Ways in which we can develop a deeper relationship with God/Jesus?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I wanted to open up this forum to list things we can or should do in order to develop a deeper relationship with God/Jesus...

Here's what I have so far, (and I'm hoping that some of you can add to it)

First off: "PRAY", prayer is very important as in order to draw closer to God, you should continually keep the lines of communication open this is in part what Christ gave his life for, so that, through him, we could have a direct line of communication to the Father, without fear of being burned up, being that close to him...

Next is: PRAISE, singing songs to God pleases him greatly I believe and will deepen your relationship with him... Next is: STUDY and learn, either by reading the Bible or Bible based books by authors you can trust and perhaps take notes, in other words: study...

The next one I can come up with is SHARING Jesus and your faith with others as you engage in conversation, "testify" and be a witness at every opportunity by making mention of him in your conversations with others, this will also help you draw closer to, and deepen your relationship with God/Jesus...

All this amounts to ways in which we can "worship" him...

Can anyone else add to this, these are all I can think of at the moment,

God Bless!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yahshua says what to do. It's best to read it in context (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John).

all the things you listed come after what Yahshua said to do. they're not possible before then, according to Scripture.

Are these not some things that Yahshua says to do?

Come "after" what Yahshua said to do...?:confused: Well of course they do, wouldn't make any sense if they came "before" what Yahshua said to do? That's confusing.:confused:

In your opinion, (or from Yahshua), what is included in "worship" I've listed some, can you tell us any more?

I'm confused, Do you agree with me that what I have listed is "some" intrigal parts of "worship", can you add anything?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
sorry the point wasn't clear in my previous post.

Yahshua told all His disciples what to do, what to do first, and they all obeyed Him.(the ones who accepted Him and stayed with Him)

if i tried going step by step through the Gospel, a lot of 'visitors' would complicate things, as humans have a great tendency to do.

so, instead of putting down the step by step things from Scripture, (and , as from the rest of threads on the forum - confusion resulting)
it is very much better to read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John for ones self, and NOT RELY ON MEN to tell what it says. RELY ON YAHSHUA, NOT ON MEN.

then you may know, but not otherwise. you will find it is written that even if I tell someone what is written, they will not know it nor accept it unless the Father in heaven grants it to them.

so, really, if anyone wants to know, they will have to read Scripture seeking Yhvh's (ABBA'S) (literal and explanatory) Revelation by grace and faith in Yahshua.

apart from Yhvh, no one is able to see or to know or to grasp anything. (this is very specific and clear in the GOSPELS, even in english as poor as english is. (the 'knowing' is entirely up to YHVH to grant it) .... if Yhvh doesn't grant it, no one can benefit at all. (the flesh profits nothing, as it is perfectly written in Scripture for those seeking Truth from Yhvh, as He permits)

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
sorry the point wasn't clear in my previous post.

Yahshua told all His disciples what to do, what to do first, and they all obeyed Him.(the ones who accepted Him and stayed with Him)

if i tried going step by step through the Gospel, a lot of 'visitors' would complicate things, as humans have a great tendency to do.

so, instead of putting down the step by step things from Scripture, (and , as from the rest of threads on the forum - confusion resulting)
it is very much better to read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John for ones self, and NOT RELY ON MEN to tell what it says. RELY ON YAHSHUA, NOT ON MEN.

then you may know, but not otherwise. you will find it is written that even if I tell someone what is written, they will not know it nor accept it unless the Father in heaven grants it to them.

so, really, if anyone wants to know, they will have to read Scripture seeking Yhvh's (ABBA'S) (literal and explanatory) Revelation by grace and faith in Yahshua.

apart from Yhvh, no one is able to see or to know or to grasp anything. (this is very specific and clear in the GOSPELS, even in english as poor as english is. (the 'knowing' is entirely up to YHVH to grant it) .... if Yhvh doesn't grant it, no one can benefit at all. (the flesh profits nothing, as it is perfectly written in Scripture for those seeking Truth from Yhvh, as He permits)

I have been over and over Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, as well as the letters and most of the OT, but I mainly "listen" to it each and everyday, as I have it (The Bible) on MP3...

This is what I have gleaned "worship" to consist of (in part, cause I may have missed some things) which is why I was asking others here if they could make up for my lack, by their ideas of what "worship" consists of...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
that being the case, (as put that way) , it is not possible to worship(serve,obey) Yhvh without doing what Yahshua said to do first. what is possible for those Redeemed by Yhvh in Yahshua is not possible for those who are , as Scripture puts it, "outside" the ecclesia.
in the New Testament, there was only one way to become a part of those who were "in" ecclesia(the body of Yahshua HaMashiach - Christ Jesus).

it really really really is too simple. but most of the world just ignores Him.

Upvote 0

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Originally Posted by yeshuaslavejeff

apart from Yhvh, no one is able to see or to know or to grasp anything.

Amen to that!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi neogaia,

I believe that we develop a deeper relationship with God and Jesus pretty much the same way we would develop a deeper relationship with anyone. Desire to spend more time with them and care about the things that they care about.

