Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I haven't argued for no Vatican influence, anyway, but 5 out of 62 is nothing, they obviously had no other influence than perhaps Isaiah 7:14 (although there are many protestans who agree with the catholics on tha one). There is NO Catholic vocabulary present whatsoever, Lk Infancy Narrative isn't translated like the Catholics do.
Comparing with the CPDV (only "non-heretical" Catholic version I have) I don't really see what your hubbub is with the Lukan Nativity.

And to Your knowledge the Calvinistic and evangelical bias in it IS heavy.

So You're trying to say that it's eclectic or one of the least biased versions? That's very wrong. Even the NRSV and RSV-2 are LESS biased (to compare with the ones the ESV is said to "come from").
I'm not really saying either of those, it is clear from its origins that it is biased, I just wouldn't argue for calvinist bias, probably more of a conservative bias.

Of course the NJB is heretical, compared to ANY Church. That's more than obvious. Why should I bother with examples? Trough-and-trough.
It's probably far more liberal than what I was used to at that point in time but I'd hardly have called it heretical.

Mainstream - that nullifies the efforts of the scholars. Note that I'm not even mainstream Catholic. The formal equivalency combined with the gender-neutral language is ridiculous.
The gender neutrality I must admit isn't the best selling point of it, that's part of why the ESV was put together.

On another note I should possibly get a copy of the REB

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

brandplucked

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
✟4,973.00
Faith
Christian
what's wrong with that, what's wrong with Catholic participation..?

The fact that you have to ask shows just how far the apostasy has gone -

“Mystery, Babylon the Great, The Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth..is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit...and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication...Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins” Revelation 17:2-5; 18:2-4

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Protestant, I received a King James Version for Christmas, so I always thought of the KJV as a Protestant Bible. I've delved into many translations since then, and my favorite was the NAB St. Joseph's Edition--which edged out my NIV--even before I converted to Catholicism. BTW, I don't think the Catholics are responsible for all the problems the OP talks about in the various Bible translations coming out today.

Upvote 0

John 07

May 24, 2010
inner
✟15,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

“Mystery, Babylon the Great, The Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth..is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit...and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication...Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins” Revelation 17:2-5; 18:2-4
its amazing what the overwhelming number real Christian scholars think about KJonlyism (not to mention any thinking person)...ie, it is fasle (personally i think its dopey)

Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

Study By: Daniel B. Wallace

http://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

here's an excerpt
"Seventh, those who advocate that the KJV has exclusive rights to being called the Holy Bible are always, curiously, English-speaking people (normally isolated Americans)."
but what can you do...

He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears (Pro 26:17)

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
brandplucked said:

If you think that's talking about the RCC you've got bigger problems with your bible reading than which translation to use.

Btw, you do realise that the NT of the KJV was significantly influenced by the Catholic Rheims New Testament, and that Bishop Challoner drew heavily on the KJV when producing the Challoner Douay-Rheims (the standard Catholic bible in English for so long and still loved by conservative Catholics).

Real Biblical scholars have always drawn from the insights of each other, even at the height of reformation polemic.

Upvote 0

brandplucked

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
✟4,973.00
Faith
Christian
its amazing what the overwhelming number real Christian scholars think about KJonlyism (not to mention any thinking person)...ie, it is fasle (personally i think its dopey)
Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

Study By: Daniel B. Wallace

http://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

here's an excerpt
"Seventh, those who advocate that the KJV has exclusive rights to being called the Holy Bible are always, curiously, English-speaking people (normally isolated Americans)."
but what can you do...

He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears (Pro 26:17)

Dan Wallace has one of the goofiest train wreck translations out there. The guy is a nut! I'll give you just one of a hundred examples I know about in a moment. First, here is a good article I did not write called 'Why you shouldn't care about what Dan Wallace thinks about the King James Bible."

Why you shouldn't care what Daniel Wallace thinks about the King James Bible

Now, here is just one example of what Wallace's NET version is like (another Vatican Version)

Judges 16 - NASB, NIV, RSV, ESV, NET and Catholic versions all depart from the Hebrew texts

In this chapter we see a place where such versions as the RSV, NASB, NIV, ESV, and Daniel Wallace's NET version have added some 33 words to the Hebrew text, all taken from the incredibly corrupt Greek Septuagint version. Actually these extra words come from SOME copies of the LXX as the NIV footnote tells us, but not others.

