What are the reasons you think atheism is a rising trend?

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The most obvious is the media: when you turn on your TV, you see a show like South Park making fun of religion. That, alone, is enough to spawn over a million kids in this country to follow their friends and pretend to act like atheists.

South Park has also made fun of atheism, IIRC.

The second most obvious is people are playing follow the leader, without giving it much thought.

Don't forget that the Church has something very similar.

Why do you think atheism is a rising trend? You can't say something like "more people are being educated" or some claim like that because it doesn't matter how much knowledge you know, anyone who is thinking knows a world can't come from nothing.

I suggest you look at the latest research into Quantum Mechanics.

Atheists are really trying to act like they're intelligent, but are being fools at the same time.

No need for ad hominem attacks...

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
Mississippi but I live in VA
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Reply Variant 1

First, I want evidence that the Bible claims that there are no atheists. Second, I want you to consider that the Bible might actually have a mistake in it. Third, I want you to understand that all infants, toddlers and very small children are atheists because they do not have the cognitive capacity for any such concept of "god" or "goddess."

Theism = With theistic belief
Atheism = Without theistic belief
Baseballism = With belief in baseball
Abaseballism = Without belief in baseball

You see, it's not so difficult to comprehend, is it? Very small children are atheists and abaseballists. THE HORROR.

Reply Variant 2:

LOL.. k thx bai
Basically you want me to see the world the way you do.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
You are 21 and you do not know that everything done in the name of God is not of God? Not everybody who claims Christianity is Christian.

You missed by point. I don't care if someone's Christian - it isn't Christian-like to critique a faith and declare it complete hogwash just because you don't believe it's possible.

Don't get me wrong - there are atheists who are obnoxious, but the vice versa - of uppity Christians who name call without a filter are equally and sadly as common.

Some find inner peace [or whatever you want to call it] through Christianity. Some find their answers through Islam. Others find some purpose through atheism. It's all personal, and for Christians - when we're all sinners - to claim an atheist is lost, or a sinner because they don't believe, or going through a phase - just comes off so high and mighty.

You keep missing the whole point. I explained it all in my previous post.

You haven't made a point other than to say atheism doesn't exist because atheists are lost. Though being lost doesn't nessecarily negate existence, but if you'd like to believe it does... uh, go ahead.

There is nothing you can say to contradict it. Atheists are those that know of God, but suppress the truth. That's the sad truth.

Not nessecarily suppressing. Everyone's truth and their interpretation is different. Pitying Atheists or declaring them lost or stupid isn't nessecary.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I didn't say atheists don't exists because they are lost. I said they don't exist because that's what God says.

Then I will go with Vigilante who asked for the Bible passage that clearly declares atheists do not exist.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
19because (A)that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For (B)since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, (C)being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21For even though they knew God, they did not [a]honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became (D)futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:19-21

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
19because (A)that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For (B)since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, (C)being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21For even though they knew God, they did not [a]honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became (D)futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:19-21

That doesn't say atheism or atheists doesn't exist. Moreso that it is a conscious choice to become or identify as an atheist or unbeliever.

Which I don't think anyone has suggested it's not a conscience choice to claim religious afflifiation of any sort, so I'm not quite sure what point this passage actually refutes.

Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It clearly says that God is evident to them. It doesn't have to say atheists. You are trying to explain it away. The text is clear.

Hey, you know what really clears up a text? The context. Something you failed to provide. Paul's letter goes on;

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 1&version=9;

I have never worshipped any other deity, nor have I layed with any men (or even felt inclined to), nor have I done any of the things Paul mentions. So who is Paul referring to? Easy, the Roman society itself.

The context also makes it clear that these are Paul's words and not God's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You can try to explain it away to soothe your conscience

My irony-meter just exploded.

but the context doesn't take anything away from the meaning of the text.

You're right it, it doesnt. Context is where the meaning is derived. Only thing corrupting it is your own bias forcing you to cherry pick verses out of its context.

Upvote 0

Vigilante

Cherry 7-Up is still the best
Oct 19, 2006
In limbo
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

With respect, I don't think you have the power to defeat a

brick-wall.jpg

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

You're right it, it doesnt. Context is where the meaning is derived. Only thing corrupting it is your own bias forcing you to cherry pick verses out of its context.

Again you have said basically nothing. The scripture speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It clearly says that God is evident to them. It doesn't have to say atheists. You are trying to explain it away. The text is clear.

If the Pastafarian texts said, "And lo, all things made by the Flying Spaghetti Monster shall speak of his greatness, and all things shall speak of the wonders that he has performed. All shall know by his works that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the true master of all the lands, and the sky, and the heavens above where dwelleth the stars that shine for all time," would you take this as evidence that the FSM doesn't believe in Christians, and therefore Christians don't exist?

Of course not.

Quoting Bible passages isn't going to sway the minds of atheists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How does it not fit? Quotes from a religious text will not influence people who do not believe that the religious text in question is the truth, whether that text be the Bible or or the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

And I can just as easily say, "I'm just presenting the truth. The Flying Spaghetti Monster opens the hearts."

Besides, even though you said, " You can try to explain it away to soothe your conscience but the context doesn't take anything away from the meaning of the text" to say that the opposing viewpoint isn't right, I can say to you that you have interpretted the text in a way that "soothes your conscience" as well.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Again, I wasn't trying to influence you. I was presenting the truth about atheism.

And I can just as easily say, "I'm just presenting the truth. The Flying Spaghetti Monster opens the hearts."
My message was for the Christians, not for you.

Upvote 0