However, spending time with God is slightly different than spending time with another person in that you can't invite Him to Starbucks or out to the movies. God time, just as Jesus did it, comes through prayer. The Scriptures attest that Jesus would get up early in the morning and be in prayer with his Father. When his hour of trial came, he spent time with his Father in the same way.

I don't think there's any doubt that Jesus cared about the things that his Father cared about. In fact, his whole adult life was spent caring and loving people, which I believe is what God cares about.

That's my encouragement and I think you are on the right track in those things that you have mentioned. Of course, talk is cheap. Just as in developing deeper relationships with people, we can know intellectually 'how' to do it, but doing it can be another matter.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

ron4shua

" ... each in our own order " , Hallelu-YAH .
Aug 3, 2014
Sacramento valley
Visit site
✟12,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Fellow Saints ,

I concur with yeshuaslavejeff & echo Sister Shadow316 in " Amen to that " with one addition . The demonstration of the GOOD NEWS delivered to The Saints in the beginning The book of Acts is the fifth chapter of The Salvation message , the proof in ALL that was promised to the Hebrew lost sheep . Also " the little dogs " in Chapter 10 .

HalleluYAH .

The servant ron .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will".

Romans 12:1-2
NIV

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

I wanted to open up this forum to list things we can or should do in order to develop a deeper relationship with God/Jesus...

First off: "PRAY", prayer is very important as in order to draw closer to God, you should continually keep the lines of communication open this is in part what Christ gave his life for, so that, through him, we could have a direct line of communication to the Father, without fear of being burned up, being that close to him...

Next is: PRAISE, singing songs to God pleases him greatly I believe and will deepen your relationship with him... Next is: STUDY and learn, either by reading the Bible or Bible based books by authors you can trust and perhaps take notes, in other words: study...

The next one I can come up with is SHARING Jesus and your faith with others as you engage in conversation, "testify" and be a witness at every opportunity by making mention of him in your conversations with others, this will also help you draw closer to, and deepen your relationship with God/Jesus...

God Bless!

I think an important one is about humility

1 Peter 5:5b "And be clothed with humility: for God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Upvote 0

Bugs Bunny

Jul 22, 2014
✟7,641.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very good list OP. I would add confessing our sins daily. It is a good habit and a good way to draw closer to God. Secondly, Asking God to open our ears so we can listen when he speaks. Third, being obedient by trusting and obeying His Word. Finally, fellowship with others who are like minded. Preparing our hearts before service and spending time with others who uplift and encourage and support us in our daily walks.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Very good list OP. I would add confessing our sins daily. It is a good habit and a good way to draw closer to God. Secondly, Asking God to open our ears so we can listen when he speaks. Third, being obedient by trusting and obeying His Word. Finally, fellowship with others who are like minded. Preparing our hearts before service and spending time with others who uplift and encourage and support us in our daily walks.

"I would add confessing our sins daily. It is a good habit and a good way to draw closer to God. Secondly, Asking God to open our ears so we can listen when he speak"

I think that would fall under the category of prayer though, don't you think?

Third, being obedient by trusting and obeying His Word.

I think that would be the fruit of doing these four things on a regular basis, don't you?

Finally, fellowship with others who are like minded. Preparing our hearts before service and spending time with others who uplift and encourage and support us in our daily walks.

Again, I think that would fall under the category of sharing, don't you think?

But, very good words and advice, thank you for your response...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think an important one is about humility

1 Peter 5:5b "And be clothed with humility: for God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

If we do these things on a regular basis, it should move us to humbleness, humility, meekness, mildness, kindness, generousity, thankfulness, ect. Fruits of God's good treasure in doing these things, don't you think?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In addition to prayer, fasting is also a good way to develop a deeper relationship with God. When we fast secretly, we show God that we really appreciate and want to strengthen our relationship with Him. God then rewards us accordingly. (Matthew 6:16-18)

Also, I want to put "obedience" up there high on the list of things we can do to strengthen our faith. Faith without works - faith which doesn't live and breathe within us - is not real faith at all. (James 2:14-26)

Jesus said, if we love Him, we should obey Him. To obey is better than sacrifice. Listening to and obeying Jesus is one of the most practical ways for us to bring our faith alive. It's important that we give obedience the critical importance it deserves.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
In addition to prayer, fasting is also a good way to develop a deeper relationship with God. When we fast secretly, we show God that we really appreciate and want to strengthen our relationship with Him. God then rewards us accordingly. (Matthew 6:16-18)

Also, I want to put "obedience" up there high on the list of things we can do to strengthen our faith. Faith without works - faith which doesn't live and breathe within us - is not real faith at all. (James 2:14-26)

Jesus said, if we love Him, we should obey Him. To obey is better than sacrifice. Listening to and obeying Jesus is one of the most practical ways for us to bring our faith alive. It's important that we give obedience the critical importance it deserves.

Fasting is a good one too, and so is obedience...

But, I was wondering, in your opinion, what does it mean to "obey" Jesus?, Keep in mind that it can't mean that we be "perfect", cause were not capable of that. So, keeping that in mind, what exactly does it mean to "obey" Jesus?

God Bless!

Upvote 0