Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When Judah and Israel split and Israel started to worship idols, the 'TRUE' Jews from Israel went down to Judah. Those that remained in the north in Israel weren't following God's law they became heathen.

.....there's another reference in the new Testament where someone other than Paul tells which tribe they came from. Judah eventually contained the faithful, and those who remained in Israel were after wealth, luxury and eventually were integrated into paganism. They were no longer Jews in the eyes of God or Judah.

There was a split, but the faithfull (whatever tribe they came from) went South to Judah.
Good post :thumbsup:
Remembering also that the 2 tribes of Benjamin and Levi remained with the tribe of Judah to form the House of Judah.

[/b]]Page Error
THE TWO HOUSES OF ISRAEL

Genesis 49:88 Judah! thou--thy brethren praise thee! Thy hand [is] on the neck of thine enemies, Sons of thy father bow themselves to thee.
9 A lion's whelp [is] Judah, For prey, my son, thou hast gone up; He hath bent, he hath crouched as a lion, And as a lioness; who causeth him to arise?
10 The sceptre turneth not aside from Judah, And a lawgiver from between his feet, Till his Seed come; And his [is] the obedience of peoples.

Young) Matthew 2:6 And thou, Beth-Lehem, the land of Judah, thou art by no means the least among the leaders of Judah, for out of thee shall come one leading, who shall feed/be shepherding My people Israel.'

Young) Revelation 5:5 and one of the elders saith to me, `Weep not; behold! overcome did the Lion, Who is of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, to open the scroll, and to loose the seven seals of it;

Reactions: Tyndale
Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Was he Jewish?

To be honest, I don't know if Abraham was a Jew. He was of Chaldean descent. That should make him a Chaldean. I am sure that the term Jew was used to speak of Judeans, residents of Judah, but that would have been after the Babylonian captivity.

Abraham is like no other individual in history, in his God-ordained influence and his originating three major people groups. Those groups are Isaac's offspring, Ishmael's offspring and the Christians, Abraham's seed/descendants/offspring (different bible versions), heirs according to the promise (Gal 3:29).

These few consideration make the original question, a difficult one. I have done the best I can with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

David64

To be honest, I don't know if Abraham was a Jew. He was of Chaldean descent. That should make him a Chaldean. I am sure that the term Jew was used to speak of Judeans, residents of Judah, but that would have been after the Babylonian captivity.

Abraham is like no other individual in history, in his God-ordained influence and his originating three major people groups. Those groups are Isaac's offspring, Ishmael's offspring and the Christians, Abraham's seed/descendants/offspring (different bible versions), heirs according to the promise (Gal 3:29).

These few consideration make the original question, a difficult one. I have done the best I can with it.
It's not difficult at all.
Just go back and read Posts # 62, 64, 66 and then compare them to your own Bible.

Upvote 0

John 07

May 24, 2010
inner
✟15,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Simple question. Was Abraham a Jew or a gentile?
I agree with those who say Abraham was a Hebrew, not Jewish,
and there seems to be many different peoples from Eber...
1Ch 1:19-23 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother's name was Joktan. 20 And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah, 21 Hadoram also, and Uzal, and Diklah, 22 And Ebal, and Abimael, and Sheba, 23 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.​

Joktan had 13 sons (who had sons etc) who were all Hebrews, alongside all the peoples of the line going through Peleg to Abram. eg,
Gen 11:19 And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.
lots of Hebrews besides sons of Abraham

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not difficult at all.
Just go back and read Posts # 62, 64, 66 and then compare them to your own Bible.

I did read the posts. You said read the bible. I finally did what I should have done in the first place. I did a word search for the first occurrence of the word 'Hebrew'. It occurred in Ge 14:13 kjv "And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did read the posts. You said read the bible. I finally did what I should have done in the first place. I did a word search for the first occurrence of the word 'Hebrew'. It occurred in Ge 14:13 kjv "And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram."
Lexicons/concordance can be quite useful sometimes :)

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV
"abram"
occurs 61 times in 50 verses in the KJV

Gen 11:26And Terah 8646 lived 2421 seventy 7657 years 8141, and begat 3205 Abram 87, Nahor 5152, and Haran 2039.

87 'Abram ab-rawm' contracted from 48; high father; Abram, the original name of Abraham:--Abram.

48 'Abiyram ab-ee-rawm' from 1 and 7311; father of height (i.e. lofty); Abiram, the name of two Israelites:--Abiram

Upvote 0

Biscuithands

Nov 18, 2011
✟15,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure this question has been answered by now but here's my 2-cents.

Abram was a descendant of a guy named Eber. In English, his name is Heber. Genesis 14:13 mentions Abram the Hebrew. So, Abram (who's name was later changed to Abraham-Genesis 17:5) was an Eberite (descendant of Eber) and in English, a Heberew (Hebrew).

