2 abortions when I was younger which i class as murder. I also got horrible thoughts about my Nan when she was on her deathbed. I can’t forgive myself x

Even if you broke all 10 commandments ten times each if you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, that he was incarnated, that he died and rose on the third day in power and died for your sins you are forgiven.

I will only speak for myself and say I have all kinds of horrible thoughts but we must rebuke these things in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. May you have the assurance and peace that is in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0