In the King James Bible we read in Judges 16:13-14 these words: "And Delilah said unto Samson, Hitherto thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web. (**NASB, NIV, RSV, ESV, NET and Catholic versions add 33 words at this point**) And she fastened it with the pin and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web."

This is the reading of ALL Hebrew texts and is found in the Jewish translations of 1917, 1936, and the 1998 Complete Jewish Bible, Coverdale, Bishops' Bible, the Geneva Bible, the Revised Version, American Standard Version, Lamsa's translation of the Syriac Peshitta, the Spanish Reina Valera 1960, Young's, Darby, and the NKJV to name just a few.

HOWEVER, among the "evangelical versions" beginning with the liberal RSV in 1952 and continuing with the NASB, NIV, NRSV, NET, and the 2001 ESV (English Standard Version), we see about 33 words ADDED to the Hebrew text, and the NIV footnote tells us these extra words come from SOME copies of the LXX, but they are not in the Hebrew texts.

The NASB frequently departs from the Hebrew Masoretic texts and either follows the LXX, the Syriac, Vulgate or just makes up its own readings, but they never tell you this in their footnotes. You have to consult other versions to discover this. But there is one footnote in the NASB Old Testament where they admit what they have done. Here in Judges 16:13 the NASB tells us "The passage in brackets is found in Greek but not in any Hebrew manuscript."

ALL Catholic versions like the Douay-Rheims, the St. Joseph New American Bible, and the Jerusalem Bible also add all these extra words to the Hebrew text. Since the RSV, NASB, NIV, NETand ESV versions are primarily based on the Catholic text of Vaticanus in the New Testament, this comes as no surprise.

In the NASB, NIV, ESV, Catholic St. Joseph and New Jerusalem bible and The Message we read the following -- I will capitalize the added words.

Judges 16:13-14 "Delilah then said to Samson, "Until now, you have been making a fool of me and lying to me. Tell me how you can be tied." He replied, If you weave the seven braids of my head into the fabric ON THE LOOM AND TIGHTEN IT WITH THE PIN, I'LL BECOME AS WEAK AS ANY OTHER MAN." SO WHILE HE WAS SLEEPING, DELILAH TOOK THE SEVEN BRAIDS OF HIS HEAD, WOVE THEM INTO THE FABRIC, and tightened it with the pin. Again she called to him, "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!" He awoke from his sleep and pulled up the pin and the loom, with the fabric." (NIV 1982 edition)

Now an interesting thing to note is the fickleness of modern scholars and their "science of textual criticism". The most recent "bible version" to come down the pike is the 2004 Holman Christian Standard. It also omits thousands of words from the New Testament just like the NASB, NIV, but when we get back to these verses in Judges 16, the Holman editors decided NOT TO PUT all these extra words from some LXX copies into their late$t ver$ion.

One of the goofiest "scholarly" Every Man For Himself Bible Versions, now being heavily promoted by Evangelicals, is the NET version put together by men like Daniel Wallace of Dallas Theological Seminary. He too adds all these extra words to the Hebrew text, and then tells us several revealing things in his "scholarly" footnotes.

Here is what he says (Caps are mine): "28tn The MT of vv. 13b-14a reads simply, “He said to her, ‘If you weave the seven braids of my head with the web.’ And she fastened with the pin and said to him.” The additional words in the translation, “and secure it with the pin, I will become weak and be like any other man.’ 16:14 So she made him go to sleep, wove the seven braids of his hair into the fabric on the loom,” WHICH WITHOUT DOUBT REPRESENT THE ORIGINAL TEXT, are supplied from the ancient Greek version. (In both vv. 13b and 14a the Greek version has “to the wall” after “with the pin,” BUT THIS IS AN INTERPRETIVE ADDITION THAT REFLECTS A MISUNDERSTANDING of ancient weaving equipment. The Hebrew textual tradition was ACCIDENTALLY SHORTENED during the copying process. A scribe’s eye jumped from the first instance of “with the web” to the second, causing him to leave out inadvertently the intervening words. 29tn The Hebrew adds, “from his sleep.” This has not been included in the translation for stylistic reasons. 30tn Heb “when your heart is not with me.”

