What are some good conversation starters?

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"hi, how are you?"

simple and yet it works to start a conversation.

or you could try what a guy tried with me yesterday. Go up to a random woman you've never seen or talked to and ask her, "how do you make spaghetti?"

I guarantee you that she will not only speak with you, she will have a lasting impression of you. Whether or not that impression is favourable is up in the air :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conversation starters I have actually used, mostly on perfect strangers or those I just know their name.

"If you had to choose, would you use a cafeteria tray or a pizza tray to slide down a hill on?"

"Hi *smile* I'm Amber and you are standing alone so I thought we could join forces"

"I need your help! How are you with children?"

"Hey, I'm Amber [pause and wait for their name]" After that its all about them for a few minutes. Ask them why they are there, where they are from and if they need any help or just stick with them for a bit making small talk.

The most important thing about any conversation is that it should be genuine and a volley. So neither of you are the only ones contributing and both of you actually care what comes out of the person's mouth. The weather, yourselves, how soon they will have offspring with you ( ;) ) none of that is hugely important as long as you both are invested in the subject.

If you don't give a crap about the weather, do not talk about it. Don't care if they would choose Humphry Bogart over Cary Grant? Don't ask it. Just pick a topic you can be engaged in.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
first I want to commend you for asking the question. I have this fantasy--well had, after ten years it may have snuffed out--that after church a guy who was interested in me would come up and say something about the sermon. It seems to me that would be a natural thing to do after church. I think it would have to be a point you were truly interested in, though. You know, not forcing it just to impress the girl, but if something has truly moved you that was said, you could just say, "wasn't that a great sermon? I'd never thought of grace quite in that way. Had you heard it put that way before?" Something like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just use the line from Seinfeld:

"So you know, I'm responsible for all those crop circles in England."

:thumbsup: Nice!

"Hi is someone sitting here?" Met my bf this way...it worked for me :)! It was a simple question, but we ended up talking for awhile after that!

Upvote 0