Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have been divorced for 13 years. I have confident that it was the best option given the circumstances. We don't have much contact with each other and I prefer it that way, except his lack of involvement was difficult for the kids.

This year my youngest turned 18. That means child support ended. Which is fine. That's how it's supposed to be. But I've become rattled for other reasons.

I suddenly feel as though I am on my own, as if I haven't been for the last 13 years. I feel very vulnerable and like our situation is precarious. I feel like my youngest son and I are completely alone in the world. I have been worried about every possible thing going wrong and having the worst possible outcome, with no one to help. This makes me very afraid for my son in particular because he has some disabilities.

The child support wasn't even that much, so I don't believe that is the reason. I think it is the notion that my ex no longer has any legal responsibility, no forced connection to us.

Changes in my job and a reduction in wages has contributed to all my worrying. I spend most days fighting anxiety and a sense of helplessness. Even though I am working two jobs now, the second job more than makes up for the loss child support, my kid is looking for a job, and I'm looking for other opportunities as well, I fear the worst. It is exhausting and even depressing to be so anxious all the time.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟911,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been divorced for 13 years. I have confident that it was the best option given the circumstances. We don't have much contact with each other and I prefer it that way, except his lack of involvement was difficult for the kids.

This year my youngest turned 18. That means child support ended. Which is fine. That's how it's supposed to be. But I've become rattled for other reasons.

I suddenly feel as though I am on my own, as if I haven't been for the last 13 years. I feel very vulnerable and like our situation is precarious. I feel like my youngest son and I are completely alone in the world. I have been worried about every possible thing going wrong and having the worst possible outcome, with no one to help. This makes me very afraid for my son in particular because he has some disabilities.

The child support wasn't even that much, so I don't believe that is the reason. I think it is the notion that my ex no longer has any legal responsibility, no forced connection to us.

Changes in my job and a reduction in wages has contributed to all my worrying. I spend most days fighting anxiety and a sense of helplessness. Even though I am working two jobs now, the second job more than makes up for the loss child support, my kid is looking for a job, and I'm looking for other opportunities as well, I fear the worst. It is exhausting and even depressing to be so anxious all the time.
I know if I were in his position I would continue paying child support, maybe directly to your son . I know 18 is the legal adult age however, many parents dont like it. He still needs support.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
That's not going to happen. The only reason my ex was paying it was because the state was garnishing his wages for it. He would not pay it on his own. He never helped with any extra needs that came up in any kind of way, monetary or otherwise. He hasn't even asked to see our son for Christmas.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟911,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not going to happen. The only reason my ex was paying it was because the state was garnishing his wages for it. He would not pay it on his own. He never helped with any extra needs that came up in any kind of way, monetary or otherwise. He hasn't even asked to see our son for Christmas.
Understood. My prayers are with you.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0