Feb 15, 2013
San Antonio
Visit site
✟15,461.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is just another video that I made as I continue in my study of the bible. For those that don't know I am a Non Denom who questions a lot of stuff. I am trying to sort through study and answers to find the truth, chapter by chapter. thank you guys for helping by providing your insight on my questions

Genesis Chapter 3 Was Eden a real place or another world? - YouTube

Reactions: psalms 91

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is just another video that I made as I continue in my study of the bible. For those that don't know I am a Non Denom who questions a lot of stuff. I am trying to sort through study and answers to find the truth, chapter by chapter. thank you guys for helping by providing your insight on my questions

I had my doubts when I first got saved about whether I could trust the whole bible, but God didn't show me that I could until I laid down my doubt at His feet and surrendered my understanding to Him:

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Pro 3:7 Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.

When you start with doubt you only find more doubt, because without faith it is impossible to please God. You can't figure out the bible because all truth is revealed truth:

1 Corinthians 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Thankfully we have the Spirit of God within us whom guides us into all truth:

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Therefore you can trust God will lead you to the right answers, however in my experience He didn't do this until I surrendered my understanding to Him and trusted Him to lead me to those answers (in His time, in His way)

God bless

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Keep questioning, keep reading, keep praying, keep asking... all good things in my humble opinion.

I lean towards yes, it was a real place... that being said, I don't think one's salvation depends on "knowing" that answer.

Upvote 0

retlaw

Dec 2, 2010
✟8,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good questions. I don't know if Serpents talked or if Satan possessed the serpent and spoke through it. Adam and Even spoke directly to God so it appears as if they had a method of spiritual or physical communication that did not survive to later generations. I will mention that scientists have recently found fossils of a snake like creature that did have short legs.

I believe the bible is clear that Eden was a real place, but the sort of upheaval described by the biblical flood would have changed the face of the earth. Land masses may have changed, sea beds, rivers would have likely displaced. The Euphrates river in Iran may not be the same river described in the bible and since the Ark could have drifted for hundreds or even thousands of miles Eden could have been anywhere. To make matters more complicated the tectonic plates could have shifted rapidly during that time.

Bottom line is that place was probably buried beyond our ability to find.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Genesis Chapter 3 Was Eden a real place or another world? - YouTube

Yes, I believe that satan was in the form of a serpent at that time. Can it be argued that 'serpent' is metaphorical...some may think so. However, I believe it literally in this instance.

Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

Yes, I believe Eden to be a physical place considering it's description and the fact that Adam and Eve are human and needed actual substances to live etc. E.G. food

Genesis 2:10-14
10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[a] and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush. 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

As far as free will goes. I believe we have free will. However, I think God already knows what we will decide before we decided it. I think that He has a plan beyond our choices but considers process and our learning, growing, developing character etc. is important and for eternal good. (Romans 5:3-8)

Psalm 139:1-4
1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.

Psalm 139:15-16
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139:7-12
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it's good to ask questions and to be mindful of what we believe and why we believe it. This is good for our growth and relationship with God and when it comes to witnessing.

II Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Colossians 4:4-6
4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you take Genesis literally, then yes, Eden was a real place. However, has anyone ever seen that cherubim with the flaming sword, guarding the Tree of Life, in Eden? You'd think with satellite imagery, we'd be able to pinpoint it.

Also, was Satan (ha-satan) the serpent in the Garden of Eden? Genesis never makes that claim. Satan does not fall until the Book of Revelation, and if you are a futurist (Revelation has not happened yet...I haven't heard any trumpets), then Satan has yet to fall, which means that he was not the serpent, and he is not in the world working against God. I lean toward the Orthodox Judaism position on Satan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you take Genesis literally, then yes, Eden was a real place. However, has anyone ever seen that cherubim with the flaming sword, guarding the Tree of Life, in Eden? You'd think with satellite imagery, we'd be able to pinpoint it.

Also, was Satan (ha-satan) the serpent in the Garden of Eden? Genesis never makes that claim. Satan does not fall until the Book of Revelation, and if you are a futurist (Revelation has not happened yet...I haven't heard any trumpets), then Satan has yet to fall, which means that he was not the serpent, and he is not in the world working against God. I lean toward the Orthodox Judaism position on Satan.

The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

Upvote 0

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
BUBBLE OF ADAM AND EVE

Adam and Éva, as has the Bible, lived in the earthly paradise called Eden, God has entrusted to look after the land and water it .. lives in endless monotony, did not lack anything, apparently, and there were no worries on them.
We could say that they lived in a bubble because there came out and they could not,
they would not know where to go, and not know how to come back, were prisoners were not free.
And God said, Let us make man in our image and likeness and he did ... But, God is not a prisoner does not live in a bubble, God is absolutely free, freedom is an absolute, . And he gave this order: "You can eat all the trees in the garden,
except only the tree of knowledge of good and evil. In it you shall not eat, for in the day that you do, you are subject to death. "
The tree of knowledge of good and evil, .. therefore, Adam and Éva did not know what they were doing, because they ignored the good and bad, were absolutely ignorant, because they had never eaten the fruit of that tree ... But God is not ignorant ... God is omnipotent, God is intelligence, God is the knowledge of all, things, God is love * - conditions to be free.
Why did God plant the tree of good and evil and then Adam and Éva forbids eating of its fruit? - Aahh, great dilemma, God can not make to forces or do anything out of obligation but only by love ..

TEMPTATION

Human beings, we are tempted by those things that attract us and our imagination , power, fame, and money, the three things together or individually, by this means we get what we crave.

A snake climbs the tree the fruit of good and evil, eat the fruits and not dies, Éva saw and the rest made their own imagination, was tempted - When the woman saw that the tree was good for food and pleasing to sight and desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, then gave it to her husband, who was with her, and he ate. - then opened the eyes of the two and found that they were naked. So loincloths were made, weaving fig leaves.

