We're going to war with Iran

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We're going to war with Iran. It's a matter of time and inevitability at this point.

Btw, when we talk about who does and doesn't want to go to war with Iran, it's the ultra right-wing governments of the US & Israel that want war. It's the defense contractors that want war. But among the people, 70% of Americans oppose it & most of the Israeli people do not want war with Iran, and even Israeli generals do not want war with Iran.

In a rare interview, ex-chief of Mossad Meir Dagan speaks out against a preemptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities anytime soon. He says the Iranian regime is rational in its own way.
US elections conceal preparations for war with Iran

27 September 2012

Within American ruling circles, it is well known that plans for war against Iran are far advanced, but there is a conspiracy of silence by both political parties and the media to keep this reality out of the presidential election. The intent is to drag the American people into yet another bloody war in the Middle East on the basis of false pretexts and lies, despite broad popular opposition to an attack on Iran.
Over the past week, a number of commentaries in the American and European press have warned of an attack by either Israel or the US, or both, against Iran in the near future, and a bipartisan group of former foreign policy officials, retired generals and former legislators has issued a report outlining the potentially catastrophic consequences of an unprovoked attack on the Persian Gulf country.

Some of the recent articles have the character of a pre-emptive political strike by ruling class figures wary of a war against Iran, while others suggest that such a war is necessary and inevitable. The confluence of such commentaries is itself an indication that detailed planning for war is underway.

At the United Nations on Tuesday, President Obama reiterated that the US will “do what we must” to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is pressing for greater US security guarantees to Israel, whose prime minister, Benyamin Netanyahu, has criticized Obama for not moving quickly enough to launch military action.

But beyond such general threats, the reality of advanced plans for war is being concealed.

The National Journal on Monday posted an article entitled “The Path to War with Iran.” The article, prompted by a conference held last Friday by the Washington Institute for Near East Policy on the subject of US-Israeli coordination against Iran, began by noting the significance of Obama’s speech last March before the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. “Obama announced a new policy that put the United States and Iran on a collision course from which neither has veered,” the author wrote.
The German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung published an article on Monday headlined “Dangerous War Rhetoric” that began: “When everyone is talking of war, a spark is sufficient to ignite one.”

The article compared the current situation in the Middle East to the eve of World War I, warning, “From a European perspective, things seem much like Europe in 1914.” It went to say that war could be set off by “an unplanned incident between US and Iranian ships in the Persian Gulf, a miscalculation of the Israeli or of the Iranian military, or a significant terrorist attack.”

Albert Hunt, Washington editor at Bloomberg News, published an article in Newsday, also last Monday, headlined “Americans Deserve a Pre-Emptive Debate on Attacking Iran.” He began: “The last two presidents have misled voters on the cost of armed conflicts. Amid another election, the drumbeats of war are sounding again. This time the subject is Iran. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan: Here we go again.”

Some of the disastrous consequences such a war could have were spelled out in a report released last week by the Iran Project, a bipartisan panel of former leading US diplomats, military officers and congressmen.

They wrote, “Even in order to fulfill the stated objective of ensuring that Iran never acquires a nuclear bomb, the US would need to conduct a substantially expanded air and sea war over a prolonged period of time, likely several years. If the US decided to seek a more ambitious objective, such as regime change in Iran or undermining Iran’s influence in the region, then an even greater commitment of force would be required to occupy all or part of the country. Given Iran’s large size and population, and the strength of Iranian nationalism, we estimated that the occupation of Iran would require a commitment of resources and personnel greater than what the US has expended over the past 10 years in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined.”
Read more...

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're going to war with Iran. It's a matter of time and inevitability at this point.

Btw, when we talk about who does and doesn't want to go to war with Iran, it's the ultra right-wing governments of the US & Israel that want war. It's the defense contractors that want war. But among the people, 70% of Americans oppose it & most of the Israeli people do not want war with Iran, and even Israeli generals do not want war with Iran.
I'd like to see how the questions were worded to arrive at this 70% figure. After all, I suspect that the following questions would yield very different answers:
  • Should Iran be allowed to complete their nuclear ambitions, which they say are for peaceful energy purposes only?
  • Would you permit using military force to stop Iran from building a nuclear bomb capable of destroying the people of Israel, or should they be allowed to proceed?
  • Should we start a war in the Middle East over Iran's nuclear ambitions?
The polling questions can pretty well determine the answers.

