Wanting to return to worship ministry but don't want the drama of last time...

TheGreenUke

Bassist
Mar 23, 2012
Middlesbrough, Teeside, UK
✟181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I apologise if this seems a little long or whingey, but I would really appreciate some help on this one.

I was actually inspired to actually pick up a bass (as opposed to just listening to it!) in part by seeing my old church's worship band play. I was really keen to play the bass in church myself, and felt called to play by God.

But what really frustrated me is the shabby treatment I seemed to get from the main bandleader, who oversaw all three main worship bands including the induction of new members. I'm really trying hard to be charitable here, but I felt at the time very much messed about by this guy.

Firstly, when I approached him he seemed keen to get a new bassist (my main instrument) into the team as there was only one permanent bassist on the team
Cue almost a year of promises of an audition and some practice time with the band and I was still waiting. Endless phonecalls later and a meeting after church and I finally got auditioned.

And then when I did finally get put into the band rota, I was essentially a second-class member, playing when someone remembered to put me on the rota, even when I was supoosed to be putting in all the same practice time as everyone else and when I was being told I was 'called to be in this band' and all this. I was also shunted around all four of the worship bands, and couldn't really build any sort of a playing relationship with anyone. One moment I was playing with a keyboard-fronted band with all-female singers, the next minute I was expected to be playing with an all-male band with rock-style vocals.

I'm really trying to avoid all this drama the second time around, so can anyone think of any way I can at least minimize the drama?

HappyChristian155

HappyChristian155
Mar 31, 2012
Northern Ireland
✟15,113.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Sorry to hear of your problems playing with the band in church. You are not being whingey! Perhaps you could check each Sunday with the person in charge of the band and try to find out if you will be included the following week. The band leader is overseeing 3 or 4 bands, which seems a bit confusing for him! However, that does not excuse the shabby treatment and I understand how frustrating this must be for you! You could try saying that you need to plan ahead and just wondered if you would be included in a particular band next week, so you could concentrate on practising for their pieces.
I play piano in a small praise group in our church but we are very open to new musicians, and if someone is keen to play, they don't audition, but just come along and are made very welcome to join in. We have never had any disasters! I believe if someone is keen to join in they should be encouraged and developed.
Unfortunately not all praise bands are like that. Please do persevere and don't give up easily. They will realise that your talent is a very important part of the whole band and I'm sure you will eventually start to feel included.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TheGreenUke

Bassist
Mar 23, 2012
Middlesbrough, Teeside, UK
✟181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Sorry to hear of your problems playing with the band in church. You are not being whingey! Perhaps you could check each Sunday with the person in charge of the band and try to find out if you will be included the following week. The band leader is overseeing 3 or 4 bands, which seems a bit confusing for him! However, that does not excuse the shabby treatment and I understand how frustrating this must be for you! You could try saying that you need to plan ahead and just wondered if you would be included in a particular band next week, so you could concentrate on practising for their pieces.
I play piano in a small praise group in our church but we are very open to new musicians, and if someone is keen to play, they don't audition, but just come along and are made very welcome to join in. We have never had any disasters! I believe if someone is keen to join in they should be encouraged and developed.
Unfortunately not all praise bands are like that. Please do persevere and don't give up easily. They will realise that your talent is a very important part of the whole band and I'm sure you will eventually start to feel included.:thumbsup:

I should possibly point out that I've since left that church, but joined another Baptist church (which is what my old one was).

But yes, I should really just keep going. There's other bands and other opportunities for me to play.

Upvote 0