What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity?

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
Sky: "We are sinners, we remain sinners after we are saved. No matter what sins we have committed in the past or in the future, God does not "unforgive" us and Jesus does not "un-die" then die again later."

Jesus died to bless us and turn us from sin, do you want to read even the beginning of the faith ?

I do not mind whether you respond, or do not respond to me, because you do not even have the first inclination of belief in the righteousness of Christ rising from the dead to eternal life for us, to quicken us together with Him, is from sin. I am more than adequate therefore, to know how to defend the Gospel, as maybe some have seen while I am here and why I was here for a while.

Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Upvote 0

covid-19v1

Dec 18, 2020
Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"In other words" is when you need to distort a source. You may complain about what (specific) people have said if you wish.

We are sinners, we remain sinners after we are saved. No matter what sins we have committed in the past or in the future, God does not "unforgive" us and Jesus does not "un-die" then die again later.

There is no "Easy Forgiveness" where God only forgives the small sins then uses "Take-Backs!" when we sin again.
You don't understand what takes place in the salvation process. Salvation is not an accept and forget kind of deal.

Even though good works nor sinlessness is not a requirement in salvation, good works is the fruit of it.

Salvation is part of becoming a member of God's family. A person becomes a part of God's family when he/she is born in the spirit (John 3:5-7). A saved person is spritually a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17), and God gives that person a new desire that doesn't come from the flesh. God's power is not limited to saving your soul. He stays with you like a parent nurtures a baby.

To the real Christians, good works are not chores. Christians do good works not to become saved, but because they are saved. It doesn't mean they no longer commit any sin. But sin is no longer enjoyable to them.

Good works are evidence that allow Christians to identify each other.

Reactions: Rapture Bound
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvific Doctrines would include but not limited to the following :

1- The Trinity
2- The Deity of Christ- the Son of God
3- The humanity of Christ- the son of man
4- The gospel
5- The Bodily Resurrection, Ascension and 2nd Coming
6- Salvation by grace through faith apart from works- good work are the result of salvation not the means to salvation. Grace and faith are those means. Eph 2:8-10
7- The future Judgment of all mankind
8- The afterlife- heaven/hell
9- All men are sinners
10- Inerrancy

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a novel idea ….

Verify the doctrine with the Written Word of God.

If the doctrine is written in the Word…. and only 1 person agrees

But a million people disagree with that specific doctrine.

Go with the 1

Either going with the million or the one would be logically fallacious, an example of an Appeal to Authority.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Neither one would be an appeal to authority.

How do you figure? Appealing to popularity is an appeal to authority, as is appealing to a minority consent. It is not a rational decision.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you figure? Appealing to popularity is an appeal to authority, as is appealing to a minority consent. It is not a rational decision.

Neither is an appeal to authority.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never say good works only come from Christians. I was saying real Christians will produce good works.
I dunno about that. They might. They might not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity? To be more precise, I'm looking for examples of doctrines which are:
  • objectively popular, i.e., there is a significant amount of Christians who believe in this doctrine.
  • objectively controversial, i.e., there is a significant amount of other Christians who reject this doctrine for different reasons, and it is not uncommon for debates to ensue when the doctrine or its rejection are brought up in the presence of an opposing party.
Answers that substantiate claims of controversy with objective statistics would be preferred.

Note: for the purposes of this question, to disambiguate the meaning of significant amount of Christians let's assume that if a doctrine is defended by at least 1 million Christians and rejected by at least 1 million other Christians, then it is objectively popular and controversial.

Note 2: given the potential combinatorial explosion of comparisons between different denominations, I would suggest that answerers define their own 'controversy scores' to help them rank controversies. One option could be to sum the numbers of Christians for and against the doctrine, or use the minimum between the two, etc. Another criterion to rank controversies could be the degree of importance attributed to the doctrine by the defending party (or to its rejection by the antagonist side). For example, if the doctrine or its rejection is considered essential for salvation by either party, that should definitely add bonus points to the controversy score. An answer listing the "top 5" or "top 10" doctrinal controversies according to a criterion thus defined would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Note 3: another way to identify (and justify) the existence of doctrinal controversies is by finding examples of public organized debates between notable apologists representing the different positions in dispute. For example, see Debating the Eucharist // Cameron Bertuzzi vs. Matt Fradd.
Christ, as actual Lord; obedience to Him is rejected wholesale by every single commercial church, without exception: that is the most hotly debated issue, and the crux of all heresies, period.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ, as actual Lord; obedience to Him is rejected wholesale by every single commercial church, without exception: that is the most hotly debated issue, and the crux of all heresies, period.
I can't think of any such churches. Which ones are you referring to?
And what groups are the best? Or do you not really have any data?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... and last that immediately comes to mind is homosexuality (has and continues to split Christian organizations, debate).
Great post, thanks.

I think this topic quoted above will be the next HUGE issue for the church to contend with. On the level of women in leadership. We have seen a 180 degree reversal on women in church leadership in the last 50 years. I think attitudes about homosexuality will follow the same course.

There was a forum topic not too long about Gracepointe church in Nashville. (link below) I took the time to hear them out. It was very educational. This is a huge and complex issue that the church needs to deal with.

Gracepointe Church in Nashville says the Bible is not the word of God

https://www.gracepointe.net/about-us

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Either going with the million or the one would be logically fallacious, an example of an Appeal to Authority.
I have to disagree with you here. "going with the million" is the "Bandwagon fallacy." or "argument from popularity."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
The most debated doctrine in Christianity, is the doctrine of Christ, why else are you guys debating and discussing it, on a Christian forum, but because you do that much vanity and danger to yourselves, I KNOW NOTHING CAN SHUT THE MOUTH OF THE PROUD..

Luke 2:34 And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In all seriousness, the most controversial topics...or maybe the ones that have the most potential effect on someone and their salvation, is debating who authored what and if it was truly divinely inspired (answer decided almost 2000 years ago...but we know better than they apparently.) and the belief that everyone goes to heaven after a trip through the flames of hell which refines them into a new creation.

Upvote 0