Abraham begat Isaac and Isaac begat Jacob (who's name was later changed to Israel-Genesis 32:28). Israel begat 12 sons, one of which was Judah. The descendants of Judah were called, Jews. In essence, Abraham was far from being a Jew ... since Jews did not exist when Abraham was alive.

Hebrews consist of 12-tribes. The tribe of Judah was 1 out of 12. So, all Jews are Hebrews but not all Hebrews are Jews.

http://www.biscuithands.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sure this question has been answered by now but here's my 2-cents.

Abram was a descendant of a guy named Eber. In English, his name is Heber. Genesis 14:13 mentions Abram the Hebrew. So, Abram (who's name was later changed to Abraham-Genesis 17:5) was an Eberite (descendant of Eber) and in English, a Heberew (Hebrew).

Abraham begat Isaac and Isaac begat Jacob (who's name was later changed to Israel-Genesis 32:28). Israel begat 12 sons, one of which was Judah. The descendants of Judah were called, Jews. In essence, Abraham was far from being a Jew ... since Jews did not exist when Abraham was alive.

Hebrews consist of 12-tribes. The tribe of Judah was 1 out of 12. So, all Jews are Hebrews but not all Hebrews are Jews.

BiscuitHands, The Animated Musical
There is also this intersting site on the word "jew" in the Bible :angel:

History of God's Holy Bible and the so-called Jews

The Etymology of the Word "Jew"

In his classic Facts are Facts, Jewish historian, researcher and scholar Benjamin Freedman writes:

According to Strong's Greek Lexicon, the English word "Jewry" in this verse was translated from the Greek word #2449 Ioudaia {ee-oo-dah'-yah} feminine for the land of Judea.

Modern translations no longer use the word "Jewry" but the correct translation, "Judea," as in the New American Standard Bible: "And after these things Jesus was walking in Galilee; for He was unwilling to walk in Judea, because the Jews were seeking to kill Him."
The New International Version uses the same word. However, these translations continue to improperly use the word "Jews" in the same verse. A consistent translation would read:". . . He was unwilling to walk in Judea, because the Judeans were seeking to kill Him."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by CGL1023 Abraham seems to have been a pseudo(or pre-Christ)-Christian. No less than the Lord Himself preached the Gospel to Abraham(Galatians 3:8). Abraham believed God and it was counted to Him as righteousness(Romans 4:3). Abraham was counted a friend of God(James 2:23).

We, as Christians, are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise.(Galatians 3:29).
Was he Jewish?
Good question brin.

What does it mean to be "Jewish"?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
i don't have a clue....i still get confused with Judah and Israel.
Would make for an interesting discussion, me thinks :idea:

Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for NKJV
"judah" AND "israel"
occurs in 195 verses in the NKJV, including 1 exact phrase shown first.
exact phrase (Zec 1:19 - Zec 1:19)
remaining matches (Gen 43:8 - 2Sa 24:1)

NKJV) Zechariah 1:19 And I said to the angel who talked with me, "What [are] these?" So he answered me, "These [are] the horns that have scattered Judah, Israel, and Jerusalem."

The Two Houses Of Israel - Here a little, there a little - Prophecy

THE TWO HOUSES OF ISRAEL

There is a general error among most Christians and a lot of Jews regarding the identity of the children of Israel. Because of a general lack of historical understanding, most Christians believe that the Jews are ALL of the people chosen by God in the Old Testament. Additionally, many Christians believe that they belong to an unrelated group known biblically as "Gentiles." In this article, we are going to show from the Scriptures that both of these conclusions are founded on incorrect assumptions.
First, let's examine the Scriptures to see who God chose as His own special people:

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
To be fair, though, it's an anachronistic question. He wouldn't be either of them since those kind of distinctions didn't yet exist.

Technically, "gentile" is the Latin-based designation for the later, Jewish term ערל, meaning "foreskinned" (sometimes translated erroniously as "uncircumcised").

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by RND Simple question. Was Abraham a Jew or a gentile?
And a Hebrew one at that ;)

Genesis 14:13 And one who is escaping cometh and declareth to Abram the Hebrew, and he is dwelling among the oaks of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner, and they [are] Abram's allies.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To be fair, though, it's an anachronistic question. He wouldn't be either of them since those kind of distinctions didn't yet exist.

Technically, "gentile" is the Latin-based designation for the later, Jewish term ערל, meaning "foreskinned" (sometimes translated erroniously as "uncircumcised").
Interesting. I never really thought of that.

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Abraham was Hebrew, from the Adamic line and from him came Israel (as well as Arabs).

He wasn't a gentile for gentiles are....

1471 Goy - a foreign nation, a massing of animals or locusts, heathen nations/people.

The line from Adam through Noah through Abraham through Jacob/Israel to Jesus Christ has never been gentile. They are God's chosen.

Upvote 0