Here we see several things about the mindset of men like Daniel Wallace. He ASSUMES something has been lost from the Hebrew texts, and yet tells us the added words are WITHOUT DOUBT what the originals said, even though he's never seen one scrap of the originals in his life. He next tells us that the missing words come from the LXX, but he himself then says that some of the words found even in the LXX AND WHICH ARE "WITHOUT DOUBT WHAT THE ORIGINALS SAID" are "AN INTERPRETIVE ADDITION THAT REFLECTS A MISUNDERSTANDING of ancient weaving equipment", and so he chooses to omit them. Did you hear what he said? He says that even the missing original was wrong!!! Then he goes on to OMIT several more words from ALL texts "for stylistic reasons", and then he paraphrases more Hebrew words (when your heart is not with me) to "when you will not share your secret with me".

Can you see how totally messed up and inconsistent these self appointed gas bag scholars are? And people actually read this junk and hold these men in high esteem.

In view of the fact that God has clearly stated not to add to nor take away from His words, I wonder how the NASB, NIV, ESV, NET, Holman and Catholic bible editors will fare in the day of judgment.

"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar." Proverbs 30:5-6

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
"only nuts disagree with me
Therefore
everyone who disagrees with me is a nut"

Daniel Wallace is a good bible scholar.
The NET is a good translation with exceedingly useful footnotes.

The KJV is not the standard against which to measure anything, however much you rant and rave.

All translations, including the KJV are changing and adding words. You can't translate without.

Upvote 0

brandplucked

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
✟4,973.00
Faith
Christian
Well, check out some of the ridiculous changes and footnotes Danial Wallace and his NUT version have to offer us. Numerous times this Vatican Version promoter rejects the clear Hebrew readings in favor of his own wild guesses and speculations.

NIV, NASB reject Hebrew - Another King James Bible Believer

Another amazing thing to behold about Daniel Wallace's goofy NET version is how much it now looks exactly like the old liberal RSV which his own Dallas Theological Seminary roundly condemned just a little over 50 years ago.His NET version now has the same readings in it that were once criticized by the same seminary professors as being corrupt. We do live in interesting times.

My, How times have changed! What Bible scholars were saying a mere 50 years ago about the liberal RSV!

times change DTSem, net - Another King James Bible Believer

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

Will Kinney

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
brandplucked said:
Well, check out some of the ridiculous changes and footnotes Danial Wallace and his NUT version have to offer us. Numerous times this Vatican Version promoter rejects the clear Hebrew readings in favor of his own wild guesses and speculations.

NIV, NASB reject Hebrew - Another King James Bible Believer

Another amazing thing to behold about Daniel Wallace's goofy NET version is how much it now looks exactly like the old liberal RSV which his own Dallas Theological Seminary roundly condemned just a little over 50 years ago.His NET version now has the same readings in it that were once criticized by the same seminary professors as being corrupt. We do live in interesting times.

My, How times have changed! What Bible scholars were saying a mere 50 years ago about the liberal RSV!

times change DTSem, net - Another King James Bible Believer

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

Will Kinney

Even repeating three times won't make you right outside of Lewis Carroll.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Now I took a closer look at Logos software, and found it: English Bible Collection (27 vols.) - Logos Bible Software
There it's called:
The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ: The Common English Version
It says:
This revised New Testament was prepared under the auspices of the American Bible Union, by the most competent scholars of the day. They followed these rules for the revision:
  • The received Greek text, critically edited, with known errors corrected, must be followed
  • The common English version must be the basis of revision, and only such alterations must be made as the exact meaning of the text and the existing state of the language may require.
  • The exact meaning of the inspired text, as that text expressed it to those who understood the original Scriptures at the time they were first written, must be given in corresponding words and phrases, so far as they can be found in the English language, with the least possible obscurity or indefiniteness.

The American Bible Union published another revision in 1912. Both were widely used.
As for the 1865 Common English N.T., it apparently was never much used or blessed by God since I have never even heard of it. Is there a copy online somewhere?

Upvote 0