Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Mystery of Holy Saturday tells us is that God himself marched through the gate of death, releasing us from a state of bondage we were never created to have to endure

What is faith? Is there a sentence around somewhere that will summarize it for us? That was the question a young German priest and professor by the name of Joseph Ratzinger put to his students back in the summer of 1967. The result was a series of lectures that became Introduction To Christianity, a work so captivating that on the strength of its argument a future saint by the name of Pope Paul VI practically made him a bishop on the spot, setting in motion a series of elevations that would eventuate in his becoming pope.

While I can’t speak for others about the impact the book had on their lives, I will say that it certainly produced a great sea change in my own. It moved me to take up the serious study of Catholic theology, which, for all the money I have not made doing it, has nevertheless brought me no end of enrichment and joy. What was it that so endeared me to the book, and to its author? Oddly enough, it was single section, consisting of only eight pages, in which he describes the event of Christ’s Descent into Hell, arguably the deepest and darkest mystery of faith, located right at the heart of the Creed.

Continued below.