Was Christ a Bodhisattva?

B

Bodhisattva

Hi. This question is for people with an open understanding of both Buddhism and Christ (not Christianity).

A Bodhisattva is defined this way:

"A Bodhisattva is motivated by pure compassion and love. Their goal is to achieve the highest level of being: that of a Buddha. Bodhisattva is a Sanskrit term which translates as: Bodhi [enlightenment] and sattva [being]. And their reason for becoming a Buddha is to help others. The Bodhisattva will undergo any type of suffering to help another sentient being, whether a tiny insect or a huge mammal. In Shakyamuni Buddha’s 'Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines' it states: “I will become a savior to all those beings, I will release them from all their sufferings.”"

"In Mahayana Buddhism, a bodhisattva has the compassionate determination to aid all beings on their quest for the highest state of development, full enlightenment of a Buddha."

So I'm asking, could Jesus of Nazareth be considered a Bodhisattva? Take what he says and does, what he says and does and not what anyone has said or done in his name, and consider it.

It's just an interesting thought, in my opinion.

(Note: This has nothing to do with my username. I am in no way on a spiritual level equal to that of Jesus Christ. I feel I am motivated by pure compassion and love, however, and I do in a Buddhist sense and common way wish to ease the suffering of others.)

If any Buddhists can offer a better definition of a Bodhisattva in proof that Christ was not one, I welcome that, too.

It is my belief that Jesus Christ was, in fact, a Bodhisattva. I very much adore his teaching and life example. But because of certain details I cannot call myself a Christian. I do, however, strive to be Christlike.

I hope no Christians take offense that I am applying a Buddhist term to Jesus Christ, it is simply how I have come to think about him.

Please, no flaming. If you disagree, please do it in a cordial and possibly brief manner.

Reactions: hupto

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you do believe that Jesus was divine at all, it would seem like he is far more than a Bodhisattva. Bodhisattvas wanted achieve enlightenment, or oneness with god(or do they believe enlightenment is something else?), while Jesus was the incarnation of God himself.

If you do not believe that Jesus was the son of God, then yes I suppose he would be a Bodhisattva, or something close to it.

Upvote 0
O

Onemonthman

gaijin178 said:
What is that supposed to be? Are you trying to say Om? Either way, your mocking is not appreciated and I really wish that you would refrain from this kind of post which serves no purpose.
You would need to see where the person I was responding to in another post decided to mock me. Now in this one he decided to call me ignorant of my own faith. I am merely not going to get into a slam fest with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaijin178

Seeker
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,449.00
Faith
Buddhist
I did read that. And by the way, your response to the OP was mocking in nature as well. You say that you are not going to get into a slam fest with him yet you did something just as bad by your comment. If you want people to respect your viewpoint, you have to give respect, even when respect isn't given to you.

Upvote 0
O

Onemonthman

gaijin178 said:
I did read that. And by the way, your response to the OP was mocking in nature as well. You say that you are not going to get into a slam fest with him yet you did something just as bad by your comment. If you want people to respect your viewpoint, you have to give respect, even when respect isn't given to you.
I honestly do not care if people respect my viewpoint. And my response to the op was not mocking. I answered the question asked in the simplest terms. I do not really care how people see that. I do not go to boards that are designed for pagan religions but if I did, I sure would not expect them to pamper me and cater to my belief system. I find it funny that this is the expectation on this board. Well, that is not me.

Upvote 0

Mystikiwi

Nov 12, 2004
✟793.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Bodhisattva said:
A Bodhisattva is motivated by pure compassion and love ...to help others. ...In Shakyamuni Buddha’s 'Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines' it states: “I will become a savior to all those beings, I will release them from all their sufferings.”

So I'm asking, could Jesus of Nazareth be considered a Bodhisattva?
Yes, I think so. :)
Jesus was similar to the Dalai Lama and Gandhi.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste all,

this is an interesting topic, to be sure.

i think that we need to be fairly clear that an understanding of Jesus does not, necessarily, make one a Christian as an understanding of Buddhism does not make one a Buddhist.

i think that you've provided a fair description of some functional aspects of a Bodhisattva, at least enough for our conversation at this time :)

so... to really get to the heart of the question, we need to have an understanding of the process by which a being becomes a Bodhisattva.

by way of reference, my information is based on the text Bodhichiyavatara by Shantideva.

as we know, the beginning of a beings progress along the Bodhisattva path is characterized by the awakening of Bodhichitta, the Heart of Compassion. this is the experience of desireing the wellbeing and happiness of others more than your own. i think that Jesus can certainly be said to have this experience.

the Bodhisattva path is the path of the Mahayana, though the Theravedan tradition also has this path, it's not really emphasized. nevertheless, in the scope of the Mahayana ones cognition of sunyata is paramount for progress along the path. simplistically, Sunyata is the experience of the interdependece of all phenomena and the experiential realization of the inherent lack of permenence in phenomena, with the specific case being the lack of a permenantly existing, independent self or soul. Jesus most certainly did not teach this, though he may have understood it, we simply cannot know.

from my point of view, i think that we need to be very careful when saying that Jesus was a Bodhisattva. i feel that a more proper statement would be that Jesus was an emmanation of a Bodhisattva, in particular, the Bodhisattva of Compassion, Avelokiteshavara.

it is also important that we be mindful of the tradition from which our vantage point is derived and not try to mix terms and concepts. from the Buddhist paradigm, we aren't able to ceed to Jesus what is claimed for him, namely, that he is the only begotten Son of God, which is a central tenet for most Christian sects. thus, we accord to him our traditional equilivent.

i think that, in the end, we do both traditions a disservice. we denigrate the Chrisitan view of the Son of God and we compromise the Buddhist Bodhisattva ideal.

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
gaijin178 said:
What is that supposed to be? Are you trying to say Om? Either way, your mocking is not appreciated and I really wish that you would refrain from this kind of post which serves no purpose.
he was trying to gain 1 more blessing...thats his only purpose :D

OM :)

Upvote 0

El_Ayin

Watchman on the wall
Aug 24, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bodhisattva said:
:

"A Bodhisattva is motivated by pure compassion and love. In Shakyamuni Buddha’s 'Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines' it states: “I will become a savior to all those beings, I will release them from all their sufferings.”"

So I'm asking, could Jesus of Nazareth be considered a Bodhisattva? Take what he says and does, what he says and does and not what anyone has said or done in his name, and consider it.

It's just an interesting thought, in my opinion.
By the definition of Bodhisattva I would have to say yes.

Upvote 0
B

Bodhisattva

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I feel that in a basic structural term of Christ when applied to his actions and words and not his place (mortal or Son of God), he is definitely a Bodhisattva.

It's too bad some flaming occured anyway, I guess it can't be helped sometimes.

I'm grateful to everyone who contributed. Guess the thread isn't necessarily over but can it now generally be agreed upon that Jesus, in basic terms, was a Bodhisattva?

Upvote 0