We are to become like God

TheWingsOfWisdom

Jan 25, 2011
✟639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus called Abraham "father", Paul called himself a "father" and addressed other men (fathers, actually) as "father.

Which one of your priest is Jesus?

If Paul did then he disobeyed a commandment of Jesus.

Just like you and all the other catholics.

But you do not care.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let me see if I am reading you correctly.

Do you call your priest

father?

Absolutely.

What kind of figure would refer to his readers as 'son' or 'dear children'?

For this reason I am sending you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord; he will remind you of my ways in Christ (Jesus), just as I teach them everywhere in every church. (1 Corinthians 4:17)
to Timothy, my true child in faith: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (1 Timothy 1:2)
to Timothy, my dear child: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (2 Timothy 1:2)
My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, (Galatians 4:19)
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.(1 John 2:1)
I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name. (1 John 2:12)
write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning.(1 John 2:14)
Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.(1 John 2:18)
And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. (1 John 2:28)
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. (1 John 3:7)
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. (1 John 3:18)
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

I'm a dear child. :blush:

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever think of what they might think of your preists that are getting in trouble with the law?

As proclaimed in Catholic churches throughout the world today:

Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, apostle

Mt 16:13-19
Gospel
When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi
he asked his disciples,
“Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah,
still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter said in reply,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.
For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

(emphasis mine)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I was just repeating the Gospel as proclaimed by Jesus Christ.

Which one do you think carries more POWER?

Same thing.

Again, as proclaimed in Catholic churches throughout the world today:

Today being the Feast of the Chair of St Peter, and all

Mt 16:13-19
Gospel
When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi
he asked his disciples,
“Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah,
still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter said in reply,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.
For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

(emphasis mine)
:crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think we should all learn about this, as this is so important. It is our main reason for living a Christian life. I have been listening and watching many DVD's by Fr. David on this issue and most everything we Orthodox believe. I think the explanation from the start of creation through the Fall is so fascinating and really something I would like to share with you all so that you may see this other perspective that has been held by the Church since the beginning. I hope it brings you spiritual nourishment, and that through this, God reveals what He wants us to know about Him...the true understanding of Him.

I will begin with the details when I return from dropping off my children at school and some errands. :wave:

:wave:
Just subscribing for now.
Very cool Dorothea!

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟676,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can we please have peace for a change? I would really like to know more of what Dorothea has to say about her topic in her thread. Besides, Dorothea is not Catholic but Orthodox so I do see the point of some of the responses here.

Peace,
Nancy

I agree I was really enjoying Dorothea's posts. Please don't let others derail such a beautiful thread.

Upvote 0

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The closest English equivalent of theōsis is “deification.” In Christian theology, theōsis refers to the transformation of believers into the likeness of God. Of course, Christian monotheism goes against any literal “god making” of believers. Rather, the NT speaks of a transformation of mind, a metamorphosis of character, a redefinition of selfhood, and an imitation of God. Most of these passages are tantalizingly brief, and none spells out the concept in detail.
Finlan, Steven – Theōsis [Princeton Theological Monograph Series, 2006, p. 1]

The Eastern Orthodox Church has retained theōsis as a concept for theological reflection, while the Western churches—separated by time, language, and philosophy from the Greek thinkers of the early church—have dropped it. In fact, theōsis simply does not exist for most contemporary Western theologians. In lay theology, the term is usually perceived to be blasphemous or absurd. . . The near disappearance in Western Christendom of an idea that was widely accepted for over a thousand years (including by Latin theologians such as Augustine), is a serious loss for Christian thought and hope.
Finlan, Steven – Theōsis [Princeton Theological Monograph Series, 2006, p. 8]

Upvote 0

CathNancy

Jesus I trust in You
Apr 1, 2006
Maryland
✟9,611.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree Brendan and find it unfortunate that this has been lost to many of the laity. We are to become perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. Speaking of God is not the same as knowing God, and it is through knowing God that we become more and more like Him. The hope of the Christian is to be in total communion with Him.

Peace and all good,
Nancy

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree Brendan and find it unfortunate that this has been lost to many of the laity. We are to become perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. Speaking of God is not the same as knowing God, and it is through knowing God that we become more and more like Him. The hope of the Christian is to be in total communion with Him.

Peace and all good,
Nancy

Thank you so much for the kind thought! It is very much appreciated.

Peace in Christ

Upvote 0