beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
No we dont. No one has the right to a service provided by another. A doctor is not your servant and you are not his master. That is a fact that you are just going to have to come to grips with.
Fundamental rights aside, do you think our current healthcare system is in need of reform? Why or why not?

What is the best way to provide food? What is the best way to provide clothing? What is the best way to provide and pay for any good or service? The free market.
I assume you mean that the government should not be involved in providing goods and services -- because if the government provides it, then you've got something other than the free market at work, is that right?

So do you think we should eliminate fire departments and let the free market take care of things the next time a five alarm blaze breaks out at a crowded apartment complex? How about police services, should we leave that to the free market as well? And building and maintaining the nation's highways and bridges -- free market? When do you think is the right time to shut down all the state universities?

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Fundamental rights aside, do you think our current healthcare system is in need of reform? Why or why not?

From the perspective of most conservatives, well, CEOs, trust fund kiddies and the Forbes 500 can get the best medical care money can buy. Ergo, there's no problem with the American health care system. If poor people can't afford it, our gene pool needs cleaning anyway.

Upvote 0

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As Americans we have a fundamental right to the best health care that can be provided the questions are what are the best ways to provide it and pay for it ?

Nonsense. As Americans we have the right to find our own way and be free to buy insurance or not. Provide your own insurance and while you're at it, eat healthy and exercise and don't expect others to pay for your diabetes meds when you blow up to 350 lbs eating junk and laying on the sofa.

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nonsense. As Americans we have the right to find our own way and be free to buy insurance or not. Provide your own insurance and while you're at it, eat healthy and exercise and don't expect others to pay for your diabetes meds when you blow up to 350 lbs eating junk and laying on the sofa.
Do you think the current healthcare system needs reform? Why or why not?

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
From the perspective of most conservatives, well, CEOs, trust fund kiddies and the Forbes 500 can get the best medical care money can buy. Ergo, there's no problem with the American health care system. If poor people can't afford it, our gene pool needs cleaning anyway.
Please take it easy on conservatives TheNewWorldMan. You're getting a bit carried away.

Upvote 0

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the current healthcare system needs reform? Why or why not?

It does, both in how insurance can be purchased by individuals (across state lines and though private collectives) and through law suit abuse reform. We also need to as individuals not expect to be covered for every little thing that makes us ill, or every medication we take.

I wouldn't claim the system is without flaws, but I also know plenty of people who simply refuse to pay for coverage, but still want the luxuries of sloth.

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You must be careful as an Obama supporter i might get up off that sofa make a few calls and have you placed in a dungeon oh wait im sorry that was the Bush Administration :p

Well on a serious note you can remind me of what you wrote above when your tax dollars pay for my hospital bills alright ...

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It does, both in how insurance can be purchased by individuals (across state lines and though private collectives) and through law suit abuse reform. We also need to as individuals not expect to be covered for every little thing that makes us ill, or every medication we take.

I wouldn't claim the system is without flaws, but I also know plenty of people who simply refuse to pay for coverage, but still want the luxuries of sloth.

Try telling a single parent who works three jobs trying to make ends meat that they are slothful they cant aford coverage they deserve health care

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
What should be changed about the way people can purchase insurance?

Ok.

Upvote 0

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Try telling a single parent who works three jobs trying to make ends meat that they are slothful they cant aford coverage they deserve health care

How many of those make up a percentage of the (alleged) 47 million uninsured? Not much, I can tell you that.

Besides, at what point do you lay the responsibility on the single parent for the poor life choices they made? I know, it feels good to give away other people's money to people you think deserve it. Robin Hood was a thief, plain and simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
How many of those make up a percentage of the (alleged) 47 million uninsured? Not much, I can tell you that.

Besides, at what point do you lay the responsibility on the single parent for the poor life choices they made? I know, it feels good to give away other people's money to people you think deserve it. Robin Hood was a thief, plain and simple.
At what point do you lay the responsibility on the children of that parent for the poor life choices their mother may have made? And without knowing what her life choices were, how do you make that judgment? And at what point do you decide that the value of that mother's life and the life of her children is less than the value of someone who is in a better financial situation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

For someone who seems to know so much you are not giving any answers

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is wrong with the way insurance is purchased today, and why would changing the way it can be purchased (across state lines (?) and through private collectives) help fix the problem?

Upvote 0

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gilbert Funk

Aug 28, 2009
✟233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But you still havent talked anbout those who cant afford squat

There are programs for those who can't afford squat. It is those who can afford plenty, but spend on luxury, for whom I have no care.

Go into a pharmacy some time and just hang around by the prescription counter and look at the people collecting their medications, and tell me those who are obese and on three different drugs to control blood pressure, blood sugar and gastro intestinal distress are simply unlucky. I'm not saying this is everyone, but way more people can afford taking care of their own problems than actually do so.

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are programs for those who can't afford squat. It is those who can afford plenty, but spend on luxury, for whom I have no care.

Go into a pharmacy some time and just hang around by the prescription counter and look at the people collecting their medications, and tell me those who are obese and on three different drugs to control blood pressure, blood sugar and gastro intestinal distress are simply unlucky. I'm not saying this is everyone, but way more people can afford taking care of their own problems than actually do so.

the programs that you speak of if they really worked we would not be having this discussion

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,659.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the programs that you speak of if they really worked we would not be having this discussion
If these government programs don't work, why are we talking about a big new government program to replace them? The government has not been faithful with the entitlements we've charged it with, why entrust it with more? This is the opposite of how Jesus runs his kingdom (Luke 16:11, Matt. 25:23, etc), so why are Christians ignoring his wisdom when it comes to this?

Upvote 0

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the opposite of how Jesus runs his kingdom (Luke 16:11, Matt. 25:23, etc), so why are Christians ignoring his wisdom when it comes to this?

Yes, I remember that part well.

"Hey Jesus, shouldn't you feed the lepers?"

"No Thomas, that would just make them lazy."

"Then shouldn't you at least heal them?"

"No James, leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility. If I healed them there would be no incentive to avoid leprosy."

Reactions: Baggins
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,659.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I remember that part well.

"Hey Jesus, shouldn't you feed the lepers?"

"No Thomas, that would just make them lazy."

"Then shouldn't you at least heal them?"

"No James, leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility. If I healed them there would be no incentive to avoid leprosy."
This deliberate mischaracterization of my theology also has nothing to do with what I said when you quoted me. But the best response I think when faced with the question of hunger is to quote Jesus again:

"You give them something to eat." - Luke 9:13

Nothing about petitioning Caesar.

Upvote 0