Upvote 0

bibledoctor

Aug 13, 2012
✟737.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
  • Should Iran be allowed to complete their nuclear ambitions, which they say are for peaceful energy purposes only?
That depends on what the World Peace Council says.
  • Would you permit using military force to stop Iran from building a nuclear bomb capable of destroying the people of Israel, or should they be allowed to proceed?
Yes, but unneccessary b/c Iran already has its own police and government capable of governing itself.

• Should we start a war in the Middle East over Iran's nuclear ambitions?
I don't think we should - I mean 3 barrels of oil each day should be soluble enough for a truce.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We're going to have perpetual war for the rest of our lives at this point. Our country is addicted to it. Once one of our enemies gets the means to mount a counterattack against us (an actual military counterattack, not sporadic terrorist attacks) we may change our position. It seems that WWII is still in the minds of Europeans, when war came to their nations and they had to live through it. We just deploy our military and ruin other people's homelands. And the military industrial complex collectively rolls in the cash and blood. Disgusting.

War with Iran would not be the same as Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran is a much more industrialized nation, that produces their own military hardware and has much better infrastructure. It would be very very bad.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're going to have perpetual war for the rest of our lives at this point. Our country is addicted to it. Once one of our enemies gets the means to mount a counterattack against us (an actual military counterattack, not sporadic terrorist attacks) we may change our position. It seems that WWII is still in the minds of Europeans, when war came to their nations and they had to live through it. We just deploy our military and ruin other people's homelands. And the military industrial complex collectively rolls in the cash and blood. Disgusting.

War with Iran would not be the same as Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran is a much more industrialized nation, that produces their own military hardware and has much better infrastructure. It would be very very bad.

If historical trends hold true for us, then we are in a predictable phase in our civilization. We are young, and we overreact to everything. Give it a century or two, and we'll be a little more balanced with our approach to foreign affairs.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not coming down on either side here, but we wouldn't have to storm through and level Iran. The objective is to eliminate their nuclear capabilities. So why not send a bunch of B2s down there and pummel them with bunker busters until their nuclear facilities are no more? (It should be obvious, but I freely admit I'm not a war strategist.) Of course, we'd have to take out their Air Defense first, but that's still a long way from what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm not coming down on either side here, but we wouldn't have to storm through and level Iran. The objective is to eliminate their nuclear capabilities. So why not send a bunch of B2s down there and pummel them with bunker busters until their nuclear facilities are no more? (It should be obvious, but I freely admit I'm not a war strategist.) Of course, we'd have to take out their Air Defense first, but that's still a long way from what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Oh, good. I'm sure that will be the end of the conflict. Iran will say "Gosh....there goes that idea. We'd better start being nice to people."

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I agree with everything you said.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't want a full-scale war with Iran, but we do need to stop their nuclear program...if that means just turning the other cheek while we let our Jewish friends in Israel fly some stealth bombers dropping some evil smart bombs, or us going in with a small force inflicting some damage, I'm ok with those options. The implications of Akmadinejad having nukes are frightening....the terrorist implications. But I don't think we need a war. According to some things I read this morning, sanctions seem to be doing some heavy damage to Iran and they're getting weary of them!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of countries that have nukes that we aren't allies with. North Korea and China come to mind. Doesn't seem like we did anything with regards to stopping their nuke programs. Why is Iran such a threat, really? Aren't North Korea and China equal threats, but we're not scared they're going to blow us up?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ever since I read "The Devil We Know" by Robert Baer I've been convinced that a war with Iran would be an exercise in futility.

It is quite simple: the Shia view of "martyrdom" is much more sensible than the Sunni view. The Sunnis view suicide bombings against coffee shops, music stores and beaches as a good idea whereas Shia basically use suicide bombings as a valid military option against military targets; NOT civilian targets. The Shia see it as a warrior sacrificing himself to further a military cause, not some pawn in a culture war like the Sunnis.
That and the fact that Shia Islam is far more organized that Sunni Islam.

I hate to say it, but the war with Iran is inevitable. Our political system at this point in time simply does not allow peace to be an option.

Upvote 0