Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was received into the Catholic Church during Easter of 2010 (a story for another time). Although I was an atheist the 6 years prior, RCIA was a relatively smooth process, except for one thing.

Picking a confirmation name.

Admittedly, in my spiritually immature Catholic-candidate state, I did far too much researching and not enough praying. After years of atheism, everything about Catholicism seemed to magically and logically fall into place. I accepted that Jesus Christ had indeed died on the cross for us and risen again. It only took a little researching of books and blogs to believe in the fullness of the Eucharist, the grace of confession, the communion of saints, and the papal authority. I had what I suspect was one of the best RCIA classes out there – an orthodox priest and a canon lawyer in-the-making gave us an in-depth exploration of the tenants and history of the Faith, complete with weekly reading assignments from the Bible and Catechism.

But when it came to a confirmation name, did I struggle! I took it a little too seriously, but it was the one permanent thing that I couldn’t change later on, which felt like a lot of pressure. So, I agonized over the decision right up until I had to submit my choice. Although I may not have gone about this in the best manner, the saints I was debating over really personify me in terms of their patronage – I hope to some day live up to their virtues too.

Continued below.