What are the reasons you think atheism is a rising trend?

Xenon

Aug 11, 2007
Schaumburg, Illinois
✟15,675.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Why is atheism a rising trend? There is very little focus on what God has already given us in the Bible.

As a God who said, For I am the LORD, I change not (Malachi 3:6), He will not contradict Himself. If God tells us anything, then it is sure. So, if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. (Isaiah 8:20) If we would encourage people to go to the Bible for what God wants us to do, they could see for themselves whether they are following God or not. More than that, they can see what others do and compare it to what God has given us to see if they are also faithful. Paul tells us to do this when he says, Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

Amos 3:7 tells us that, Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets. Need proof that the Bible holds the word of God? The prophecies can help with that. Actually, prophecies make up over 20% of the Bible (27%, if I remember correctly). While most are in the Old Testament and applied to various judgments that God passed on Israel, books like Daniel give something more relevant. For example, Daniel 2 predicts over 1000 years of time. It isn't a vague one either; Daniel clearly explains the start point (head of gold = Babylon), what would come next (chest of silver = Medo-Persia), and what was to come (a later chapter reveals that after Medo-Persia, Greece was the next empire to come, the thighs of bronze). Given this, it's easy to see that Rome is next (legs of iron), followed by a divided Europe into 10 tribes (feet of iron and clay, with 10 toes). And that's just one chapter! If interpreted carefully, the prophecies predict what will happen until the coming of Christ....and after!

I'd say more, but that would take way too long. Put simply, if we were all directed to the Bible as a basis of our knowledge of God, we'd have much fewer problems among anyone, Christians or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Vendetta

Convert to the RCC
Nov 4, 2008
Michigan
✟16,831.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard a quote once by a man (I don't know who it was) but I think he explained it well.

"The greatest single cause of Atheism in the world today is Christians; who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle! That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelieveable!"

Harsh, but in my opinion; true!

Brennan Manning. I actually read through 4 pages to see if anybody had used the quote yet. I was going to myself. We're so quick to point the finger at others. The problem is us. We are a church in exile because we have embraced what Jesus has told us to reject. We grabbed for power, and we took control of the empires. And with our power over the law, we lost our effective use of love.

That is the cause of atheism.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Brennan Manning. I actually read through 4 pages to see if anybody had used the quote yet. I was going to myself. We're so quick to point the finger at others. The problem is us. We are a church in exile because we have embraced what Jesus has told us to reject. We grabbed for power, and we took control of the empires. And with our power over the law, we lost our effective use of love.

That is the cause of atheism.

I think that we forgot where we came from; the morals and freedoms that we have in our countries is because of the faith of those who formed it into the great nations that they are! We have left the heritage of our faith, insulted those who began those nations on the Word of God, and now, what else do we expect to happen?? As the scriptures say, We have left our first Love!

Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first Love.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's music, or video games, or anything like that, but rather just society. It was foretold this would happen, and it's easy to see how it has to me. A lot of it is sadly due to other Christians, IMO, who have used religion to their advantage and turned many against them in general, giving them false impressions of the religion.

Reactions: Trashionista
Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be alot of ignorace as to what atheism is in the historical sense. Its important to remember that word itself encompasses the rejection of any god/gods dominant in a particular society. Keeping it strictly to the history, christians were some of the first atheists, so "why the rise in atheism", is makes no sense as the term itself is effectly a category for any theological minority.

The concept of atheism on the otherhand, has its origins prior to the roman coining of the term. Disbelief existed prior to religion (lacking the ability to conceptualize automatically disqualifies for associative concepts like belief).

To summarize, the term atheism has historically been a slur synonymous with theological minority. Only recently has it become a reactive term (~200-100yrs ago). The treatment of 'atheists' as a homogenous group then is little more than ignorance about the history of the concept of the word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
No it doesn't. I will take the bible over your common sense any day.

I go on to AmIAnnoying.com and type in "Atheist" and a result - whaddya know? Actually will pertaining to atheism - will pop up.

I'm pretty sure it's the same situation with Wikipedia.

Neither of those are the most unbiased source. But clearly, the entire internet using world must have common sense that's off then.

Which I doubt, but you are free to live in the delusion that atheists do not exist and that atheism is just some abstract, made-up concept that doesn't exist just as bisexuality supposedly doesn't exist.

But there's a point when common sense with personal experience [i.e. people posting "I'm an Atheist!" on a message board] has to suggest warping a Bible passage to suggest atheists don't exist probably doesn't apply to well to real life.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
Mississippi but I live in VA
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say bisexuality doesn't exist.
I said atheism doesn't exist because God says everyone has knowledge of Him but there are those that suppress the truth in unrighteousness. In other words, because they choose their sin over Him, they choose to deny His existence that they know of. Your sources cannot explain that away. Your common sense cannot explain that away. That's a reality. If you deny it, then you deny God's word. That's fine, but atleast you know now what you are denying.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I didn't say bisexuality doesn't exist.

There are similarities in the fallacies of your argument towards atheism's non-existence as there are to the arguments that suggest bisexuality's non-existence.

I said atheism doesn't exist because God says everyone has knowledge of Him but their are those that suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

I wonder then, how you'd explain atheists in nations where Christianity isn't the dominant religion? While you can say globalization and the internet may have brought along greater, more common, world-wide knowledge, you can't say everyone has knowlegde of god.

Maybe a supreme being, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

In other words, because they choose their sin over Him, they choose to deny His existence that they know of.

Considering the amount of sins Christians commit in the name of God, I don't think any Christian is in much place to comment on why the motivations for atheism are wrong or sinful.

Your sources cannot explain that away.

http://amiannoying.com/(S(kpupox45vynhvf45xpfw3jyd))/view.aspx?ID=6750

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Your common sense cannot explain that away.

Really? And yet...

I'm aware who Dawkins is. And that he's an Atheist.
And there's an Atheist group on campus.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
Mississippi but I live in VA
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Considering the amount of sins Christians commit in the name of God,
You are 21 and you do not know that everything done in the name of God is not of God? Not everybody who claims Christianity is Christian.

Really? And yet...

I'm aware who Dawkins is. And that he's an Atheist.
And there's an Atheist group on campus.
You keep missing the whole point. I explained it all in my previous post.

There is nothing you can say to contradict it. Atheists are those that know of God, but suppress the truth. That's the sad truth.

Upvote 0

Vigilante

Cherry 7-Up is still the best
Oct 19, 2006
In limbo
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The bible teaches there are no atheists.

Reply Variant 1

First, I want evidence that the Bible claims that there are no atheists. Second, I want you to consider that the Bible might actually have a mistake in it. Third, I want you to understand that all infants, toddlers and very small children are atheists because they do not have the cognitive capacity for any such concept of "god" or "goddess."

Theism = With theistic belief
Atheism = Without theistic belief
Baseballism = With belief in baseball
Abaseballism = Without belief in baseball

You see, it's not so difficult to comprehend, is it? Very small children are atheists and abaseballists. THE HORROR.

Reply Variant 2:

LOL.. k thx bai

Upvote 0