God knew they had eaten of the tree of good and evil, cast out of the Garden of Eden, because it was necessary to develop their intelligence and knowledge acquired since, - living in paradise being ignorant to the height of not knowing what is right and what is wrong, is like giving a jewel of great value to a pig, does not make sense to live in ignorance anywhere in the universe, all the same to live in a desert, always be living in a bubble, the bubble of ignorance.

God was not upset because they had eaten the fruit * banned - on the contrary, was glad, because even in their ignorance, the two had made a choice, reason, analyze and decide for oneself is the beginning of freedom even if mistakes and have to earn their bread by the sweat of his brow.

After expelling them, God say, Aha! - Behold, the man is become as one of us in the knowledge of good and evil. - That's how Adam and Éva broke the bubble that was tied to a paradise that could not enjoy because of ignorance

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2013
San Antonio
Visit site
✟15,461.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I really like this forum for the simple fact that there is a lot of thinkers who incorporate logical sense into their faith. I think it is very wrong for us to go out side of this and just ignore everything that is logical and call THAT "faith"

I have faith in God and that Jesus is my savior. To say that I need to "not question" the word of man because he is a preacher or something of that nature is putting faith in "man". To read the English Holly Bible which was interpreted by "man" and not try to dig into and find the true meaning of it, is putting faith in "man". This is just how I feel about that subject.

As far as Eden, I thank you guys for your feedback and I as I read through your responses I find it quite interesting that people think that Eden was in a certain location based on what the scripture said, considering there was a great flood that very well would have moved a lot of things. I have not watched that movie that was recommended but I think I will tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have faith in God and that Jesus is my savior. To say that I need to "not question" the word of man because he is a preacher or something of that nature is putting faith in "man". To read the English Holly Bible which was interpreted by "man" and not try to dig into and find the true meaning of it, is putting faith in "man". This is just how I feel about that subject.

:)

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yes I am well aware of that verse from Revelation 12:9.

Are you aware that the English word Satan comes from the Hebrew ha-satan, and that it is not a name, but a title? It means "the adversary." It does not necessarily denote a specific individual. People can be referred to as ha-satan (and are). The KJV repeatedly butchered the translation for ha-satan (and several others).

The correct Hebrew to English phrasing should be, "...that ancient serpent called the 'Malshin' (accuser) and 'Ha-satan' (adversary)..."

No mention of a being by name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you aware that the English word Satan comes from the Hebrew ha-satan, and that it is not a name, but a title? It means "the adversary." It does not necessarily denote a specific individual. People can be referred to as ha-satan (and are). The KJV repeatedly butchered the translation for ha-satan (and several others).

The correct Hebrew to English phrasing should be, "...that ancient serpent called the 'Malshin' (accuser) and 'Ha-satan' (adversary)..."

Are you saying that the Satan that God talked to in Job is different from the Satan referred to in Revelation? Note the verse says "that ancient serpent", placing him in the garden. Jesus called Satan the father of lies and we see the first lie ever told in the scripture is told by the serpent.

Job 1:7 The LORD said to Satan, "From where have you come?" Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."

Mat_4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you saying that the Satan that God talked to in Job is different from the Satan referred to in Revelation? Note the verse says "that ancient serpent", placing him in the garden. Jesus called Satan the father of lies and we see the first lie ever told in the scripture is told by the serpent.

Job 1:7 The LORD said to Satan, "From where have you come?" Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."

Mat_4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

My position on Satan is well known via another thread. However...

In Job, Satan is performing his duty as assigned to him by God. He is under God's authority and rule. Satan can't do anything without God's permission. Remember, it is God that brought Job up to Satan, not the other way around.

Furthermore, you need to use verses in context. You can't cherry pick them and then apply them to fit your mold or belief. I could do the same thing and totally destroy the image of Jesus, based off cherry picked verses.

Lastly, Revelation does not place a being NAMED Satan anywhere. It places a serpent (Genesis never says snake), who, according to the actual Hebrew words used, is called the adversary and the accuser. Satan is merely the English transliteration of Ha-satan, which is Hebrew for "the adversary" or "the accuser," depending on the use of the word.

In other words, it is the old dragon, the serpent, who is the accuser and adversary. Do you believe in dragons? According to Revelation (in English), they exist...or is that just another metaphor?

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well, luckily I used the NIV. :) I'm aware that different people can translate the Bible in differing ways.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My position on Satan is well known via another thread. However...

In Job, Satan is performing his duty as assigned to him by God. He is under God's authority and rule. Satan can't do anything without God's permission. Remember, it is God that brought Job up to Satan, not the other way around.

Furthermore, you need to use verses in context. You can't cherry pick them and then apply them to fit your mold or belief. I could do the same thing and totally destroy the image of Jesus, based off cherry picked verses.

Lastly, Revelation does not place a being NAMED Satan anywhere. It places a serpent (Genesis never says snake), who, according to the actual Hebrew words used, is called the adversary and the accuser. Satan is merely the English transliteration of Ha-satan, which is Hebrew for "the adversary" or "the accuser," depending on the use of the word.

In other words, it is the old dragon, the serpent, who is the accuser and adversary. Do you believe in dragons? According to Revelation (in English), they exist...or is that just another metaphor?

Not well know to all of us apparently. ;)

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Eden was a real place. It is listed as being located between several rivers.

Waters in Hebrew is an idiom for people while 'mighty waters', ie rivers are a reference to the angels assigned to the garden.

Post flood mighty rivers were named for those angels. That doesn't give us the location of Eden. Most likely Eden is in modern day Israel. Where else would Yah send His people or have his temple built?

Upvote 0