What all happened with Saul?

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm talking about Saul in Samuel...as I was reading... Before Saul became King.. He seemed like a normal person...not the king that would make his people slaves..like how Samuel prophesied earlier...

I just wonder, why was his heart changed ( 1Sam. 10:9)

And I was wondering about this verse 1Sam 11:6 ... Why would the that happen?

It seems like Saul was a regular person and he was changed just to fit prophecy. Maybe I'm wrong.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Regular persons make mistakes: Saul made the following ones:

1. Not waiting for Samuel to offer sacrifices but doing it himself
2. Not following instructions concerning Philistine captives and livestock
3. Persecuting David out of fear and envy
3. Consulting a spirit medium

When Saul was preparing to fight the Philistines, Samuel denounced him for proceeding with the pre-battle sacrifice without waiting for the overdue Samuel to arrive. He prophesied that Saul's rule would see no dynastic succession.

During the campaign against the Amalekites, King Saul spared Agag, the king of the Amalekites, and the best of their livestock. Saul told Samuel that he spared the choicest of the Amalekites' sheep and oxen, intending to sacrifice the livestock to the Lord. This was in violation of the Lord's command, as pronounced by Samuel, to "... utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass" (1 Samuel 15:3, KJV). Samuel confronted Saul for his disobedience and told him that God made him king, and God can unmake him king. Samuel then proceeded to execute Agag. Saul never saw Samuel alive again after this.[19]

Samuel - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Regular persons make mistakes: Saul made the following ones:

1. Not waiting for Samuel to offer sacrifices but doing it himself
2. Not following instructions concerning Philistine captives and livestock
3. Persecuting David out of fear and envy
3. Consulting a spirit medium
I'm saying if Saul was such a bad person, why did his heart have to be changed (Sam 10:9) he seemed like a regular person...even in Sam 11:6 another spirit had to make him angry...

Why did 11:6 happen.?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm saying if Saul was such a bad person, why did his heart have to be changed (Sam 10:9) he seemed like a regular person...even in Sam 11:6 another spirit had to make him angry...

Why did 11:6 happen.?
Saul didn't start out a bad person. 1 Samuel 10:9 appears to be that Saul was changed by the Holy Spirit falling on him. He was changed into a man after God's own heart (see v. 7), with the power of God on him (see vv. 10)—although I would say that his "new self" was actually the result of God granting him freedom (the kind we get from growing in Christ) (2 Corinthians 3:17).

Verse 10:11 is significant in that Saul received some sort of anointing like a prophet of God. The Law taught that anyone who was a prophet of God must always speak for God and act for God otherwise the punishment was death. (Deuteronomy 18:18-20) So when Saul chose to disobey the Lord, it had bad and powerful consequences.

1 Samuel 11:6 was a good thing in that his response was an expression of how God felt about v. 11:2.

The Jews had wanted a king like other nations had a king. This was very bad, because it meant they cared more about how they appeared to other nations and didn't care that their invisible king was God himself, who provided everything they needed. God gave them what they wanted. (After an explanation of what they had done, the Jews recognized they had sinned by asking for a king. 1 Samuel 12:19)

Saul was rejected by God as king because Saul had rejected God as God. Saul chose to disobey the Lord, which also made Saul blind to the truth. (e.g., 1 Samuel 15:18-21)

But Samuel replied: “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
(1 Samuel 15:22, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Saul didn't start out a bad person. 1 Samuel 10:9 appears to be that Saul was changed by the Holy Spirit falling on him. He was changed into a man after God's own heart (see v. 7), with the power of God on him (see vv. 10)—although I would say that his "new self" was actually the result of God granting him freedom (the kind we get from growing in Christ) (2 Corinthians 3:17).

Verse 10:11 is significant in that Saul received some sort of anointing like a prophet of God. The Law taught that anyone who was a prophet of God must always speak for God and act for God otherwise the punishment was death. (Deuteronomy 18:18-20) So when Saul chose to disobey the Lord, it had bad and powerful consequences.

1 Samuel 11:6 was a good thing in that his response was an expression of how God felt about v. 11:2.

The Jews had wanted a king like other nations had a king. This was very bad, because it meant they cared more about how they appeared to other nations and didn't care that their invisible king was God himself, who provided everything they needed. God gave them what they wanted. (After an explanation of what they had done, the Jews recognized they had sinned by asking for a king. 1 Samuel 12:19)

Saul was rejected by God as king because Saul had rejected God as God. Saul chose to disobey the Lord, which also made Saul blind to the truth. (e.g., 1 Samuel 15:18-21)

But Samuel replied: “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
(1 Samuel 15:22, 1984 NIV)
Okay, this is a great explanation.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm talking about Saul in Samuel...as I was reading... Before Saul became King.. He seemed like a normal person...not the king that would make his people slaves..like how Samuel prophesied earlier...

I just wonder, why was his heart changed ( 1Sam. 10:9)

And I was wondering about this verse 1Sam 11:6 ... Why would the that happen?

It seems like Saul was a regular person and he was changed just to fit prophecy. Maybe I'm wrong.
Layers upon layers in this story . Yes He disobeyed God's instuctions that is a give in. But who is Saul? He was the most handsome best fit for a king. He is a typology. First born sons have issues in the Bible. Also think of the story of the prodical son. Those are some hints, I don't want to give it away ;-)

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Layers upon layers in this story . Yes He disobeyed God's instuctions that is a give in. But who is Saul? He was the most handsome best fit for a king. He is a typology. First born sons have issues in the Bible. Also think of the story of the prodical son. Those are some hints, I don't want to give it away ;-)
Prodigal son? Hmm I never saw it like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums